A few Firsts. 1st navy button, 1st girl scout pin. Noticed the 1838 half dime isn't coin true. Rotated die.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't been out for any long hunts this month. An hour of two here or there. I revisited a site after a year and managed a few more buckles and a 1964 rosey. Then one night after work stopped at honey hole for about 45 mi and got what I think is a brass moto meter radiator cap and a navy button. Navy button is definitely pre ww2. Back mark is "Waterbury button co Waterbury Connecticut ". I'm thinking ww1 era???Era???? Sadly butterfly earring is junk.

Had a weekend it was in the 70s so I went into a creek. Water was cold air was not. Lasted about 2.5 hours before my feet got too cold. Spent half hunt on wrong side of water digging fishing weights. Crossed water and got on a flat button, smashed 2 piece button, a girl scout pin and the skeleton key. Still has some iron crust on it from iron blob it was sitting next too.

Finally got a holder for the 1838 seated half dime and noticed it's not coin true. Sides aren't 180 degrees out of phase. As seen on photo. Think this is what is called a rotated die error. Pretty neat.

Attachments

• 20221123_174804.jpg
    20221123_174804.jpg
    690 KB · Views: 121
  • 20221123_184646.jpg
    20221123_184646.jpg
    904.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20221030_150823.jpg
    20221030_150823.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 18

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds- that seated is mint!

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds- that seated is mint!
Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving. Was pretty surprised how nice it came out given how slick the one real was in there. It's really a coin and button heavy site. Up to 8 buttons now with the navy one in this post, 12.25 coppers, 1887 indian, shield nickel, wheaty, 1782 carlous III real and the seated in this post. House that was there likely burned down between 1860 and 1876. Lot of fire damage on coppers and relics. 5 coppers were actually melted together into one.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't been out for any long hunts this month. An hour of two here or there. I revisited a site after a year and managed a few more buckles and a 1964 rosey. Then one night after work stopped at honey hole for about 45 mi and got what I think is a brass moto meter radiator cap and a navy button. Navy button is definitely pre ww2. Back mark is "Waterbury button co Waterbury Connecticut ". I'm thinking ww1 era???Era???? Sadly butterfly earring is junk.

Had a weekend it was in the 70s so I went into a creek. Water was cold air was not. Lasted about 2.5 hours before my feet got too cold. Spent half hunt on wrong side of water digging fishing weights. Crossed water and got on a flat button, smashed 2 piece button, a girl scout pin and the skeleton key. Still has some iron crust on it from iron blob it was sitting next too.

Finally got a holder for the 1838 seated half dime and noticed it's not coin true. Sides aren't 180 degrees out of phase. As seen on photo. Think this is what is called a rotated die error. Pretty neat.
Coin is a amazing

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I have to admit I was looking for twist lol
The little half dime is nice and crisp, great details! Then it dawned on me....the term I think you are looking for is a rotated die...these minor errors were very common early on at the early US mints and you got a beauty with yours..great going!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread