fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try shining a light from the different angles, even from the side, to see if you can read more. Or take a picture in daylight but not direct sunlight. The lettering in the outer ring looks like "Stand:Col: ????". That probably means standard color or colour if it is British.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you post this button on a Facebook group? If so post that back picture here. It is much more legible. Looks like S & J ? ? Treble Gilt Stand Col to me.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find welcome to Tnet

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button, but I’m sure it’s not military or militia related. The crown is wrong… it’s not a royal crown and more like a coronet. Here’s a similar one. Note that the crown is different (also not a royal crown) but the ‘BH’ monogram is essentially the same.

BH Button.jpg

The seller described it as a “vintage hunt button” and said it had a Firmin of London backmark. I agree yours says “TREBLE GILT STAND[ARD] COL[OUR] on the outer circlet but can’t read the maker on the inner circlet. Firmin (also & Sons and with/without LD or LTD) used multiple permutations of their name (Firmin, Firmins, Firmin’s) but they wouldn’t be the only possibility.

I don’t know if the “hunt” attribution is correct or if the seller is guessing because of the second letter being ‘H’. It could be livery (including company livery) related. Lots of hunts have used those initials and with multiple style variations but I couldn’t find an exact match for the combination of coronet and monogram. Some examples below (but not an exhaustive list):

Badsworth: BH in Gothic with running fox over.
Beaufort, Duke of: BH in Gothic.
Belvoir: BH in Gothic with coronet over.
Berkeley: BH in script.
Berwickshire: BH monogram.
Bicester: BH in script.
Blankney: BH in block with fox mask over.
Blencathra: Running fox with BH over.
Brecon: B.H in block.
Burstow: BH in gothic, stippled ground.
Burton: BH in gothic, stippled ground.

OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Did you post this button on a Facebook group? If so post that back picture here. It is much more legible. Looks like S & J ? ? Treble Gilt Stand Col to me.
Hi! Yes i did!
Nice button, but I’m sure it’s not military or militia related. The crown is wrong… it’s not a royal crown and more like a coronet. Here’s a similar one. Note that the crown is different (also not a royal crown) but the ‘BH’ monogram is essentially the same.

View attachment 2031820

The seller described it as a “vintage hunt button” and said it had a Firmin of London backmark. I agree yours says “TREBLE GILT STAND[ARD] COL[OUR] on the outer circlet but can’t read the maker on the inner circlet. Firmin (also & Sons and with/without LD or LTD) used multiple permutations of their name (Firmin, Firmins, Firmin’s) but they wouldn’t be the only possibility.

I don’t know if the “hunt” attribution is correct or if the seller is guessing because of the second letter being ‘H’. It could be livery (including company livery) related. Lots of hunts have used those initials and with multiple style variations but I couldn’t find an exact match for the combination of coronet and monogram. Some examples below (but not an exhaustive list):

Badsworth: BH in Gothic with running fox over.
Beaufort, Duke of: BH in Gothic.
Belvoir: BH in Gothic with coronet over.
Berkeley: BH in script.
Berwickshire: BH monogram.
Bicester: BH in script.
Blankney: BH in block with fox mask over.
Blencathra: Running fox with BH over.
Brecon: B.H in block.
Burstow: BH in gothic, stippled ground.
Burton: BH in gothic, stippled ground.
Fantastic! Thank you Belvoir Hunt would make sense! Thank you x

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the additional pics. Some of the letters are clear and some not. It looks to me like "?.S. & J. ?." Might that last letter be a 'D' ?

There was a British company using "M.S. & J.D." as a button backmark sometime during the 19th Century, but it's not known who this was or where they were based.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the additional pics. Some of the letters are clear and some not. It looks to me like "?.S. & J. ?." Might that last letter be a 'D' ?

There was a British company using "M.S. & J.D." as a button backmark sometime during the 19th Century, but it's not known who this was or where they were based.
There is a period before the S and it looks like the remnants of a letter, maybe M before that period.

OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds

Yes its def M S & J D !!! Amazing… thank you so much!!! I dont no whether its the finding or the finding out about i love so much!!! Really appreciate ur help! Thank you x

Ive got some more from tonights adventure so will rinse nd pop them up tomoz if i cant id from google 😆 x

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread