A Connecticut Copper!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I skipped work this past Friday to explore a cellar hole that I found in a neighboring county. I only got a couple high tones, one of which was this Connecticut copper. I found one of these a few years ago, but it was barely recognizable; this one looks pretty good to me, though the date is worn off. For those unfamiliar with the coin, they were minted from 1785-1788. From what I have read, there are over 100 type varieties of this coin made at six different mints. The coin is inscribed in Latin and says AUCTORI CONNEC (authority Connecticut) and INDE ET LIB (independence and liberty). Unfortunately, I lack the smarts and the resources to identify this coin’s variety, but that’s Ok. What a great hobby! Good luck out there.
28006A33-49CE-451C-8F06-01918D6FC09B.jpeg
535D4D31-DC36-4E0C-9634-3619BD1AADE3.jpeg

Upvote 36

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I skipped work this past Friday to explore a cellar hole that I found in a neighboring county. I only got a couple high tones, one of which was this Connecticut copper. I found one of these a few years ago, but it was barely recognizable; this one looks pretty good to me, though the date is worn off. For those unfamiliar with the coin, they were minted from 1785-1788. From what I have read, there are over 100 type varieties of this coin made at six different mints. The coin is inscribed in Latin and says AUCTORI CONNEC (authority Connecticut) and INDE ET LIB (independence and liberty). Unfortunately, I lack the smarts and the resources to identify this coin’s variety, but that’s Ok. What a great hobby! Good luck out there. View attachment 2053902 View attachment 2053903
Fantastic! What an incredible piece of early USA history! Well done!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I skipped work this past Friday to explore a cellar hole that I found in a neighboring county. I only got a couple high tones, one of which was this Connecticut copper. I found one of these a few years ago, but it was barely recognizable; this one looks pretty good to me, though the date is worn off. For those unfamiliar with the coin, they were minted from 1785-1788. From what I have read, there are over 100 type varieties of this coin made at six different mints. The coin is inscribed in Latin and says AUCTORI CONNEC (authority Connecticut) and INDE ET LIB (independence and liberty). Unfortunately, I lack the smarts and the resources to identify this coin’s variety, but that’s Ok. What a great hobby! Good luck out there. View attachment 2053902 View attachment 2053903
Thank you for skipping work! :) Great find!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure it's a Miller 19-g.4

Miller 19-g.4.jpg

It's listed as an R-3 so a scarce die pairing. Really fantastic condition though for a dug CT copper; very nice find!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer find!! Congrats!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty sure it's a Miller 19-g.4

View attachment 2053967

It's listed as an R-3 so a scarce die pairing. Really fantastic condition though for a dug CT copper; very nice find!
I think you nailed it! You must have a great eye for detail and knowledge of these coins. Thanks for the ID. You made an interesting coin even more so for me.

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find

Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding! Well done! Great looking coin.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool. On my bucket list.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a REALLY nice example. Most are not like that out of the ground. Don't worry......you'll get more. My current count is 23. Congrats......Hogge

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a REALLY nice example. Most are not like that out of the ground. Don't worry......you'll get more. My current count is 23. Congrats......Hogge
23?!!? Holy smokes that’s awesome. I’ll be happy if I can find even just one again. Thanks for the comments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread