9V Tools (Battery Recommendation)

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
Currently I have 3 metal detectors, and a pinpointer that take 9v batteries (2 Tesoros/1 pp @ 1 9v each & a Bounty Hunter 2 9v). So I have experience with 9v batteries both alkaline, and rechargeable. I have used NiMH all these years (sort of missed out on the NIcad 😄 days).

I gave LI-Ion a try, and went with the EBL brand (along with a two bay charger). The capacity is 600 mAH which in the past 9v batteries I used had no more than 175 mAH (this means more run time).

When first charged the EBL read above 9, but settles down to around 8.5-8.4 volts (this is normal). This does not make a difference in machine performance which is still in operating range of the voltage regulating circuitry, and the batteries keep up the voltage. I have not run them out after many hours of use though I do charge them at the end of the day. Some people don't do that (charge them only after a couple times of use), but at 600 mAH it should be no problem (I just like to keep things topped off).

The charger takes a couple of hours (keep in mind I probably do not use them more than half capacity) to charge, and does not get hot, or barely gets warm. It comes with a USB to Mini-C cable, and uses a 1A phone charger. As with all batteries do not charge in the freezing cold because it will put more charge in, and when it warms up inside it's in a cell weakening overcharged state.

I'm going to gift a friend some since he has game cameras that take 9v. If anyone you know that run guitar effect foot pedals you may want to point this battery out to them.

I suggest checking out the "EBL Official" (just Google it) site because it has free shipping on orders over $25, great prices, discount codes, and a full line of EBL products.

I wish this tech was around for all those years I swung my XLT because LI-ion batteries are lighter than NiMH which I used then. :crybaby2: 20220524_035954.jpg 20220524_040119.jpg
20220524_042012.jpg

OP
OP
Zincoln Miner

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread