A BIG dredge ??

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Since my reluctance in stopping dredging because of my back ,I've been thinking of acquiring a really large dredge from Keene and assemble a crew to help run it for me. I'd like to run it up the Missouri River . Most of the gold I've found in this River has been small stuff BUT I haven't got out to where the heavies are and a bugger dredge would do that . I once had a opportunity to clean out Sand and Gravel barges after the company's that do have their permits to do channel depths for the C.O.E. ......I'd like to apply for a permit to dredge these unclaimed sections of this River to below the 9 -10 foot River channels they currently do for navigation clearances. BUT in my tiring to find willing partners in this , MOST ALL of the people would want to try it out for a day and then decide OR only when they want to do it. So far I have slowly losing interest in this. What good is a dream if you can't pursue it ? If I could swing this idea , what would a split in the gold or a flat pay be fair to all ? Probably a signed contract would be in order but what would it cover ? And what about liability insurance covering accidental injuries ? OR a signed wavier releasing me and the crew from liability. This would be a biggie but a very necessary expense for sure. And maybe this is a dream and I couldn't afford this anyway! What's everyone's thoughts or advise ?

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’m not sure about all the paperwork and acceptable gold split but it sounds like a good way to get back in the game. I never thought about the Missouri for gold? I figure there would be lots of mud and debris down there terrible visibility I would think. Also possible relics to be found down there. I’m always interested in an adventure I have my own diving gear and a little bit of experience dredging in streams.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since my reluctance in stopping dredging because of my back ,I've been thinking of acquiring a really large dredge from Keene and assemble a crew to help run it for me. I'd like to run it up the Missouri River . Most of the gold I've found in this River has been small stuff BUT I haven't got out to where the heavies are and a bugger dredge would do that . I once had a opportunity to clean out Sand and Gravel barges after the company's that do have their permits to do channel depths for the C.O.E. ......I'd like to apply for a permit to dredge these unclaimed sections of this River to below the 9 -10 foot River channels they currently do for navigation clearances. BUT in my tiring to find willing partners in this , MOST ALL of the people would want to try it out for a day and then decide OR only when they want to do it. So far I have slowly losing interest in this. What good is a dream if you can't pursue it ? If I could swing this idea , what would a split in the gold or a flat pay be fair to all ? Probably a signed contract would be in order but what would it cover ? And what about liability insurance covering accidental injuries ? OR a signed wavier releasing me and the crew from liability. This would be a biggie but a very necessary expense for sure. And maybe this is a dream and I couldn't afford this anyway! What's everyone's thoughts or advise ?
I don,t have any ideas about the venture itself,but as to that waiver I don,t think it would work if the folks helping you are considered employees.I don,t know about any state,s laws but Arkansas,s,but here a waiver like that won,t fly if injuries occur.That,s an injury lawyers dream scenario! Maybe look into a Workmens Compensation policy,along with medical coverage.I don,t believe liability covers injury.You need to sit down with an insurance agent for your state,lay out your scheme and let them work out a policy to cover you,along with seeking advise from your state,s labor board.Your agent should be able to access this for you,but not always. I ran my own roofing contracting Co. for 30 years,insurance can be tricky where labor laws are concerned. Don,t skimp on coverage,it can cost you! Good luck and I hope you can realize your dream!

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The Missouri and the Mississippi River's have gold in them ! I've gotten small gold in each of them but in small quantities . I think my best bet would be to acquire a Sand & Gravel permit for a section of one of these River's and go for it . Maybe with a remote underwater camara close to the nozzle and nozzle control.... Have a house boat to live in while pulling the dredge around I'd say a 6 -8 inch dredge at the minimum to get some results .. This would be a LARCE INVESTMENT and a BIG job for me (maybe way to much) but using this remotely I could go at it as I could without killing myself with work . I could operate & be the dredge tender at the same time.... The Missouri River is some what clearer than the " ole muddy" Mississippi River. In the Fall the River levels drop a lot ! This is the prime time I'd like to be out there with the dredge as well as in the Summer. There's got to be a way to reduce the liability to be able to do this & THANKS for the suggestions so far ! I know I could build a dredge as big as I needed & buy or rent a house boat for tax purposes . CRAZY as it sounds ,It's my dream and I'm haunted by it !:BangHead::dontknow::occasion14:

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
WARNING !! When you get older and finally decide your getting to the point you need to stop prospecting /mining / dredging , your mind keeps drawing you BACK into the FEVER !! It's real hard to NOT want to get out there ! BELEIVE ME BECAUSE I'M THERE & HAVE BEEN tiring for +10 years now to get it out of my system ! So far I don't think it can be done without some mental help !:BangHead:

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big dredge big engine lots of fuel hard to make a go of it. Small hobby sized sips fuel easy to move and enjoy life and find a little gold best of luck.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dreamt about dredging with my big dredge last night 🌙 🌉 🌃 🌌 😴 ⛺
For the last few years I've only dredged with a 2-1/2" or a 4".... but man, those memories of running my 6" homebuilt or 8" dredges still get me dreaming of life under water.
I really miss those days :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 027_24A (1).JPG
    027_24A (1).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 022_19A (2).JPG
    022_19A (2).JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The St. Louis County Parks had a 10 inch dredge to clear sediment from lake spill ways BUT they never used it a it sat unused for a long time and I heard they were going to put it up for auction as un used equipment. I went out to but it BUT they pulled it out of the auction and moved it to another park that had a big lake on it ..........:BangHead: so much for my attempt. I even bought a Skipper's hat for the event .

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The St. Louis County Parks had a 10 inch dredge to clear sediment from lake spill ways BUT they never used it a it sat unused for a long time and I heard they were going to put it up for auction as un used equipment. I went out to but it BUT they pulled it out of the auction and moved it to another park that had a big lake on it ..........:BangHead: so much for my attempt. I even bought a Skipper's hat for the event .
Bet you looked sharp too!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread