9 neckerchief slides in 1 hunt, a toasted flat button and nice variety from the scout camp

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things at the scout camp are getting cleaned out pretty good since I have been hitting it hard. I go once a week as long as the weather is not too bad in the winter and twice a week in the spring. I went this time with low expectations, planning to hit several program areas which don’t usually have as much to find. You have to try them because you never know what will show up. After I parked and was walking to the spot I wanted to start I went by an area I had hit part of in the past and decided to give it a try. (Change of plans). My first target was a neckerchief slide. My next target was another one. Very unusual. So I kept at it and completed the entire area with 6 neckerchief slides. I went to 2 more areas and detected as I went.

I spent 5 hours with the CZ21 and found 150 coins with a face value of $9.91, 35 camp tent pegs, a stainless dining hall knife, 5 rope tensioners, 3 Webelos slides, a Boy Scout slide, a Tiger Cub slide, 4 older Cub Scout slides, 4 tokens given as rewards at camp, 4 cob coin replicas, a new style First responder Webelos pin, a bear pin, an older style citizen Webelos pin, a really toasted flat button, a dolphin ring, a 1946 wheatie, four pin backs, 11 bullets of different types, only 6 tabs and a small batch of trash. Even though some of the bullets are round balls, all 11 were found on a dozer pushed up hill side so I think these are from target practicing.

57F409D2-8ACD-4B22-BFDE-898121268E9D.jpeg

6A31C49A-B54E-4883-B221-F1294637C405.jpeg

96B6DE4A-E795-4BD6-A5A4-EDC95C199D8C.jpeg EB62C4C9-3E98-43BC-AC54-7CC871A7ED4D.jpeg

9 neckerchief slides is quite a haul. Normally I only find 1 or 2 at a time and I don’t find them every time I detect here. I think the best I have done in the past is 4.

The ring was found as I went from site to site. I was looking ahead and got a high tone signal at end of my swing. I looked over to see where to dig and there was the ring on top of a leaf right on top of the ground. Groups rent campsites and buildings during the winter so someone probably lost this one last weekend. It has a little tarnish on it, but it’s not marked. My guess is it’s probably plated. It’s a nice ring as is and I can probably get a few bucks for it in my yard sale so good find.

64851E11-C79D-4459-87D9-3AE98D471A16.jpeg

I am pretty sure this is a flat button. The acid soil can be really hard on copper and clad coins in some spots here at camp. Some of them come out of the ground paper thin and smaller in diameter. You can see the solder used to attach the shank in the center. This was found close to the area I have found a large cent and other flat buttons. It is also fairly close to an area the camp ranger says has the original house foundation. (No cellar hole, just stone piles in a square area). This area is on my schedule to be covered later in the winter or in the spring.

1F44C10C-2659-4ABA-941A-2CB24B6A703C.jpeg

I also went to ball field in a small town about 8 miles away. I spent 5 more hours with the CZ21 and found 81 coins with a face value of $9.17, a brass whatzit, a copper bullet jacket minus the lead, a small lock key, an old glass fuse, a bunch of tabs and miscellaneous junk. A decent coin day, but nothing special. I only posted the fuse because some of the younger folks on here may have never seen one. This is the type used in my house growing up in the 50s. Sometimes you find a porcelain one and they are much older.

5DC138AB-3557-4D49-90EF-128A2BA3F6B7.jpeg

The brass whatzit is interesting. It looks like it has a cap that might come off. The broken base shows that it is a container inside a container. I can’t see any markings on it. Any ideas folks?

381BA5A9-267C-49FB-A545-39FECCE1124E.jpeg 106EBF2E-57C1-4C72-B95A-A09289DEB988.jpeg 6C325175-6366-43B6-9AFA-71F33F322BF2.jpeg

So lots of clad, scout camp goodies and safe fresh air exercise in the unusually warm December weather. It’s funny how it goes, freezing my fingers off in the snow one week and sweating in my coveralls the next.

Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 14

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things at the scout camp are getting cleaned out pretty good since I have been hitting it hard. I go once a week as long as the weather is not too bad in the winter and twice a week in the spring. I went this time with low expectations, planning to hit several program areas which don’t usually have as much to find. You have to try them because you never know what will show up. After I parked and was walking to the spot I wanted to start I went by an area I had hit part of in the past and decided to give it a try. (Change of plans). My first target was a neckerchief slide. My next target was another one. Very unusual. So I kept at it and completed the entire area with 6 neckerchief slides. I went to 2 more areas and detected as I went.

I spent 5 hours with the CZ21 and found 150 coins with a face value of $9.91, 35 camp tent pegs, a stainless dining hall knife, 5 rope tensioners, 3 Webelos slides, a Boy Scout slide, a Tiger Cub slide, 4 older Cub Scout slides, 4 tokens given as rewards at camp, 4 cob coin replicas, a new style First responder Webelos pin, a bear pin, an older style citizen Webelos pin, a really toasted flat button, a dolphin ring, a 1946 wheatie, four pin backs, 11 bullets of different types, only 6 tabs and a small batch of trash. Even though some of the bullets are round balls, all 11 were found on a dozer pushed up hill side so I think these are from target practicing.

View attachment 1997188

View attachment 1997192

View attachment 1997189 View attachment 1997190

9 neckerchief slides is quite a haul. Normally I only find 1 or 2 at a time and I don’t find them every time I detect here. I think the best I have done in the past is 4.

The ring was found as I went from site to site. I was looking ahead and got a high tone signal at end of my swing. I looked over to see where to dig and there was the ring on top of a leaf right on top of the ground. Groups rent campsites and buildings during the winter so someone probably lost this one last weekend. It has a little tarnish on it, but it’s not marked. My guess is it’s probably plated. It’s a nice ring as is and I can probably get a few bucks for it in my yard sale so good find.

View attachment 1997187

I am pretty sure this is a flat button. The acid soil can be really hard on copper and clad coins in some spots here at camp. Some of them come out of the ground paper thin and smaller in diameter. You can see the solder used to attach the shank in the center. This was found close to the area I have found a large cent and other flat buttons. It is also fairly close to an area the camp ranger says has the original house foundation. (No cellar hole, just stone piles in a square area). This area is on my schedule to be covered later in the winter or in the spring.

View attachment 1997191

I also went to ball field in a small town about 8 miles away. I spent 5 more hours with the CZ21 and found 81 coins with a face value of $9.17, a brass whatzit, a copper bullet jacket minus the lead, a small lock key, an old glass fuse, a bunch of tabs and miscellaneous junk. A decent coin day, but nothing special. I only posted the fuse because some of the younger folks on here may have never seen one. This is the type used in my house growing up in the 50s. Sometimes you find a porcelain one and they are much older.

View attachment 1997193

The brass whatzit is interesting. It looks like it has a cap that might come off. The broken base shows that it is a container inside a container. I can’t see any markings on it. Any ideas folks?

View attachment 1997194 View attachment 1997195 View attachment 1997196

So lots of clad, scout camp goodies and safe fresh air exercise in the unusually warm December weather. It’s funny how it goes, freezing my fingers off in the snow one week and sweating in my coveralls the next.

Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your whatzit is either the end of a tent pole, or the end of a tripod leg

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your whatzit is either the end of a tent pole, or the end of a tripod leg
Thanks for your input. It is a container in a container and definitely not the end of a tent pole or tripod leg. I’m just not sure what type of container.
Stay safe and keep swingin.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input. It is a container in a container and definitely not the end of a tent pole or tripod leg. I’m just not sure what type of container.
Stay safe and keep swingin.
Hmm. Might be better off keeping it closed up then. The last couple of years haven't been so great for opening up unknown things.....

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1997188

View attachment 1997192

View attachment 1997189 View attachment 1997190

View attachment 1997187

View attachment 1997191

View attachment 1997193

View attachment 1997194 View attachment 1997195 View attachment 1997196

lots of great hunting and cool finds, love all the scout treasures

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread