RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today I drove down to the "valley" as it's known around here, in Dauphin county Pennsylvania. I got permission to metal detect on a property that my 8th great grandfather built a house on in 1757. He was a militia man for a month during the revolutionary war. No idea why he only served a month, but that's how long he was in for. Anyways, it's always a treat to detect an ancestors property, especially one so old, so here's what I found today. I was also testing for the first time, my new Equinox 600.

DSC_0325.jpg

The actual house site is still standing, although quite crumbled. It is also impossible to detect near it since it is so overgrown. I know there's some goodies in all of that brush. I took this photo August, last year. It's the same way today. Most of my finds were found in the cornfield behind the house site, and in the lawn belonging to the current property owner. Today, I detected in the cornfield.

DSC_0951.jpg

11 roundballs, and a... bell. The roundballs were scattered hither and yon, and were fun to find.

DSC_0952.jpg
DSC_0953.jpg

DSC_0954.jpg

I have no idea how old it is. I showed it to the property owner, who has been living on the land for over 50 years, and she had no clue where it came from. But it doesn't strike me as being terribly old. It isn't made of brass, at least not what I can see. It is a very dark, silvery color. No idea what it's made of. This was found on the edge of the cornfield, near a tree line. No animals were ever kept near that area, or on the farm since the landowner has been living there.

DSC_0956.JPG

And I also found this bullet. Not sure how old it is. Maybe late 1800s, early 1900s? The patina was nice, slick and white, so I kept it. l should probably measure it.

All in all, not a bad day.

Upvote 28
OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last year when I detected in the property owners lawn, I found 8 roundballs, bringing total roundball finds up to 19 on this property. Is that normal? seems like a lot of lead to me.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The bell could be made out of the same metal as a tombac button.
The shape is consistent with jiggle bell. It attached to a bar/railing/strap instead of a crotal bell that hung.
Nice amount of lead also Rusty.
The last one is cool looking.
Your family tree is being uncovered.
Hope work is doing well.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The bell could be made out of the same metal as a tombac button.
The shape is consistent with jiggle bell. It attached to a bar/railing/strap instead of a crotal bell that hung.
Nice amount of lead also Rusty.
The last one is cool looking.
Your family tree is being uncovered.
Hope work is doing well.

I'm doing my best not to murder one of my coworkers, but other than that, it's going well, lol!

The Equinox did pretty well. Every roundball, except for the bigger ones, rang at a 14-15. Bigger ones rang at a 16. Each tone was solid, never changing. Didn't find any iron, and was able to skip over the aluminum. I want to go back again soon, and ask permission for neighboring farms. Gas prices will make it an expensive trip though.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I drove down to the "valley" as it's known around here, in Dauphin county Pennsylvania. I got permission to metal detect on a property that my 8th great grandfather built a house on in 1757. He was a militia man for a month during the revolutionary war. No idea why he only served a month, but that's how long he was in for. Anyways, it's always a treat to detect an ancestors property, especially one so old, so here's what I found today. I was also testing for the first time, my new Equinox 600.

View attachment 2031769

The actual house site is still standing, although quite crumbled. It is also impossible to detect near it since it is so overgrown. I know there's some goodies in all of that brush. I took this photo August, last year. It's the same way today. Most of my finds were found in the cornfield behind the house site, and in the lawn belonging to the current property owner. Today, I detected in the cornfield.

View attachment 2031768

11 roundballs, and a... bell. The roundballs were scattered hither and yon, and were fun to find.

View attachment 2031770 View attachment 2031771

View attachment 2031772

I have no idea how old it is. I showed it to the property owner, who has been living on the land for over 50 years, and she had no clue where it came from. But it doesn't strike me as being terribly old. It isn't made of brass, at least not what I can see. It is a very dark, silvery color. No idea what it's made of. This was found on the edge of the cornfield, near a tree line. No animals were ever kept near that area, or on the farm since the landowner has been living there.

View attachment 2031773

And I also found this bullet. Not sure how old it is. Maybe late 1800s, early 1900s? The patina was nice, slick and white, so I kept it. l should probably measure it.

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last thing is a porcelain insulator.
A nail go's in the small hole and is nailed to a fence post for electric fence wires.
It could also be an insulator for telegraph wires.
Good finds

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The last thing is a porcelain insulator.
A nail go's in the small hole and is nailed to a fence post for electric fence wires.
It could also be an insulator for telegraph wires.
Good finds
The "insulator" is about 1/2 of an inch long, and made of lead. I'll post a picture with something else for size comparison, lol!

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

This is my attempt at linking a Tik Tok post, showing me finding a roundball. I don't know if it's going to work for y'all. I know, I'm going to hell for being on the app.

This was one of the first signals I dug, on the border of the cornfield, next to the hayfield. I then detected the lower 1/8th of the cornfield, and the adjacent wood line.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that I'm thinking about it, the bell might be spun tombac. I see "lines" or marks showing that this was spun on a lathe or something. I'll take better pictures later today in daylight.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find spots like that here in Pa. I wait till after the snow thaw and right before turkey season when everything is still dead I can go explore a little more. Nice finds and good luck

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2031769

View attachment 2031768

View attachment 2031770 View attachment 2031771

View attachment 2031772

View attachment 2031773

very cool finds and story, thanks

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Maxi-ball. 20th century.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Maxi-ball. 20th century.

I thought so, but I was hoping for older Thanks!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice finds, but I think the real story is just being able to detect a property that your 8th Great Grandfather built a house on. That is just crazy !

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks pretty thick and grown up around those ruins. I would try again in the winter after the snow melts. The bell is a late 19th/early 20th century sleigh bell.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How did you figure out where your 8th grandfather lived?

Our family has a book compiled of information about our ancestors, and the house is shown in a photograph from the 1970s. It was a bit more complete back then. We also have the property tax records showing Johann paid taxes on the land in the 1780s. The house, and a few other houses built by my ancestors, are well known in the valley area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread