cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I tested one of these for Kellyco when they first came out for the CTX 3030. I found it to be extraordinarily heavy and it did not perform any better than the stock coil under any of the numerous test scenarios that I ran it through. Given the results of my testing, I passed on using one on my CTX.
As I recall, the overall sales of that coil were disappointing also….not surprisingly so.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not used this coil, and don't plan to -- for the reasons Dan noted. It is a HEAVY coil. The specs show it at 880g -- which is just an ounce shy of two pounds!

For comparison, the EQX stock 11" coil is 510g, and the 12" x 15" coil from Minelab is 660g -- and most folks feel that the weight of the EQX 12" x 15" really exacerbates the nose-heaviness issues of the Equinox. So, the much-heavier Coiltek 14x9 is -- in my mind, likely to be unbearable for many. To put it another way, if you attached the Equinox stock 11" coil to your shaft, sat the Minelab 6" coil on top of it, and then added a roll of pennies on top, for good measure, THAT would be the equivalent of using the Coiltek 14x9...

It makes NO sense to me for a land hunter to even attempt to use that coil, without SIGNIFICANT improvements in performance, and I just can't imagine what improvements those would be. Depth shouldn't be greater than stock, with the coil only 9" wide, and coverage is not quite as good as with the 12" x 15" -- which weighs 220 grams less!

Steve

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sort of why I asked. I was trying to figure out what type of hunting it was good for. Seems like an odd size to me.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
That's sort of why I asked. I was trying to figure out what type of hunting it was good for. Seems like an odd size to me.
It is an odd size. Coiltek make some good stuff but have a history too of duds. Mostly with eliptical coils. Yrs ago for gold detectors they made a huge eliptical that was nicknamed the Zulu Shield. I recall how big exactly it was but it was like the size of an actual Zulu Shield. People were in awe of it and plenty got them hoping to find the next Welcome Stranger nugget.
We did some testing on one and it was pitiful to say the least. It went a foot "shallower" than a standard 18" round coil. There is in many circles here an obsession with eliptical coils which I think is born out of more the athsetic appeal than actual performance. I hate them personally. Rounds kill them.
People using them here for gold miss heaps of targets at depth using them. They sweep forward by a coil length as they move. But its only the middle 2/4 of the coil that has the most depth, the front and rear quarters are shallower. So with the front and rear they miss the deep iffy targets.
True a front and rear fraction of a round is similar but nowhere near the loss an eliptical gives. My Terra 705 looks goofy with the little 6" round but it goes deeper than the 10" eliptical. I hate open webs too, thats a different story though.
Good luck hunting.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, I hear you. I'll be curious to hear if anyone chimes in with any performance gains over any of the existing Minelab coils, that might make the weight more "bearable." As you said, it's a very odd size for an accessory coil, when there already exists an 11", and a 12" x 15" -- and then you make it substantially heavier than ALL of them? I could maybe even see it as a "tweener," between the 11" and 12" x 15", IF it were lighter weight than the 12" x 15" -- sort of an "almost the same coverage, but at a lighter weight" type of sales pitch. But HEAVIER?

I just can't see the logic, UNLESS it's a coil designed specifically for hunting IN THE WATER, and the weight keeps it from being "buoyant?" That's just speculation, as I'm not a water hunter; if the 11" and 12" x 15" are both buoyant coils that tend to float, then maybe the 14x9 doesn't "float," and thus works well in the water??

Steve

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Yep, I hear you. I'll be curious to hear if anyone chimes in with any performance gains over any of the existing Minelab coils, that might make the weight more "bearable." As you said, it's a very odd size for an accessory coil, when there already exists an 11", and a 12" x 15" -- and then you make it substantially heavier than ALL of them? I could maybe even see it as a "tweener," between the 11" and 12" x 15", IF it were lighter weight than the 12" x 15" -- sort of an "almost the same coverage, but at a lighter weight" type of sales pitch. But HEAVIER?

I just can't see the logic, UNLESS it's a coil designed specifically for hunting IN THE WATER, and the weight keeps it from being "buoyant?" That's just speculation, as I'm not a water hunter; if the 11" and 12" x 15" are both buoyant coils that tend to float, then maybe the 14x9 doesn't "float," and thus works well in the water??

Steve
Yeah. Iv never been a water hunter. Iv done some beach stuff in between gold, so I get the not being buoyancy side. But other than say, ground coverage which is why some like them here, as check and search then put a round on, I am not a fan. Given that, I am wanting a Garrett 24k and will pull the trigger on one soon im sure, and they come with an eliptical 10", ill put up with it, but if I had the choice id take a round any and every day over them.
Im dirty that you cant get the 6" Whites round concentric coil for the Garrett now, which Whites made. And am dumbfounded that we cant get a Skid plate for the 24k eliptical here! What is that all about!? We can buy the Garrett 24k but without a skid plate and none made for it? That's like buying a car that should have hubcaps but they dont make them! That's nuts!
If I have too ill get one and make something up. Shouldn't have to though.
Not much making sense to me these days overall to be honest. 😕
Good luck hunting mate 👍

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah. Iv never been a water hunter. Iv done some beach stuff in between gold, so I get the not being buoyancy side. But other than say, ground coverage which is why some like them here, as check and search then put a round on, I am not a fan. Given that, I am wanting a Garrett 24k and will pull the trigger on one soon im sure, and they come with an eliptical 10", ill put up with it, but if I had the choice id take a round any and every day over them.
Im dirty that you cant get the 6" Whites round concentric coil for the Garrett now, which Whites made. And am dumbfounded that we cant get a Skid plate for the 24k eliptical here! What is that all about!? We can buy the Garrett 24k but without a skid plate and none made for it? That's like buying a car that should have hubcaps but they dont make them! That's nuts!
If I have too ill get one and make something up. Shouldn't have to though.
Not much making sense to me these days overall to be honest. 😕
Good luck hunting mate 👍
Not that I'm endorsing the idea, nor have I tried it, but I have heard of some folks having some success with a coil that does not come with a skid plate, by spraying a thin layer of "bed liner-type" material onto the coil bottom, for added durability...

Steve

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Not that I'm endorsing the idea, nor have I tried it, but I have heard of some folks having some success with a coil that does not come with a skid plate, by spraying a thin layer of "bed liner-type" material onto the coil bottom, for added durability...

Steve
Thanks. Im happy to get any advice from anyone. What I was told and learnt was this. And im talking gold detecting with sensitive to the smalllest targets. We dont only chase the smallest but they give a good idea to what affects targets. Some tapes used to tape coils covers to coils used to affect the field. Im pretty convinced the old ones from say 20 to 30 yrs ago may, but more recent no.
I would now put a tape, or sealer, I say sealer to stop dirt or other things entering between the coil and skid plate, I use a neutral cure silicone.
Detecting for gold in highly mineralised ground, just small amounts of dust that are highly iron mineralised here can hugely affect things changing ground ballance and target response. Just it shifting across the coil cover bottom as you swing can create false signals. True.
Thats why I fully seal my coils covers.
And why, I with any tape I use to do so, I bunch up a lump, put it on the end of a plastic ruler and wave it over the coil, detector wound right up to max sensitivity and see if there is a response. Years ago we got some, but in the past 20yrs I have not seen it happen. But I still check, it only takes a minute to do. Gold wise you want nothing, zero to affect anything. But like I said, yrs ago there were a few that did, not seen any do that since. Still I check.
Never seen a sealer do it though. Still, there are sands and soil and silt that can get in and screw things up and is why I always seal my covers to the coil.
Imagine you detect in an area with a negative type soil that gets in between your skid plate. Just a bit. Then go to another place the opposite and do a balance and so on. We all know a badly balanced detector is behind the eight ball. 😉

Last edited:
OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve
I have the factory 6", 11", and 12 X 15". I also have the Coiltek 15" round. I've used all of them in the ocean and none are buoyant to any extent. Sounds like the 9 X 14 is the worst of all worlds.....not as deep as the 11" round, let alone the 12 X 15, less coverage, and heavier. I wonder what they thought the purpose of this coil would be?

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
I have the factory 6", 11", and 12 X 15". I also have the Coiltek 15" round. I've used all of them in the ocean and none are buoyant to any extent. Sounds like the 9 X 14 is the worst of all worlds.....not as deep as the 11" round, let alone the 12 X 15, less coverage, and heavier. I wonder what they thought the purpose of this coil would be?
I often think its for keeping sales moving along rather than some performance advantage. There's always someone wanting something new and willing to buy them. Iv seen detectors advertised on places like Gumtree here with 20 coils! Over half of them being useless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread