Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was in the local grocery to buy a couple of things. As I approached one of the checkout lanes, I heard an elderly woman calling out to a John. She got louder and I realized that she was coming straight to me and calling me John. I started to tell her that I was not John but she was already up to me and was hugging me around my waist. I looked up to see another woman with this "OH NO" look on her face as she hurried over to us. The elderly woman was saying something about me not coming by to see her for several weeks as I motioned to the other woman that it was alright. The younger woman smiled slightly as I returned the hug the and quietly told her that I would come by in a few days. Then I kissed her on top of her head as the younger woman lightly pulled her away. I heard her say, "Come on mom, John is busy right now and we have to be getting home now."

I watched as they made their way outside and then I went back to what I was doing. Moments later, the younger woman appeared beside me as she apologized for her mother's actions. I told her that it was no problem and then she said that I did resemble her late brother who had died just a couple months back. Then she thanked me for treating her mother as well as I did. I just answered that I only did what I would hope anyone else would do. As I drove home, I remembered seeing a woman that from the backside, reminded me of my own late mother. Somehow this was a lot different from having a little kid calling you grandpa as you walked by. This business of growing old, we all hope to have a sound mind and a body that holds up decently but the odds seem to be against it for a lot of us. I could see the joy in this elderly woman's eyes as she thought that I was her son, how could you not hug her back? Yeah, I would do it again if it ever happened again.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well played man. My dad had Alzheimer’s so I have the possibility of that to look forward to. I try to eat healthy and get plenty of exercise but who really knows, life is a crap shoot.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I thought at the end of the story you were gonna say the young women returned you wallet. My bad. Great story.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are a very good man! :icon_thumleft:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story and great good deed! Most of the time I have folks walk up and say are you John, Jim, George, Carl or some other name and when I say no, they state that I look exactly like the person they thought I was. I then reply with "I feel sorry for the poor person that looks like me"!:icon_scratch::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread