A few old keepers

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
1,612
2,977
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for 2 4 hour hunts recently and nabbed a few keepers. First is an 1812 officers button from the 101st regiment. Next up is an 1815 half penny and 1779 half reale. Hopefully this isn't the end!

A little history on the 101st regiment

The regiment was raised through a letter of service to Honourable Henry Augustus Dillon in 1805. Dillon had served in the Catholic Irish Brigade from 1792 to 1798. The new regiment was recruited in Ireland, and its establishment was set at 1,000 rank and file. Dillon was granted significant patronage through the letter of service, as he was permitted to nominate the officers to the unit. The officers that Dillon nominated received a promotion for joining the unit. However, gathering the officers from their previous regiments led to some delay before it was formally incorporated as part of the British Army. The regiment was added to the British Army on 25 July 1806, and the officer appointments were announced in The London Gazette on 30 August 1806. On 8 September 1806, the regiment was given the title 101st Regiment of Foot.

Although the establishment of the regiment was set at 1,000 men, when it was added to the British Army it was set at 10 companies with 76 privates each. Like many single battalion British regiments, a recruiting company was added in 1809. Initially, the regiment was stationed in Ireland, then Jersey before being sent to Nova Scotia. After two years there it was sent to Jamaica and was quartered at Spanish Town and Stony Hill. It spent the rest of the Napoleonic Wars in Jamaica until it returned to the UK in 1816 and 1817. Four companies were landed at Portsmouth on 18 June 1816 and disbanded on 24 August 1816 at Hilsea Barracks, followed by the remaining six companies which landed on 17 December 1816 and were disbanded on 7 January 1817.
 

Attachments

  • 20211202_115710.jpg
    20211202_115710.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 20211202_115610.jpg
    20211202_115610.jpg
    988.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20211202_115638.jpg
    20211202_115638.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20211111-183927_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211111-183927_Gallery.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20211202_115610.jpg
    20211202_115610.jpg
    988.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20211202_115638.jpg
    20211202_115638.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
Upvote 28

ArfieBoy

Bronze Member
Aug 11, 2011
2,429
3,625
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the nice finds! Thanks for the background on the finds. Thanks for sharing.
 

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
1,186
3,204
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got out for 2 4 hour hunts recently and nabbed a few keepers. First is an 1812 officers button from the 101st regiment. Next up is an 1815 half penny and 1779 half reale. Hopefully this isn't the end!

A little history on the 101st regiment

The regiment was raised through a letter of service to Honourable Henry Augustus Dillon in 1805. Dillon had served in the Catholic Irish Brigade from 1792 to 1798. The new regiment was recruited in Ireland, and its establishment was set at 1,000 rank and file. Dillon was granted significant patronage through the letter of service, as he was permitted to nominate the officers to the unit. The officers that Dillon nominated received a promotion for joining the unit. However, gathering the officers from their previous regiments led to some delay before it was formally incorporated as part of the British Army. The regiment was added to the British Army on 25 July 1806, and the officer appointments were announced in The London Gazette on 30 August 1806. On 8 September 1806, the regiment was given the title 101st Regiment of Foot.

Although the establishment of the regiment was set at 1,000 men, when it was added to the British Army it was set at 10 companies with 76 privates each. Like many single battalion British regiments, a recruiting company was added in 1809. Initially, the regiment was stationed in Ireland, then Jersey before being sent to Nova Scotia. After two years there it was sent to Jamaica and was quartered at Spanish Town and Stony Hill. It spent the rest of the Napoleonic Wars in Jamaica until it returned to the UK in 1816 and 1817. Four companies were landed at Portsmouth on 18 June 1816 and disbanded on 24 August 1816 at Hilsea Barracks, followed by the remaining six companies which landed on 17 December 1816 and were disbanded on 7 January 1817.
Great information on the relics to go with an awesome hunt! Congratulations!
 

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
25,211
77,562
Detector(s) used
Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd take those finds from a December's hunt anyday. Well done!
 

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
3,478
3,597
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
2
Just when the coil gets hot old man winter is on the doorstep. Just in time for the change of seasons.
Great going on the finds, last minute finds are always welcome!
 

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
14,102
24,091
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
1
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for 2 4 hour hunts recently and nabbed a few keepers. First is an 1812 officers button from the 101st regiment. Next up is an 1815 half penny and 1779 half reale. Hopefully this isn't the end!

A little history on the 101st regiment

The regiment was raised through a letter of service to Honourable Henry Augustus Dillon in 1805. Dillon had served in the Catholic Irish Brigade from 1792 to 1798. The new regiment was recruited in Ireland, and its establishment was set at 1,000 rank and file. Dillon was granted significant patronage through the letter of service, as he was permitted to nominate the officers to the unit. The officers that Dillon nominated received a promotion for joining the unit. However, gathering the officers from their previous regiments led to some delay before it was formally incorporated as part of the British Army. The regiment was added to the British Army on 25 July 1806, and the officer appointments were announced in The London Gazette on 30 August 1806. On 8 September 1806, the regiment was given the title 101st Regiment of Foot.

Although the establishment of the regiment was set at 1,000 men, when it was added to the British Army it was set at 10 companies with 76 privates each. Like many single battalion British regiments, a recruiting company was added in 1809. Initially, the regiment was stationed in Ireland, then Jersey before being sent to Nova Scotia. After two years there it was sent to Jamaica and was quartered at Spanish Town and Stony Hill. It spent the rest of the Napoleonic Wars in Jamaica until it returned to the UK in 1816 and 1817. Four companies were landed at Portsmouth on 18 June 1816 and disbanded on 24 August 1816 at Hilsea Barracks, followed by the remaining six companies which landed on 17 December 1816 and were disbanded on 7 January 1817.
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!
 

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
3,677
6,951
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice recoveries. Nothing I love more than digging up the old stuff. Congrats and thanks for the interesting history lesson.
 

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Top