πŸ₯‡ BANNER 80 early copper coins cache.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

Drove down to a new area I had my eyes on for a while. There was something with that part of the woods that attracted my attention as it was a small hill surrounded by crazy old trees, near a small stream and all that in an area known for early settlements. The sun was already coming down and I only had a few hours of detecting left, so I took my trusted Deus and went right to the task of exploring the site.

Within a minute or two I hit a small patch covered with iron signals with some strong high tones coming through. Took my shovel and dug the spot where the signal was coming from. A large sized copper coin the size of 1810-1820 halfpenny token fell out of the ground which made me pretty glad since I wasn't expecting much on a 2 hours hunt. Just before covering the ground decided to check the hole again and got an other good signal. Went to check it with my pinpointer and found an other copper of a similar size. Well, that's unusual.., but by reflex checked again and an other copper coin was in the ground....What the hell.... Went over a few inches of the hole with my detector and more good signals were coming through iron noise. And the story repeated itself again and again for the 1,5 hours I spent there. At the end of the day, was leaving with the pocket heavy with large coppers, 36 in all on that first hunt.

20210926_183957.jpg

Most were in a pretty good shape, with 70% survival rate. All coins are pre 1820 with one exception of an American half cent 1828 which was a few feet a part so possibly lost separately. The coins were mostly US Cents 1802-1803, Canadian halfpennies 1812-1818, some George III, one Machin's and one beat Wood's Hibernia. The better ones are in this pic.

20210927_084035.jpg

Couldn't leave it at that, so decided to go back for an other hunt hoping to get a few that I left behind... Wasn't expecting 28 more coppers, all within a foot or two from the first hole.

In all 64 early copper coins from the same small spot which makes me think an early cache as the total coins weight is close to a pound of copper and it couldn't possibly be part of a dropped coin purse.

Better coins from the second 2 hours hunt.

20211002_115913.jpg

Did find a few early buttons (not nearly as many as coins) in the surrounding area but not at the coins spot. Was pretty happy to find colonial period spectacles with one lens still intact, never found those before.

20211002_114604.jpg

Here's the whole family reunited after cleaning.

20211002_142328b.jpg

All I can say, I wasn't expecting that... Made for a great hunt, that's for sure.

Thanks for the comments.

P.S. Went back to get the temple pieces of those glasses and found 6 more coins. So that makes for a total of 70 large coppers. One of the coins appears to be a counterfeit George III ''Bull Head'' shilling (1816-1820) made of pewter of some kind. Here's the pic of the coins that aren't in a group picture and the complete spectacles.

20211003_124722.jpg

20211003_124628.jpg

20211003_134255.jpg

P.P.S. Went there again for an other 2 hours (weather doesn't permit any more detecting time) and found 10 more coins. Two Spread Eagles 1813, Isaak Brock 1816, 1777 George III and 1837 Halfpenny which was a few feet away so probably wasn't part of the original cache. The rest of the coins were either too worn to ID or lesser condition George III halfpennies.
Changed the title of the post to reflect the updated number which is 80 at this point.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 162
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The site keeps on giving (not as much as the first few hunts but still cool) Found 3 more coins, two of them being in a pretty good condition. Didn't clean them yet, pic is pretty much of the condition pulled from the ground. I suspect they weren't part of the original group as they were a few feet away, or they were displaced by some machinery later on. These coins bring the total to 89 early coppers.
20211011_224514.jpg

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Ho Lee Shyth!!!

mddavis3

May 13, 2019
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone,

Drove down to a new area I had my eyes on for a while. There was something with that part of the woods that attracted my attention as it was a small hill surrounded by crazy old trees, near a small stream and all that in an area known for early settlements. The sun was already coming down and I only had a few hours of detecting left, so I took my trusted Deus and went right to the task of exploring the site.

Within a minute or two I hit a small patch covered with iron signals with some strong high tones coming through. Took my shovel and dug the spot where the signal was coming from. A large sized copper coin the size of 1810-1820 halfpenny token fell out of the ground which made me pretty glad since I wasn't expecting much on a 2 hours hunt. Just before covering the ground decided to check the hole again and got an other good signal. Went to check it with my pinpointer and found an other copper of a similar size. Well, that's unusual.., but by reflex checked again and an other copper coin was in the ground....What the hell.... Went over a few inches of the hole with my detector and more good signals were coming through iron noise. And the story repeated itself again and again for the 1,5 hours I spent there. At the end of the day, was leaving with the pocket heavy with large coppers, 36 in all on that first hunt.

View attachment 1983168

Most were in a pretty good shape, with 70% survival rate. All coins are pre 1820 with one exception of an American half cent 1828 which was a few feet a part so possibly lost separately. The coins were mostly US Cents 1802-1803, Canadian halfpennies 1812-1818, some George III, one Machin's and one beat Wood's Hibernia. The better ones are in this pic.

View attachment 1983169

Couldn't leave it at that, so decided to go back for an other hunt hoping to get a few that I left behind... Wasn't expecting 28 more coppers, all within a foot or two from the first hole.

In all 64 early copper coins from the same small spot which makes me think an early cache as the total coins weight is close to a pound of copper and it couldn't possibly be part of a dropped coin purse.

View attachment 1983170

Did find a few early buttons (not nearly as many as coins) in the surrounding area but not at the coins spot. Was pretty happy to find colonial period spectacles with one lens still intact, never found those before.

View attachment 1983171

View attachment 1983174

All I can say, I wasn't expecting that... Made for a great hunt, that's for sure.

Thanks for the comments.

P.S. Went back to get the temple pieces of those glasses and found 6 more coins. So that makes for a total of 70 large coppers. One of the coins appears to be a counterfeit George III ''Bull Head'' shilling (1816-1820) made of pewter of some kind. Here's the pic of the coins that aren't in a group picture and the complete spectacles.

View attachment 1983308

View attachment 1983309
View attachment 1983311

P.P.S. Went there again for an other 2 hours (weather doesn't permit any more detecting time) and found 10 more coins. Two Spread Eagles 1813, Isaak Brock 1816, 1777 George III and 1837 Halfpenny which was a few feet away so probably wasn't part of the original cache. The rest of the coins were either too worn to ID or lesser condition George III halfpennies.
Changed the title of the post to reflect the updated number which is 80 at this point.

View attachment 1983507
Unbelievable! Awesome bunch of old coins!

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hats off to you thats a find of a lifetime. You Know why you found all those coins that man lost his glasses

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

View attachment 1983168

View attachment 1983169

View attachment 1983170

View attachment 1983171

View attachment 1983174

Thanks for the comments.

View attachment 1983308

View attachment 1983309
View attachment 1983311

View attachment 1983507
Incredible find Aureus! Congrats on the well deserved Banner!

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Hey everyone,

View attachment 1983168

View attachment 1983169

View attachment 1983170

View attachment 1983171

View attachment 1983174

Thanks for the comments.

View attachment 1983308

View attachment 1983309
View attachment 1983311

View attachment 1983507
Grear job! Congrats on the banner. Those caches are really a pleasure, trying to find everything that could possibly be around... and then another, and some more over there, feels great.
Go back there, I think you may find even more. Waiting for the next title update, hahaha.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I see a lot of the Half ( Cent ) read Token Curious if there was a Trading Post Close By. More Research needed, for Wellington Token Thanks For Sharing / goldnugget / North Carolina

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Grear job! Congrats on the banner. Those caches are really a pleasure, trying to find everything that could possibly be around... and then another, and some more over there, feels great.
Go back there, I think you may find even more. Waiting for the next title update, hahaha.
Thanks yaxthri. I did go back to check the site again and by playing with Deus settings found 3 more coppers. So the grand total is 92 coins from that site.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like those coppers. It would be good to know why so many were there together. As some have suggested, might be a connection to a commercial establishment. Or perhaps the contents of a cookie jar, like people used to put cents in. I've never heard of so many together before.

OhioMetalMaven

Nov 6, 2021
Western Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace Apex & Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone,

View attachment 1983168

View attachment 1983169

View attachment 1983170

View attachment 1983171

View attachment 1983174

Thanks for the comments.

View attachment 1983308

View attachment 1983309
View attachment 1983311

View attachment 1983507
Amazing! Congrats.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see a lot of the Half ( Cent ) read Token Curious if there was a Trading Post Close By. More Research needed, for Wellington Token Thanks For Sharing / goldnugget / North Carolina
I'm not sure, could be the case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread