PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

Well, I have decided to take the plunge and write a book about the great LUE treasure.

I have binders of letters written by Karl Von Mueller (and various other pen names), several books with references to the treasure, and a lot of related research material. The information is already over 150 pages.

It dawned on me that all of this information can fill a book so why not go ahead and put it all together. It will also contain the likeliest spot for the treasure down to a couple of acres. The book will be published electronically (like for Amazon.)

Would anyone be interested in sharing information they have as well? (It might be duplicated already.) Anyone who wants to participate would also get a copy of the finished book at no charge. I am targeting the book to be completed by August.

Here is what information would be useful:

1. Any LUE related research/analysis (letters, magazine articles, etc.)
2. Anything from Karl Von Mueller (Deak Gladson, Dean Miller, etc.) regarding the LUE
3. Alternate LUE theories (I have seen some about the map and originating source)
4. Historical/geographical references.
5. Any other related information that might be useful to the T-hunter community.

I would like to include a tribute to Karl Von Mueller in the book as well. So, any related stories about him, documents, letters, etc (that show him in a positive way) would be useful as well.

Contact me by private message if you are interested in assisting.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Patrick

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
And such is the allure of "buried treasure". No one can doubt any of the "story", lest they be "left out". No wonder those treasure magazines of the 1970s (filled with "lost mine" and "stage-coach robbery" fantasies) sold so many copies. The human mind wants sseeeoooo hard to believe (lest you be "left out").

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tom,

Not sure I follow your post. If, in the event, it was alluding to the pursuit of a fantasy, Wow, isn't that possible with all of us. Mine is more a compilation of information. Whether we follow Ripley 'believing or not', or Barnum 'one being born every second', I can only conclude based on my own research and findings. I mean, real findings, not those fantastical wishful thinkings of a mind crazed with the pursuit of treasure the likes that Ahab felt toward his white whale.

I have found multiple items and locations in my near 50 years. As a youngster I was dragged about on treasure hunts and now go willingly for the adventure alone. My approach is somewhat rare as well since I am open and sharing about it and not being all secretive like some I have met through the years.

My next trip to Colorado is going back to a sealed mine covered with Spanish markings. I have been to the location twice previously in my research. So, thankfully, this one is not the deluded fantasy of a gold fevered mind. (That day may be forthcoming though.... LOL. )

Thanks for the response.

Patrick

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Patrick,

If you could talk to Charles Garrett you might get some unpublished info on the LUE. After KVM
moved to Segundo several pros, including Garrett, visited him there. I wondered at the time if
he picked that little spot on the PicketWire to be close to the site. He wasn't one for wild goose
hunts.

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lastleg,

I tried to get in touch with Charles when first finding a sealed entrance with spanish markings on the stones. Apparently, Charles has retired and his son is running the company. I cannot verify.

I was a boy and went to KVMs store there in Segundo. I lost count how many times I have driven that highway of legends. KVM wrote about a site that was in one of his publications that showed a gorge cut out of the mountainside. His research was around this area. What I found isn't even a mile away as the crow flies.

One of KVMs running buddies is still alive but not as mobile as he used to be. He, my father, and KVM went on multiple hunts. I have a lot of information from all three of these sources. Back then, I was younger than ten though. It is an odd feeling to have located what they searched for without fruition. Man, oh man, how I would truly treasure showing them what I found.

Personally, I believe there was an element of reality missing from their searches. I am not aware nor do I recall ever hearing about the actual logistics of doing all that work in those historic time periods. What helped me was interpreting the Spanish trail signs in the area, interpreting that conundrum of a map, and working out the logistics of where that many people camped/slept/went to the bathroom/cooked/ate... etc. There are only so many areas of terrain that could allow a couple hundred men to camp for a prolonged period of time.

Any idea how to get in touch with Charles G?

Thanks again.

Patrick

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
I will buy that book. Keep me posted.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The only other old timer of that golden era would be Dick Stout, a regular writer for W&E Treasure
Magazine. He posts on TNet occasionally. He lives in Dallas I think and may be able to contact
Charles. I will have to see if I can find one of his posts to forward to you.

This subject came up a few months ago and I gave out info on the three watersheds in the Culebra
Range from Trinchera Peak in the north to Culebra Peak in the south. I was amazed to discover
the distance was only around 15 miles as the crow flies.

Colorado ghosts are my favored sites along with one in northern NM.

Congrats on your findings so far.

lastleg

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lastleg,

Believe it or not, you are spot on.

KVM spent a lot of time looking on a mountain south of there. But, never found anything. The book, 'Treasure of the Valley of Secrets' was targeting this location. All of the landmark photos are there. I only found one site worth exploring on that peak but it requires excavation to get into.

I have covered a lot of area in northern NM and southern CO. Too bad KVM isn't around any more.

I would love to hear from Dick Stout. I actually live very near Dallas so it wouldnt be hard to visit.

Maybe he is around.

Thanks again. You are very much appreciated.

Patrick

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lastleg,

This is a follow up post to KVMs searching in the area. I am including a few pictures for the fun of it.

Here is a scan from the Valley of Secrets book that KVM published:
vosd.jpg

Here is a picture taken from the same spot:
trail17.jpg

Here is what the area looks like from above:
mountain.jpg

This is the area that KVM focused much of his searching.

I know the mind wants seeooo hard to believe that things can be found. But, they literally can be found. I just didn't find anything in this spot other than where the original research was focused. My findings are in the vicinity.

Here is a picture of a cool archeological discovery I found in the region:
compassstone2.jpg
(Oh, that is my arm.)

You will never guess what you can see looking through the eye in that face. It lines up with something on the far cliff face. Where is Indiana Jones when you need him... :)

For your reading enjoyment.

Patrick

Last edited:

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome,, this stuff is part of what attracted me to this site .
i am in awe of anyone that can commit to years of research and are able to decipher the old hints.
I know that not all Legendary treasures are real , but i love the chase and wish i had the patience to do what you guys do.
also i hope the people that do not believe and do not enjoy this stuff will read this and pass it up with out trying to bring you or others down..keep up the good chase .

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mical66,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I agree that there is adventure in the treasure hunting. It is one of the best ways to spend time. There will always be disbelievers and naysayers. It is perfectly alright. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have just found that the negative opinions generally are given from people who have not put any effort into the facts. It doesn't mean they are bad people. They have just acquired an opinion based on their own ideas, experiences and information.

As for the LUE? Check out this picture:

cave with top.jpg

What would you do with this?
cave5.jpg cave5b.jpg

letters1.jpg

Yep, I love me some treasure hunting.

Patrick

Last edited:

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with the first picture , i would surely have had to grab a flashlight and peek inside the hole , i am like a cat in that aspect , got to look.
as for the other pictures , to my untrained eye i would never have noticed the mark if not highlited,,lol
as for naysayers i understand they are not bad people and may be experts in other areas and just do not believe in this.
But they do not have to comment , goes back to what my mother taught us growing up. if you do not have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all....kind of like Thumper from Bambi ..lol

i hate to say this because this will make me sound bad, but i also have the patience of a cat. I would love to do a treasure hunt like this , but only on the tail end when all the clues point to 1 spot and its time to go look for it.
not that i am lazy because i am not , i have worked all my life 10 - 12 hours a day and live a active life style ,, i have to with 6 kids ot keep me busy ,, lol , but i tend to lose interest to fast,,maybe a little ADHD ?

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mical66,

That is totally understandable. I average 11 hour workdays myself. The treasure hunting is a way to decompress from the work stress.

But, we must have a purpose for it all to make sense. It reminds me of that old saying "pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies." The work supports a life, but the adventure makes the life worth living.

As for saying nice things? As long as a person isn't being a troll, I don't mind. Maybe I can share some information and they can use it to locate a treasure themselves. How cool would that be. (Of course, there are those that say "If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit by me.) LOL

Patrick

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Naysayers? haha.

Here's an example to you guys, of how the human psyche works, when it comes to any treasure story. Naturally, you won't believe me, and will discount even THIS, because, as I'm saying, the faithful will never dis-believe, lest they be "left out". But I'll try anyhow.

Ok this is a true story, and it illustrates how the psychology works:

A buddy of mine was working an old-town sidewalk tearout, each day as the workers progressed. They would tear out a block every other day, and then prepare it for incoming new cement. The project took multiple weeks (to progress through an entire downtown), and he had permission to hit it even right while they were working during the day (immediately following the removal of the old cement). As time went on, he got seateds, barbers, V nickels, tokens, nick-nacks, etc... And the workers themselves became very intrigued and interested. Each day they'd gather around my friend, and look at his finds with fascination.

One day, the friend found a small chess-piece sized amulet thing, in the shape of an owl. It was gold colored, and had some sort of red jewels for the eyes. As the Mexican construction workers came over to see his latest finds that day, he showed them the owl thing. He mused that it "could be gold", and "could be from the 1800s" (based on the age of coin finds in that area), and the red jewel things "could be rubies". Naturally the workers were utterly floored and dazzled! That night, my friend went home to sort and clean his finds. He got to the owl charm thing, cleaned it up, and studied it closer. Turned out it was just gold plated. And turns out the red stone things in the eyes were just glass chips. And turns out it was just junk costume jewelry from the 1920s. Just worthless junk.

The next day, my friend returned to the const. site for the next day's tearout. As he was hunting, he could see a worker on a tractor eyeing him long and hard. Out of the corner of his eyes he could see that this worker was studying his every move. Eventually, the worker got brave, got down out of his tractor, and came over to talk to my friend. When the worker approached, my friend could see that it was a new worker whom he'd never seen before (this worker's first day on that job). The guy asked my friend what he'd found. My friend said that he'd only found some junk so far (as he hadn't gotten any coins yet that day). Upon hearing that, the worker told my friend that ......... the day before, a fellow had found "gold there!" At first, my friend thought maybe someone must've come after him (d/t he'd left early the day before). And that whomever came after him, must've found gold! So he asked the worker for details. As the worker spun the fabulous story of the gold found the previous day, a curious word came into play: "owl". Immediately my friend realized that the worker was talking about HIM, and not someone who came later, and found gold. So he corrected the worker and told him: "oh that was me, and no, I did not find gold. The item was junk costume jewelry".

But here's where the psychology comes in: The worker could not be dissuaded! He simply did not believe my friend. The worker assumed therefore, that someone else must've come later on in the day, and "found the gold". How did he know? Because around the water cooler that following morning, he'd heard the others talking about it. And they were EYE-WITNESSES afterall ! (you can't argue with an eye-witness can you?). And afterall, only they had authority to be there, (you can't argue with a city representative who has say-so of who can be there). Again my friend tried to set the fellow straight, but no amount of talk could do it. The fellow was convinced that there'd been gold found there, and that it therefore must've been someone else.

Now obviously, we can chuckle about this, because it's a simple matter of the "telephone game" (where the more people pass a story along, minor things get changed). But notice how this happened in the space of only 24 hours, and only between a simple passing to a single step/transition. See how the human psyche is?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,

I don't disagree with you. And, you are not left out.

Patrick

Last edited:
OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is for fun as well.

LUE Article
mercator.jpg

This one is the NM location of the LUE cache site that I cannot access. It is on privately owned property.
LUE Location.jpg

Attachments

• LUE Map.jpg
    LUE Map.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 444

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I have followed some of your post and always read your replies because you always give a good reply be it in favor or against the OP.
I have a lot of respect for you knowledge .
And I agree it is easy to start rumors and a good part of these legendary treasure are just that I’d say, but there are some that are true.
And I think I stated that in my earlier post that I know most of these legends are just that ,, legends .
But my point is if people do not believe then they do not have to inject their thoughts into it, what harm is it doing any one ?
Again I am not trying to insult you or discredit you in any way and I know this is a open forum and anyone that has a opinion good or bad can comment, and if anyone wants to argue the OP’s interpretation of the carving or maps that is cool, I just hoped to not see people post just to tell him what he has researched and looked for many years and enjoyed doing is a total waste of time.

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mical66,

That was well said. Of course, we all waste time. I have a metal detector and have taken it out without finding anything. I have researched some treasure 'leads' just to find out they are crap. Or, they might be valid but I couldn't find anything. I actually like hunting the LUE treasure. It isn't an obsession or anything. But, it is one of the few treasure leads where I have found actual evidence to its existence.

To me, it is the thrill of the hunt that is worthwhile. The things I have found turned out to be almost anticlimactic. But to read about a lead, research it to find out actual historical references, then to go in the field and find the trail, then actual carved rocks from the mid 1500's, then to find sealed entrances covered in Spanish markings, that is what makes it fun.

The thing that I can agree with Tom on is based in my own experience as well. KVM told me when I was a boy, "You have to do the math". There was a treasure lead here in Texas. The story goes something like this. A stagecoach was delivering the local army fort's payroll of gold coins. They were attacked by indians. They grabbed the chest and ran for their lives stopping only long enough to bury it during a running gun battle. One died, the other survived just long enough to tell what happened before dying himself.

The flaw in the story was the amount of gold in the chest. It extremely exceeded the amount of pay that fort would have received. The weight of the gold would not have allowed two men to run with it while being shot at. The area it is 'supposed' to be hidden in is extremely rocky terrain that would be a chore to dig in. The embellishments call to the naive as if a bounty is to be had. But, they are not real leads. There may be traces of truth lost in history somewhere.

I have also found that any 'legitimate' treasure lead isn't just a single lead. There are usually multiple treasure leads with different descriptions, events, etc. all in the same vicinity. Tracking each potential lead area on a map will triangulate a search grid accounting for the variations of the story that was passed down evolving into separate hidden treasures.

As for them being a waste of time? Oh, sure, that is cool too. I actually have fond memories of a few hunts that were so much fun but nothing was found. I have other hunts that were a drag even though something was found. To me, there is a deep down unleashing of adventure going out on a hunt. And, for some treasure leads, we may be barking up the wrong tree... but it is still a tree.

The absolute worst experience I have seen is when a person catches gold fever on a hunt and becomes almost psychologically or physically dangerous to the others (even if nothing is ever found.) Wow, that sucks. No one wants someone turning on them during a hunt.

Patrick

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will read that PatrickD, you may know or remember a post i have been trying to find again.
Was a man using aliases for him and his son and friend,, think his son was Bruce Wayne or something like that , any way he had been introduced to someone that had 2nd hand knowledge of Jesuit gold in the desert , the man who had first hand was either dead or too old to do anything but had shown a gold bar to the man with 2nd hand knowledge .
Any way the author wrote of years of traveling back and forwards and studying maps and comparing them to the cave and cliff carvings , then eventually making matches.
He learned to read the Spanish symbols and was eventually able to after many years find multiple Cache sites where the clues told him they would be , but each one had been dug and someone carved the dates they had been there and dug it. He left it that he still had a couple more to decipher and find so hoped 1 may be untouched.
Was a long essay and very interesting.
I have looked time and time again but have not been able to find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread