800 vs Nokta Legend

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right now I have about 400-hours on the Equinox 800, and 20-hours on the Legend. I like the Legend more than the 800 everywhere - Except - the saltwater beach at this point. I like the ergonomics, the build (especially the coil ears!), depth and sensitivity to very small targets. Basically the Legend is much more customizable and I am not worried about it flooding like my first Equinox.

My first trip to saltwater didn't go well with the Legend, however after watching Merrill's video (Metal Detecting NYC), I feel I was using the wrong settings and needed to update the machine. In the long run I believe I will be using the Legend at the beach more and more as I learn it.

They are BOTH excellent machines. Get back to me in another 100-hours on the headphones with the Legend! :skullflag:

OP
OP
sphillips

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx Terry, I have the 800 and like it very much here on the treasure Coast. Haven't done much beach hunting lately because there is just too much sand, waiting for the big storm to cut the beach down. Lately I have been coin and relic detecting, but would like to have a second machine for a back up.

Thx again, Steve

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand this is an old post, but am curious as to your thoughts on both detectors now, after probably another 100 hours or so..Thanks, Tom

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I understand this is an old post, but am curious as to your thoughts on both detectors now, after probably another 100 hours or so..Thanks, Tom
The Legend has been updated about four times since March of last year. Since then it has at least 16 completely new features plus added performance in what already existed. It has passed the 800 in performance and it's about equal to the 900. I have a 900 and I can't really find a difference between them in performance. Since there are 15" coils available for the 900, it's easier to go deeper with it than with the Legend.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I have about 400-hours on the Equinox 800, and 20-hours on the Legend. I like the Legend more than the 800 everywhere - Except - the saltwater beach at this point. I like the ergonomics, the build (especially the coil ears!), depth and sensitivity to very small targets. Basically the Legend is much more customizable and I am not worried about it flooding like my first Equinox.

My first trip to saltwater didn't go well with the Legend, however after watching Merrill's video (Metal Detecting NYC), I feel I was using the wrong settings and needed to update the machine. In the long run I believe I will be using the Legend at the beach more and more as I learn it.

They are BOTH excellent machines. Get back to me in another 100-hours on the headphones with the Legend! :skullflag:
How about a UPDATE ?

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in the latest update on Legend vs 900. I am thinking of buying another detector. I was burned pretty bad on the Gold Racer a number of years ago. I thought it was really bad. Thus far have stayed away from anyting not from the big 3.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about a UPDATE ?
The Nokta Makro Legend has become my go to machine on the beach - and on land. I hunt with guys and gals that have the Equinox 900 and the XP Deus, and I get as deep as they do and find just as much - it drives them NUTS!:laughing7:

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nokta Makro Legend has become my go to machine on the beach - and on land. I hunt with guys and gals that have the Equinox 900 and the XP Deus, and I get as deep as they do and find just as much - it drives them NUTS!:laughing7:
Thanks Terry appreciate your input. I made a decision today and ordered the 900. I was just so burnt on the gold racer that it still dwells in me I must of had it im and out of the basket 3 times. Actaully, spent a bit more than just one machine and picked up a sdc 2300 also. It was time to upgrade the fleet. My Mxt and TDI need some time off.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've put about 30 hours on my 900 since I got it in February and there are two things that stick out. The 900 isn't as good as the Legend in iron and the All Tones isn't as expressive as 60 tones is on the Legend. Good iffy targets are easier to identify in 60 tones. All tones strikes me as flatter and not as expressive.

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've put about 30 hours on my 900 since I got it in February and there are two things that stick out. The 900 isn't as good as the Legend in iron and the All Tones isn't as expressive as 60 tones is on the Legend. Good iffy targets are easier to identify in 60 tones. All tones strikes me as flatter and not as expressive.
I would never use all tones anyway. Just had the 900 out at a old post office site and it was as expected I dug everything for confirmation on junk signals, and solids that were .22 shells, 22 lead and shotgun case were as expected. So I have to say I am at first glance satisfied. And much happier with it that the 800s VDI scale that is fixed on the 900. That is another reason I did not like the legend was the crimped down vdi scale does not work for me. I have always had the large (standard) scale coming from Whites and I do not want to deal with figuring out that a zinc penny that was always 32 is now something different (example). I will mainly use it on shallow gold and the sdc on tougher areas. All the rest with the 900 is just extra. One other thing I will say I do not collect metal detectors. I buy something its here for years as these will be. They are tools only and you have to learn how to use that socket set correctly. Just cause a new set comes out doesn't mean you can do the job better. But I had these whites for along time and it was time for an upgrade. Appreciate your input.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One other thing I will say I do not collect metal detectors. I buy something its here for years as these will be. They are tools only and you have to learn how to use that socket set correctly. Just cause a new set comes out doesn't mean you can do the job better. But I had these whites for along time and it was time for an upgrade.
Metal detector tech used to be slow to move forward and you could have the same detector for 10 or 15 years and not miss anything. But now, new tech and software is released every year so if you can afford it why not update more often? Though, I am a tool junkie. Every time Wranglestar shows a cool tool in one of his videos I have to get it even if it's only remotely useful to me.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all three, the EQ 800, 900, and the Legend. The 800, replaced the shaft, broken arm cuff, broken coil ear, and had the control pod completely fail. Then I bought the Legend, and kind of liked it. THEN I bought the 900. I have found that, much like Terry, the Legend has become my "Go to" machine. SEEMS like a lot of chatter on the 900, but overall, a very good machine, and it is a little lighter then the Legend, but for some reason, I just got to like the Legend better, and I will admit I do like having the slide in battery pack, it has come in handy. I sometimes use the 900 because I bought the thing, and again, it IS a really good detector, but I believe you do get more bang for the buck with the Legend. Compare features and prices. MANY good detectors out there, most of which I have never used, I am only commenting based on my own experience in regards to this thread. Take care fella's. Dave

Jan 3, 2024
This is very good, according to people's conclusions, the Legend is better than the equinox 800, especially with a much cheaper price than the 800 and beating the top of the line devices, the Equinox 900 and the XP Deus.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have all three, the EQ 800, 900, and the Legend. The 800, replaced the shaft, broken arm cuff, broken coil ear, and had the control pod completely fail. Then I bought the Legend, and kind of liked it. THEN I bought the 900. I have found that, much like Terry, the Legend has become my "Go to" machine. SEEMS like a lot of chatter on the 900, but overall, a very good machine, and it is a little lighter then the Legend, but for some reason, I just got to like the Legend better, and I will admit I do like having the slide in battery pack, it has come in handy. I sometimes use the 900 because I bought the thing, and again, it IS a really good detector, but I believe you do get more bang for the buck with the Legend. Compare features and prices. MANY good detectors out there, most of which I have never used, I am only commenting based on my own experience in regards to this thread. Take care fella's. Dave
Good Post! I find the Minelab Equinox 900 a good bit deeper of a machine though. Also don't forge the 900 has 2 coils with it. a 11" and a 6" DD coil.
The Minelab Equinox 700 is closer to the Legend in performance/per value. https://bigboyshobbies.net/minelab-equinox-700

Last edited:

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in the latest update on Legend vs 900. I am thinking of buying another detector. I was burned pretty bad on the Gold Racer a number of years ago. I thought it was really bad. Thus far have stayed away from anyting not from the big 3.
I’m curious. Are you nugget hunting with the gold racer? I used to have one and it was a great gold nugget detector for me, I found lots of small nuggets with it and I used the crap out of it for a while until the headphone jack quit working when it got wet on accident. It was killer on tiny gold in bedrock cracks. I went to the nokta gold Kruzer after that for a waterproof version. I’m not a brand loyal type of person. I love my Minelab gpx 4500, and my nokta gold Kruzer. Both have paid for themselves in gold many times over.

SHAWANI

Greenie
Feb 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They are BOTH excellent machines. Get back to me in another 100-hours on the headphones with the Legend!
Thank you for this clarification, and to support you, I subscribed to your YouTube channel, which is full of valuable and educational videos

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m curious. Are you nugget hunting with the gold racer? I used to have one and it was a great gold nugget detector for me, I found lots of small nuggets with it and I used the crap out of it for a while until the headphone jack quit working when it got wet on accident. It was killer on tiny gold in bedrock cracks. I went to the nokta gold Kruzer after that for a waterproof version. I’m not a brand loyal type of person. I love my Minelab gpx 4500, and my nokta gold Kruzer. Both have paid for themselves in gold many times over.
Yup on nuggets I would not use it for anything else. It was a total pos in my opinion and I was the first and last of kinda off brand detectors I will ever purchase. I have a sdc2300 - EQ900 - Gold Monster any would spit on that thing grave lol.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the 900...can't get on with Nokta machines.

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread