A Dopey Question

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
OK, I'm no prospector, but the thought occurred to me:

Most Gravel Pits (NOT rock quarries) excavate alluvial deposits of sand & gravel.

Given the TONS of materials even small operators move through their sand & gravel screening & washing operations, AND the current prices for gold, has anyone ever considered / tried / heard of adding a sluice to the washers in your run-of-the-mill gravel pits ?

I couldn't turn anything up through a series of searches on the net.......

Just a random thought.................

Diggem'

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only tried prospecting a few times when I visit my brother which is the prospector in AZ. Even a tiny amount of gold can be found at certain locations for the recreational miner that does this for fun and not profit. :coffee2:

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola/BandidoII u max/Quick draw II/Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Even the Beaches here have flour gold.
Extracting it is a challenge to say the least and require very much work.
More than most want to do.

OP
OP
diggemall

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
The answers so far sort of validates my point:

I would suspect there is SOME amount of gold to be extracted from almost any alluvial deposit.

The question is can a sluice be added to a commercial gravel or sand washer in such a way as to extract some percentage of any gold that might be "in the mix" almost as a "by-product" (albeit a profitable one) of the gravel washing operation ?

Diggem

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure it could be. Most operations use trommels to seperate the material by sizes. It probably wouldn't take much of a change to add a long tom sluice to the sand output, although it would probably require additional water and the wet output sands could slowdown thier overall operations.

I have personally panned flakes from "playground sand" purchased at your typical home improvement store.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread