Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got out on Friday and yesterday for a few hours, made a few finds. :thumbsup:
Found a small pocket watch, not sure how old this is, but based on the style of the face c1900 - 20.
Also found a musketball and a 1940 Penny.

Thanks for looking,
Dave

20221030_112443_resized.jpg
20221028_122029.jpg
20221030_091328_resized.jpg
20221030_200036_resized.jpg
20221030_200105_resized.jpg
20221030_200134_resized.jpg
20221027_174113.jpg

Upvote 20

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out on Friday and yesterday for a few hours, made a few finds. :thumbsup:
Found a small pocket watch, not sure how old this is, but based on the style of the face c1900 - 20.
Also found a musketball and a 1940 Penny.

Thanks for looking,
Dave

View attachment 2053169 View attachment 2053170 View attachment 2053171 View attachment 2053172 View attachment 2053173 View attachment 2053174 View attachment 2053175
Looking for scraps? :)
Haven't seen your posts in awhile so welcome back...would love to find a musket ball. Thanks for sharing 😊

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting way to give the doggie a bath, Dave..:laughing7:.. What a delightful looking little friend.

The pocket watch it a dandy find.. worth check out again.. Hopefully the farmer will disc some more soon

Micheal

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to see you posting again...
Thank you Cru, it's been a challenging year. Hope you and your Dad are both well.
Dave

I like your "food-detecting" friend! Has an excellent detector built in!
Thanks for your post Almy. Yes, she's a real monkey when it comes to pre-washing our dishes... no need for a rinse cycle. :laughing7: I was planning to be in the St. Margaret's Bay area in September, that is until I heard Fiona was heading your way.

Beautiful pocket watch and a beautiful pooch!
Thank you FF, my only wish is that the face had survived in better condition. As it is, it'll likely end up in the 'scrap bucket' for recycling. Oakley is one of the smartest dogs we've had in 30 years. :icon_thumright:

Looking for scraps? :)
Haven't seen your posts in awhile so welcome back...would love to find a musket ball. Thanks for sharing 😊
Thanks for your post CM, great to hear from you as well. Love seeing the interesting coins you're always finding too. Hoping to get a couple of new permissions over the winter for next year. :thumbsup:

Interesting way to give the doggie a bath, Dave..:laughing7:.. What a delightful looking little friend.

The pocket watch it a dandy find.. worth check out again.. Hopefully the farmer will disc some more soon

Micheal
Hi Micheal! :hello:As you well know, some dogs can figure things out very quickly and this one can sniff out a drop of peanut butter a mile away.

Unfortunately for me, this farmer moved to no-till farming a few years ago and hasn't turned the soil in years. He just keeps planting beans on top of beans year after year. His yield must be suffering due to not rotating his crops with corn and wheat. At least when they plant beans after corn, they need to disk, but this field hasn't seen a disk plow for at least 5 years. Here's a bit of info on the positives and negatives in no-till compared to conventional farming.

No-till farming (also known as zero tillage or direct drilling)

No-till farming is an agricultural technique for growing crops or pasture without disturbing the soil through tillage. No-till farming decreases the amount of soil erosion tillage causes in certain soils, especially in sandy and dry soils on sloping terrain. Other benefits include an increase in the amount of water that infiltrates into the soil, soil retention of organic matter, and nutrient cycling. These methods may increase the amount and variety of life in and on the soil. While conventional no-tillage systems use herbicides to control weeds, organic systems use a combination of strategies, such as planting cover crops as mulch to suppress weeds.

There are three basic methods of no-till farming. "Sod seeding" is when crops are sown with seeding machinery into a sod produced by applying herbicides on a cover crop. "Direct seeding" is when crops are sown through the residue of previous crop. "Surface seeding" or "direct seeding" is when crops are left on the surface of the soil; on flatland's, this requires no machinery and minimal labour. Tillage is dominant in agriculture today, but no-till methods may have success in some contexts. In some cases, minimum tillage or "low-till" methods combine till and no-till methods. For example, some approaches may use shallow cultivation (i.e., using a disc harrow) but no plowing or use strip tillage.

Some studies have found that no-till farming can be more profitable in some cases. In some cases, it may reduce labour, fuel, irrigation and machinery costs. No-till can increase yield because of higher water infiltration and storage capacity, and less erosion. Another benefit is that because of the higher water content, instead of leaving a field fallow it can make economic sense to plant another crop instead. One problem of no-till farming is that in spring, the soil both warms and dries more slowly, which may delay planting. Harvest can thus occur later than in a conventionally tilled field. The slower warming is due to crop residue being a lighter color than the soil which would be exposed in conventional tillage, which then absorbs less solar energy. However, that is being affected by climate change, so warmer temperatures may offset these effects. But in the meantime, this can be managed by using row cleaners on a planter.

A problem with no-till farming is that if production is impacted negatively by the implemented process then the profitability of the practice also may decrease in relation to increasing gas prices and high labour costs. As the prices for fuel and labour continue to rise, it may be more practical for farms and farming productions to turn toward a no-till operation. In the spring, poor draining clay soil may have lower production due to a cold and wet year.

Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!
Thanks Randy! :thumbsup:

Nice digs! I like the watch....and the dog. I'll have to try washing my dog that way.
Thanks for your post Jeff. I'll let you in on a little secret we do... the dishes get a better cleaning if you put them on the floor for her. In the dishwasher rack, I have to keep turning them. :tongue3: Here's another pic of her when she was about 4 months old.

Nice variety at finds! Way to go!
Thanks Steve, hope you're doing well this year.
Dave

20201120_075459_resized_1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread