πŸ₯‡ BANNER 80 early copper coins cache.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

Drove down to a new area I had my eyes on for a while. There was something with that part of the woods that attracted my attention as it was a small hill surrounded by crazy old trees, near a small stream and all that in an area known for early settlements. The sun was already coming down and I only had a few hours of detecting left, so I took my trusted Deus and went right to the task of exploring the site.

Within a minute or two I hit a small patch covered with iron signals with some strong high tones coming through. Took my shovel and dug the spot where the signal was coming from. A large sized copper coin the size of 1810-1820 halfpenny token fell out of the ground which made me pretty glad since I wasn't expecting much on a 2 hours hunt. Just before covering the ground decided to check the hole again and got an other good signal. Went to check it with my pinpointer and found an other copper of a similar size. Well, that's unusual.., but by reflex checked again and an other copper coin was in the ground....What the hell.... Went over a few inches of the hole with my detector and more good signals were coming through iron noise. And the story repeated itself again and again for the 1,5 hours I spent there. At the end of the day, was leaving with the pocket heavy with large coppers, 36 in all on that first hunt.

20210926_183957.jpg

Most were in a pretty good shape, with 70% survival rate. All coins are pre 1820 with one exception of an American half cent 1828 which was a few feet a part so possibly lost separately. The coins were mostly US Cents 1802-1803, Canadian halfpennies 1812-1818, some George III, one Machin's and one beat Wood's Hibernia. The better ones are in this pic.

20210927_084035.jpg

Couldn't leave it at that, so decided to go back for an other hunt hoping to get a few that I left behind... Wasn't expecting 28 more coppers, all within a foot or two from the first hole.

In all 64 early copper coins from the same small spot which makes me think an early cache as the total coins weight is close to a pound of copper and it couldn't possibly be part of a dropped coin purse.

Better coins from the second 2 hours hunt.

20211002_115913.jpg

Did find a few early buttons (not nearly as many as coins) in the surrounding area but not at the coins spot. Was pretty happy to find colonial period spectacles with one lens still intact, never found those before.

20211002_114604.jpg

Here's the whole family reunited after cleaning.

20211002_142328b.jpg

All I can say, I wasn't expecting that... Made for a great hunt, that's for sure.

Thanks for the comments.

P.S. Went back to get the temple pieces of those glasses and found 6 more coins. So that makes for a total of 70 large coppers. One of the coins appears to be a counterfeit George III ''Bull Head'' shilling (1816-1820) made of pewter of some kind. Here's the pic of the coins that aren't in a group picture and the complete spectacles.

20211003_124722.jpg

20211003_124628.jpg

20211003_134255.jpg

P.P.S. Went there again for an other 2 hours (weather doesn't permit any more detecting time) and found 10 more coins. Two Spread Eagles 1813, Isaak Brock 1816, 1777 George III and 1837 Halfpenny which was a few feet away so probably wasn't part of the original cache. The rest of the coins were either too worn to ID or lesser condition George III halfpennies.
Changed the title of the post to reflect the updated number which is 80 at this point.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 162
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What can I say Anton, except this is definitely a find of historical proportions my friend! :occasion14:
I can't get over the condition of these coins, these were obviously an early deposit. I love to speculate why and how they ended up being found in this location. As you mentioned, likely an early cache, as it couldn't possibly be part of a dropped coin purse.

The clarity of your pics and your back story make this an incredible post and find!
Please consider sharing this with our members on CMD as well. :thumbsup:

Congrats on achieving your latest Tnet BANNER!
Dave
Thanks Dave. I'll try to post on CMD. Found 16 more coins since the original post, so that makes 80 coins in all.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freaking Awesome!!! That is the kind of hunt we all wish to have, Congrats!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

Drove down to a new area I had my eyes on for a while. There was something with that part of the woods that attracted my attention as it was a small hill surrounded by crazy old trees, near a small stream and all that in an area known for early settlements. The sun was already coming down and I only had a few hours of detecting left, so I took my trusted Deus and went right to the task of exploring the site.

Within a minute or two I hit a small patch covered with iron signals with some strong high tones coming through. Took my shovel and dug the spot where the signal was coming from. A large sized copper coin the size of 1810-1820 halfpenny token fell out of the ground which made me pretty glad since I wasn't expecting much on a 2 hours hunt. Just before covering the ground decided to check the hole again and got an other good signal. Went to check it with my pinpointer and found an other copper of a similar size. Well, that's unusual.., but by reflex checked again and an other copper coin was in the ground....What the hell.... Went over a few inches of the hole with my detector and more good signals were coming through iron noise. And the story repeated itself again and again for the 1,5 hours I spent there. At the end of the day, was leaving with the pocket heavy with large coppers, 36 in all on that first hunt.

View attachment 1983168

Most were in a pretty good shape, with 70% survival rate. All coins are pre 1820 with one exception of an American half cent 1828 which was a few feet a part so possibly lost separately. The coins were mostly US Cents 1802-1803, Canadian halfpennies 1812-1818, some George III, one Machin's and one beat Wood's Hibernia. The better ones are in this pic.

View attachment 1983169

Couldn't leave it at that, so decided to go back for an other hunt hoping to get a few that I left behind... Wasn't expecting 28 more coppers, all within a foot or two from the first hole.

In all 64 early copper coins from the same small spot which makes me think an early cache as the total coins weight is close to a pound of copper and it couldn't possibly be part of a dropped coin purse.

View attachment 1983170

Did find a few early buttons (not nearly as many as coins) in the surrounding area but not at the coins spot. Was pretty happy to find colonial period spectacles with one lens still intact, never found those before.

View attachment 1983171

View attachment 1983174

All I can say, I wasn't expecting that... Made for a great hunt, that's for sure.

Thanks for the comments.

P.S. Went back to get the temple pieces of those glasses and found 6 more coins. So that makes for a total of 70 large coppers. One of the coins appears to be a counterfeit George III ''Bull Head'' shilling (1816-1820) made of pewter of some kind. Here's the pic of the coins that aren't in a group picture and the complete spectacles.

View attachment 1983308

View attachment 1983309
View attachment 1983311

P.P.S. Went there again for an other 2 hours (weather doesn't permit any more detecting time) and found 10 more coins. Two Spread Eagles 1813, Isaak Brock 1816, 1777 George III and 1837 Halfpenny which was a few feet away so probably wasn't part of the original cache. The rest of the coins were either too worn to ID or lesser condition George III halfpennies.
Changed the title of the post to reflect the updated number which is 80 at this point.

View attachment 1983507
All i can say is WOW...
:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Jeff Beaumont

Apr 16, 2021
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Apex, Garrett 300. Tesoro Cibola.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone,

View attachment 1983168

View attachment 1983169

View attachment 1983170

View attachment 1983171

View attachment 1983174

Thanks for the comments.

View attachment 1983308

View attachment 1983309
View attachment 1983311

View attachment 1983507
Well done, what a fabulous find, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Big Congrats Awesome find.

Crazy how we are drawn to areas. We do the same here. Sometimes just reading the land is the ticket to finding good ground.

Surprised no early silvers showed.

Jer
Thanks JerV3. Too bad for silver but the similarity in coins found makes me think it's a cache even more.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
He was a thief, stole some money but got shot doing it, was able to get on his horse & the horse got scared from all the noise and took off. Several hours later, the thief died right there where you found the loot. The guy was upper, middle years & needed glasses. His first name was Martin. The horse was finally found by a pretty girl about 13 years old....
You forgot the horse's name.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad to hear someone likes peroxide as much as I for dug copper. It just seems to remove the dirt better than water alone.

Congrats again and thanks for going back for the rest of the eye glass frames and sharing with us. (Like you had a choice! LOL)
Thanks PetesPockets55
I never use water on copper coins, it destroys the patina. G
Yep, had no choice for glasses, needed to know if the frame was still there.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
big congrats on the finds! I bet there is still some goodies hiding in there.
banner worthy.
Thanks leonidas. There might be more stuff. I did go back and found a nice brooch with some stone, plus some more coppers. The total is 85 so far.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! what a haul of Bretons! I love the Brocks and Wellingtons. Very nice group of what was circulating in the early 18's in Canada. Great clean job too, love the patina... are they stabilized now?
Yes, all sealed in wax.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anton, your find reminded me of the 178 silver coins that Beau Ouimette found in a river in 2011.
In case you haven't seen the video...

I think your find is very significant having been found here in Canada, as discoveries like yours are not made very often.

Congrats again bud,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread