A few crystals from Topaz Mountain

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Went down for half a day with 3 of my boys, and had a blast as usual. I wasn't feeling too hot(disabilities flaring up), and my 16 year old who spells me is in California at the moment, so the sledgehammer was feeling heavier than normal. A group of varsity scouts(14 and 15 year olds) and there leaders were near me. One leader came ever and I was telling him how to read the rock, and went back to swinging. He watched for a few more minutes before I asked if he wanted to take a few swings. I have never seen anyone move so fast to do manual labor.

We made short work of the releasing and breaking up the boulder, and by the time we were done we had 3 leaders and the 12 or so kids surrounding us. The look on everyone's face when for the first time they see a boulder split and a seam containing amber colored crystals is absolutely priceless to me. I let them recover the crystals and gave them all the crystals to split, and they broke up the rock and found some more.

I of course looked where we removed the boulder and liked what I saw, I knew I would find a keeper or 2 for myself. I was working a pocket with my screwdriver, and saw a large, dark flash of amber glint out from the pocket. I got the scouts attention, and pulled it out in front of all of them. It is the big one in the picture, and I can promise you that even after finding many like that, it is an incredible feeling.

When they had to go the boys took off and the leaders kept thanking me. I let them know it was my pleasure, and introducing them and the boys to those incredible discovery experiences was priceless to me. I was lucky to have a Grandpa who owned a rock shop and whenever I could drag myself out of the city we went some very neat places and found beauties that nature has hidden away for us to find. Giving others the same gift he gave me is always a special occasion for me.

Attachments

• topaz 005.JPG
    topaz 005.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 304
Upvote 0

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Great story, great finds, and I can SO SEE a very nice silver and topaz necklace coming from the bottom left crystal! My wife loves that stone!

You made some definite memories for the Scouts today as well! :thumbsup:

Grip

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
You do get alot of pleasure passing on your knowledge to kids,especially when they show interest. I am sure you will have given at least a few of them enough enthusiasm to take up the hobby. Those are really nice finds, thank you for sharing.

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
that would be so cool to find nice pics

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread