A Couple of Etrac Questions From a New Owner

Whitesmd

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got my new Etrac but I have 1000 questions of which I will only share two:

1. I received my Minelab control box cover. Does this really fit? I read in Jeff's book,that it is a tight fit. No kidding. I am afraid I might damage the box trying to put it on. Suggestions? I thought of Vaseline but figured that was not a good idea.

2. So exactly what is "deep recover" and how does it work? I noted that in the stock coin program it defaults to "off." Most guys seem to turn it on. I even watched a homemade instructional video where the guy says "I don't know what this does but it makes me feel better so I turn it on." Like many things in the detector world I suspect there is a trade off? That is, if I turn it on I am giving up something else that I might not want to give up.

Any input is appreciated!

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The rain jacket is a very tight fit. Best thing to do is strech it out with your hands a little and try again. You have to wiggle it on, but at least you know it will not come off while detecting.

When you turn on recovery deep it allows the machine to get those whispers. What you give up is the VDI numbers will be less reliable then if it is off. So depending on the hunting you do its good or bad. Keep in mind it is SOUND FIRST. Go by the sound.

I am a relic hunter and just use the quick mask mode turn the iron down to 30 and recovery deep on. I dig some of the worst numbers in the worst iron infested places and have made incredible recoveries because I went by the sound. Sound will almost never tell you wronge. Any more questions just ask and enjoy the machine.

John DeArmitt
Fort Bedford Metal Detectors

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to dissuade you from asking questions, but you MUST get a copy of Andy Sabich's E-Trac book. Read through that and the owners manual at least twice each. Then take your detector out and play with it, preferably someplace like a sand or wood bark "tot lot". Leave the detector in the stock coin mode for the very beginning. Use the tot lot to learn the sounds and responses to different targets. Learn how to pinpoint.

Then you should have a solid (beginning) grasp of how your machine works. There are some useful changes to make after that, but learn the basics first.

Everything you set on any metal detector is a tradeoff.
Most settings changes should be location dependant. Deep targets, heay trash, low mineralization, high mineralization... Many different sites need different settings.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason in Enid said:
Not to dissuade you from asking questions, but you MUST get a copy of Andy Sabich's E-Trac book. Read through that and the owners manual at least twice each. Then take your detector out and play with it, preferably someplace like a sand or wood bark "tot lot". Leave the detector in the stock coin mode for the very beginning. Use the tot lot to learn the sounds and responses to different targets. Learn how to pinpoint.

Then you should have a solid (beginning) grasp of how your machine works. There are some useful changes to make after that, but learn the basics first.

Everything you set on any metal detector is a tradeoff.
Most settings changes should be location dependant. Deep targets, heay trash, low mineralization, high mineralization... Many different sites need different settings.

Great post!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a great post. :icon_thumleft: I want remind everyone regardless of who you bought the machine from I invite you to call me if you need any assistance with the etrac, and settings.

Toll Free 855-966-3563

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you got your new machine, I think its time to change your screen name. :dontknow: Good luck with the etrac. Take the time to learn it and you will love it. :icon_thumright: You got alot of good people on this site that will help you along the way.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
In regard to the question on 'deep recovery' I don't believe that throws the screen numbers off (previous poster says it does); 'fast recovery' does affect screen numbers -- perhaps he confused the 2.

What to consider when having deep recovery on/off, is (1) are there deep targets or (2) a lot of trash or (3) both. Alot of these settings add additional filters in the computing before you get a signal through. If you are in a high trash area, and want the best most rapid response and are hunting with audio tones only, you definitely want recovery fast ON and deep recovery OFF. Deep recovery will slow the processor of the etrac, though you may not notice this in normal conditions. In high trash where you want maximum separation between targets have Deep off.

If you are in an area where a sweep of the coil produces only say 2 or at most 3 signals, then deep on is probably okay, but there are places where I have hunted and will pull a dime out of a 2 inch hole and it is surrounded by 4 trash targets. When you are in this situation have deep off. If of course you are in a clean area no harm having it on, even if the targets aren't deep.

As to screen numbers, the most successful etrac hunters I know don't even look at them. To get to that point takes a lot of time, but there are times, irrespective of fast recovery or deep recovery on, there are times that you get a good audio and have a good target, but if you went by screen #'s you would not dig. On the Etrac sound trumps #'s.

BTW Vasoline may damage your control box more than forcing the cover on. Just be patient with it.

Hope this helps and good luck with the Etrac

OP
OP
W

Whitesmd

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for your helpful posts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread