fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four of us have been hunting a 400+ acre site that was planted in cotton. The cotton has been harvested but hunting the stubble is akin to playing a pinball machine. But, I managed two and one half buttons. First was an eagle A coat size followed by a Navy cuff and today I got the front of a Union Staff Officer's button. It still had the paper spacer in it. And, it is the first button shaped like a football I have found.

Attachments

• 20220220_195125.jpg
    20220220_195125.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 50
  • staff front.jpg
    staff front.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 48
  • staff reverse.jpg
    staff reverse.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 10

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Good finds. If I am detecting a place like that, I look for low lying areas, that may be surrounded by higher ground. Sometimes, that is a lake with the high ground having a campsite. Old maps help, too.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four of us have been hunting a 400+ acre site that was planted in cotton. The cotton has been harvested but hunting the stubble is akin to playing a pinball machine. But, I managed two and one half buttons. First was an eagle A coat size followed by a Navy cuff and today I got the front of a Union Staff Officer's button. It still had the paper spacer in it. And, it is the first button shaped like a football I have found.
Nice finds for SW Ga , I still have never dug a "A" button form either side . These CW relics that have survived are hard to find these days , so GOOD JOB !!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have self driven brush hog. e a 28 inch DR Pro walk behind. It will cut up to 1 inch trees. i plan on trying this year on some spots and see if that will aid in easier detecting./
the MOUNT OF new detectoring people means us older ones need to put more effort into finding places to detect. I will keep you posted

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds for SW Ga , I still have never dug a "A" button form either side . These CW relics that have survived are hard to find these days , so GOOD JOB !!
One of my buddies also found an A button on the same hunt. And, another buddy pulled an I button and plain eagle button on the same hunt I found the Eagle front.
What gets us is how many Union buttons have came from this site. At least 17 cuff size Navy buttons have been found here. We have found Confederate buttons as well but nowhere near the number of Yankee ones. The only thing we can figure out is the plantation was Union occupied during reconstruction.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
One of my buddies also found an A button on the same hunt. And, another buddy pulled an I button and plain eagle button on the same hunt I found the Eagle front.
What gets us is how many Union buttons have came from this site. At least 17 cuff size Navy buttons have been found here. We have found Confederate buttons as well but nowhere near the number of Yankee ones. The only thing we can figure out is the plantation was Union occupied during reconstruction.
Do your research on the property in public records.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FF1, Congrat's on the buttons. Well Done. I'd love to find a button, as I haven't found one in like......forever. Federal buttons seemed to be more plentiful and more readily found which makes Confetrit' buttons a real prize when found. Still, I'll take either as they are a piece of History from the CW. Keep at it.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
3 button finds is a great day! Congratulations

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FF1, Congrat's on the buttons. Well Done. I'd love to find a button, as I haven't found one in like......forever. Federal buttons seemed to be more plentiful and more readily found which makes Confetrit' buttons a real prize when found. Still, I'll take either as they are a piece of History from the CW. Keep at it.
I know of your pain. Congratulations on your HARD WORK !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions