A few Medieval silver coins and my most beautiful silver so far.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

Just came back from an other European trip where I have managed some awesome coins and relics. Spent a good 3 weeks researching new spots, detecting and enjoying the European culture and cuisine. I believe I had some success in my research and I believe this trip is the most productive yet. I will make 3 posts of my finds: one for the silver and billon coins, one for the relics and one for the cooper/bronze.
As with my other travels all relics stayed in their country of origin and all detecting done with the permission of the land owner.

My adventure started during the cold winter months in The Great White North while researching the potential detecting sites for my trip. I don't know any detectorists in the general area I was going so I had to solely rely on myself for the hunting sites. It's a risk, but I believe when done properly and knowing the rich European history it can produce some interesting results. Plus, the feeling of being able to find good sites without any outside help,in my view, is much more rewarding.
Being able to communicate in a few languages, I managed to secure most of the permissions I was hoping to get ( only a few produced good results,which is normal). One of the permissions was in my view a virgin site, never detected. I believe, it might have been an old trading road that cut through the woods and the relics I have found there were the only remanence of it's past existence.

But before I become too boring, here are the best silver coin finds of my trip.

My first good find of the trip was a 16th century silver spill.

20180303_155511.jpg

Three billon coins of Charles IX 1550-1574
Two were Denier Parisis

DSC_0035.JPG DSC_0033.JPG

And one Double Parisis.

DSC_0024.JPG DSC_0025.JPG

Even there, I was more productive silver wise than on any of my European trips. And that's where I learned the valuable lesson to dig the low sounding signals on the promising sites.

After that, I started working a new site I have mentioned earlier. Couldn't have been happier with the results. Most of the finds were from the Medieval period and ranged from 1100's-1500's Most of the coins were billon, so the silver content varied depending on the period. From the low to a decent amount.

One of my favorites is the Denier Parisis - Louis VII "Le Jeune" 1137-1178 (my oldest silver coin).

DSC_0023.JPG DSC_0022.JPG

An other great coin was Denier Parisis made during his son's reign Philippe II Auguste 1165-1223

DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0015.JPG

This one is Double Parisis of Philippe IV ''Le Bel'' 1295-1303

DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0020.JPG

The amazingly unexpected find was this coin from Crusader's principality of Achaea
William II of Villehardouin 1246 - 1278 Denier ร  la Tour.
It's amazing to find this coin so far from the place it was struck but again it was surely brought there by the troops returning from the 7th Crusade. (Haven't cleaned it much so not to damage it).

DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG

A rare denier tournois of Charles IX (again, low silver content billon)

DSC_0060.JPG DSC_0059.JPG

An other silver medieval coin waiting to be ID'd.
Possibly a Charles VII (1422-1461)

DSC_0028.JPG DSC_0029.JPG

A few billons that are beyond recognition.

DSC_0031.JPG DSC_0043.JPG DSC_0062.JPG

For the more recent coins.

My dream coin. Louis XIV 1643 1/4 Ecu (first year minted).
In an absolutely amazing condition, couldn't have asked for a better one.

20180307_153036.jpg
DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0003.JPG

Was very deep on it's side and I barely heard the faint but definitively good signal on my XP. Extremely happy with this find!

Quatre sols ''des traitants'' Louis XIV 1676 in a good condition. Strangely, found the same one in Canada.

DSC_0052.JPG DSC_0053.JPG

Louis XIV Deniers aux 2 L Couronnes

DSC_0041.JPG DSC_0042.JPG

A few more recent silver coins.

Two 50 centimes 1912 and 1915

DSC_0054.JPG DSC_0055.JPG
DSC_0048.JPG DSC_0047.JPG

And my largest silver coin of the trip.

10 Francs 1934 They are pretty rare to find as most were melted to pay for the the Second World War efforts.

DSC_0056.JPG DSC_0057.JPG

As I have promised, I will make an other post in a few days with the relics I have found.

As always, thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 64
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had to check out this post again today. What a beautiful coin that 1643 is. That has to be banner. I am voting now

Thank you Rubka888. I have seen French coins found in North America not getting a banner. They deserved it much more.
It's a great coin never the less and a pretty rare find in this condition especially.

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dang! That was awesome. Thanks for the post!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like revisiting your post.
Itโ€™s like wanting to go back to a candy store when I
Was a kid.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like revisiting your post.
Itโ€™s like wanting to go back to a candy store when I
Was a kid.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Everyone before me used all the good expressive words so I'll just say congrats and thanks for the post. I may have missed it but how many different countries did you go to? If you don't want to name them that's cool. I just wondered if you went to these sites cold and asked permissions, how did the people respond to you? I know speaking the local language is a big plus and most efforts are respected. My French teacher told me I "could move to France, live there 5 years and you'd still speak it with a Missouri twang". Did you study the different Treasure or Antiquities Laws for each country? Now on to see if you've made your other posts. Great job and good luck.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Everyone before me used all the good expressive words so I'll just say congrats and thanks for the post. I may have missed it but how many different countries did you go to? If you don't want to name them that's cool. I just wondered if you went to these sites cold and asked permissions, how did the people respond to you? I know speaking the local language is a big plus and most efforts are respected. My French teacher told me I "could move to France, live there 5 years and you'd still speak it with a Missouri twang". Did you study the different Treasure or Antiquities Laws for each country? Now on to see if you've made your other posts. Great job and good luck.

Thanks. I only stayed in one region as I don't think constantly moving from place to place gives me enough time to understand the area I'm exploring. The laws in many European countries are very similar to US or Canada. Don't go on historical sites, don't detect with intent of finding an historical site,declare your historical finds, don't trespass, don't sell your finds and respect local laws (but of course the rules for some countries are different, better find out first). Unfortunately, other than U.K., I don't know any country that has a clear set of rules concerning the finds, but in most cases, you can't export them. Strangely, it's much easier to buy the same items on the Ebay.

I will make an other post in a few days. Have to go through my pics and choose the better ones.

Last edited:

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally AWESOME saves, I can't even imagine finding those kind of history. The Louis XIV 1643 is unbeliveable condition and a beautiful coin. It's great your trip was productive and I am eager to see your follow ups of the other finds.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Totally AWESOME saves, I can't even imagine finding those kind of history. The Louis XIV 1643 is unbeliveable condition and a beautiful coin. It's great your trip was productive and I am eager to see your follow ups of the other finds.

Thank you Inspector. Yes, 1643 is in an amazing condition, extremely happy with it. I will make a new post in a few days.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just wondering,how deep was your 1643
Louis XIV coin?
Itโ€™s in amazing condition.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just wondering,how deep was your 1643
Louis XIV coin?
Itโ€™s in amazing condition.

It was at least at a pinpointer's depth (maybe even more), on it's side. The soil was a bit dry and sandy but no rocks or large roots. Was really lucky to hear it as it was a very faint signal. I agree, the condition is out of this world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread