A drill thing?

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple heart breakers (obsidian) and a drill (?) (Not obsidian-not sure what material it is.)

IMG_0638.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes a nice little pencil drill and you are darn lucky it is mostly whole just a few little bites on it. I find so many snapped but cant never find what they were drilling. Its a Good one

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes a nice little pencil drill and you are darn lucky it is mostly whole just a few little bites on it. I find so many snapped but cant never find what they were drilling. Its a Good one

Ive found only one whole one and a few broken ones that were left where they were found. Ivve also found a few pieces of pottery sherds with holes drilled in them, for leather straps and so forth.

OP
OP
crj1968

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the info. I found the back half of that point and looked around for the other half... walked away. And after about 15 minutes thought "one more check"

Saw the drill thing sitting right there- It was covered with dirt, so at first it looked like a stick.

I am in southwest Idaho... my friend has property near snake river (Shoshone occupation)

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would've been a nice drill.... Do you mostly find obsidian

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
crj1968

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would've been a nice drill.... Do you mostly find obsidian

Do you think it's broken?

Yes, obsidian is very common out here.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think it's broken?

Yes, obsidian is very common out here.
No.... Sorry... Now that I zoomed in I can see where it's been worked all the way around...I've never found a drill, and from what I can tell they're not that easy to find! Good find I ain't had much luck lately..

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice drill!!! They are special finds that is for sure. I imagine that type were attached to a handle but I don't really know. Congrats!! That broken base looks like an old one:)

OP
OP
crj1968

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice drill!!! They are special finds that is for sure. I imagine that type were attached to a handle but I don't really know. Congrats!! That broken base looks like an old one:)

Yeah, makes sense the flattened part in slot like a point and then spun between palms. I wonder if they could have been used to start fires ?

OP
OP
crj1968

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting... and like Rock asked in your post.....

What was the use for a Labret ? they look interesting....

Oh nevermind, I just had to go to the next page... Ok that would be crazy if that was through someones nose!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread