A Face, a Ravine, and a Mine

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The mine, which Waltzer described as being a cone-shaped pit is supposedly situated in a ravine high on the side of a mountain with the mouth of the mine facing west. Directly across the ravine and facing the east is a rock formation shaped like a face that looks down on the mine. Also across the ravine from the mine there is a cave. On the hillside below the mine there is a horizontal shaft penetrating into the mountain. This uncompleted tunnel was supposedly started by the Mexicans when the pit above became too difficult to work. -- Estee Conatser, "The Sterling Legend", page 30.

Probably just another Google Earth "trick." Don't put on your hiking boots and backpack.

I.png

J.png

K.png

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a dog in this fight BUT the face area has that "worked" look directly below it. Not sure to call it tailings or what but it's obvious, odd enough to question if thats natural or not.

EDN

Apr 17, 2016
Gilbert, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skyhawk1251,

You may already know this but, have you tried viewing these places using the historical imagery in Google Earth? I have found it helpful to see details and compare terrain features. I wish the GE images were clearer. I have found the actual terrain looks quite different when in the field.

I attached two images. They are the same location but at different times. In the 6/24/2011 (20110624) you can clearly see the trail where it is difficult to see in the other image.

I will have to check for the rock formation that looks like a face where I have been looking.

Good Luck!

EDN

Attachments

• GE Image Date 20180113.jpg
    GE Image Date 20180113.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 50
  • GE Image Date 20110624.jpg
    GE Image Date 20110624.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't have a dog in this fight BUT the face area has that "worked" look directly below it. Not sure to call it tailings or what but it's obvious, odd enough to question if that's natural or not. -- Riverbum

The spot that you mention, inside the green box, is probably a depression in the canyon bottom that traps fine sediment when water is flowing in the canyon. Higher, rocky protrusions into the canyon, left and right of the depression, act as wing dams to help trap the sediment.

I.png

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Skyhawk1251 -- You may already know this, but have you tried viewing these places using the historical imagery in Google Earth? I have found it helpful to see details and compare terrain features. I wish the GE images were clearer. I have found the actual terrain looks quite different when in the field. I attached two images. They are the same location, but at different times. In the 6/24/2011 (20110624) you can clearly see the trail where it is difficult to see in the other image. I will have to check for the rock formation that looks like a face where I have been looking. Good Luck! -- EDN

Yes, EDN, I've used Google Earth's historical imagery, although not in this particular case. You are correct when you wrote, "the actual terrain looks quite different when in the field." During my recent trip to the mountains, I hiked Second Water Trail to Garden Valley, then north from there toward Hackberry Spring until there was an abrupt drop in elevation. I then turned around and hiked a portion of Black Mesa Trail until there was again an abrupt drop in elevation. I looked for the mine along Black Mesa Trail that is marked on the topo map, but saw no signs of it, although it is very evident in the GE image below. So, it's always wise to doubt the reliability of Google Earth. From what I had seen using GE, I had expected vegetation to be sparse and growing in clumps in some spots, making off-trail hiking possible, but what I found was very different. Dense vegetation was everywhere, even in the creek bottoms/washes. Due to the thick vegetation, I was unable to reach my objectives, since it was impossible to know how long it would take to get there. The vegetation also provided plenty of hiding places for snakes, and they were reported to be active when I was there.

Although I quoted from Estee Conaster's book, "The Sterling Legend", I didn't find much useful information inside her book. One major failing of her book is that she did not include footnotes citing sources for what she wrote. Most of her "analysis" amounts to nothing more than "nobody knows, and nobody ever will know." The only useful facts that I gleaned from the book was evidence of hardrock mining by Mexicans, and where that evidence was found. She provided no photos of that evidence, however, so we have to accept her word as truth. Overall, a disappointing book. If anyone wants the book, despite what I think of it, it's available at the Lost Dutchman Museum, where I bought my copy.

IMG_2378.jpg

K.png

Notice the rectangular, rock structure inside the green box. It's located about 185 feet, line-of-sight, from the mine across the ravine.

F.png

GE image of the mine along Black Mesa Trail.

EDN

Apr 17, 2016
Gilbert, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skyhawk1251,

The feature in red box on the left does look like a face. Did you hike out to that spot on your trip? Any pictures? I see the one you posted of green valley. I have only been there a couple of times. Once with my wife and kids and another time with a scout group. Did you check out the Indian ruins while you were up there? Some parts of the ruins are really difficult to see.

EDN

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Skyhawk1251 -- The feature in red box on the left does look like a face. Did you hike out to that spot on your trip? Any pictures? I see the one you posted of Garden Valley. I have only been there a couple of times. Once with my wife and kids and another time with a scout group. Did you check out the Indian ruins while you were up there? Some parts of the ruins are really difficult to see. -- EDN

I have not yet hiked to the ravine and the old mine. That trip, if I do it, will be multi-days, camping above the ravine near the mine. I don't want to leave my vehicle parked at First Water Trailhead for several days, so that presents a logistical problem. I'll need transportation to and from the trailhead. After driving the road to the trailhead on this last trip, I'm dubious if any taxi service will want to drive that road. If I begin the hike at Canyon Lake Marina with the intention of going into Boulder Canyon to the old mine, it's at least a fourteen-mile ride just on SR 88 to the marina. The cab fare would probably be astronomical. Plus, the trail along Boulder Canyon is reported to be overgrown with vegetation and difficult to follow in places, so First Water Trailhead would be preferred as a starting point. I'll have to think on this awhile.

I didn't search for the Hohokam ruins when I was at Garden Valley. I've seen photos of the ruins, and they don't amount to much, so I crossed them off my to-do list. Back in the early twentieth century ancient artifacts could be gathered from Garden Valley in the hundreds, if not thousands.

My objectives during my last trip were the J. Clapp mine on the west slopes of Hackberry Mesa, a possible stone foundation on a tiny mesa west of Hackberry Mesa, and the mine that is mapped along Black Mesa Trail.

A.png

G.png

F.png

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not yet hiked to the ravine and the old mine. That trip, if I do it, will be multi-days, camping above the ravine near the mine. I don't want to leave my vehicle parked at First Water Trailhead for several days, so that presents a logistical problem. I'll need transportation to and from the trailhead. After driving the road to the trailhead on this last trip, I'm dubious if any taxi service will want to drive that road. If I begin the hike at Canyon Lake Marina with the intention of going into Boulder Canyon to the old mine, it's at least a fourteen-mile ride just on SR 88 to the marina. The cab fare would probably be astronomical. Plus, the trail along Boulder Canyon is reported to be overgrown with vegetation and difficult to follow in places, so First Water Trailhead would be preferred as a starting point. I'll have to think on this awhile.

I didn't search for the Hohokam ruins when I was at Garden Valley. I've seen photos of the ruins, and they don't amount to much, so I crossed them off my to-do list. Back in the early twentieth century ancient artifacts could be gathered from Garden Valley in the hundreds, if not thousands.

My objectives during my last trip were the J. Clapp mine on the west slopes of Hackberry Mesa, a possible stone foundation on a tiny mesa west of Hackberry Mesa, and the mine that is mapped along Black Mesa Trail.

View attachment 2021025

View attachment 2021026

View attachment 2021027
Skyhawk,
Just a couple of ideas to think about …. as far as not leaving your vehicle at the trailhead.
One option, if you plan to have gear packed in. I think you may be able to park at their place???? Maybe for a nice tip 😎
Another idea if packing your own gear in, then perhaps getting a rental car in Kingman, and park it at the trailhead ….. save racking up miles on your own car too 😁👍
Not sure how either would compare to taxi fares …. ????

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Idahodutch --

I will carry my gear in, ultralight mode. A rental car would complicate matters, and definitely so if the car was vandalized at the trailhead. My first trip into the mountains was enjoyable, although I didn't achieve all my objectives. I didn't see any water sources along my hike from First Water Trailhead, so I'm assuming any water to be found will be somewhere in Boulder Canyon or in Needle Canyon. I didn't drive through Phoenix to get to Apache Junction. I did a "Grand Tour of Arizona" getting there and back home to Kingman. A stop at Vulture City was very interesting. I visited the usual tourist destinations along SR 88 -- the Lost Dutchman Museum, Goldfield, and Lost Dutchman State Park. The scenery passing through Superior, Globe, Payson was spectacular. The scenery passing through Gila Bend and toward Casa Grande was bland and boring.

EDN

Apr 17, 2016
Gilbert, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skyhawk1251,

There is always a chance of vandalism when you leave your stuff. I have parked my car at the "First Water Horse Lot" and spent a few nights with the Scouts without issues. However, anything could happen at any time. However, if your ever out here again, I live in Gilbert, and would be happy to drive you out to First Water or any other spot.

I just went on a hike in Four Peaks. Luckily there was plenty of water. I bought this water filter and bag that was awesome. I've been to this spot in the past but, without water, I could only stay 2 nights.

Attachments

• EDNfourpeaks.JPG
    EDNfourpeaks.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 52
  • watter.JPG
    watter.JPG
    566.2 KB · Views: 49
  • First Water.jpg
    First Water.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EDN --

Thanks very much for the offer of a ride, but I wouldn't want to pull you away from your family responsibilities and other things that keep you busy. I'm sure I can find some way to get the job done. If anyone watching this thread will be hiking into Boulder Canyon to its junction with Needle Canyon, photos looking up the ravine from the bottom of Boulder Canyon would be appreciated. I'm sure the climb up the south ridge of the ravine won't be as easy as it looks on Google Earth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread