Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m a digger. I grid and dig all the mid tones, high tones and any combination with a mid or high tone in it. I dig a fair amount of junk, but I don’t leave much good stuff behind either (nobody gets it all). When you detect this way it takes a long time to finish a location so I just keep going back and extending the grid hoping for good stuff and taking what the ground has to offer. In these very dry conditions often the good stuff signals are more iffy and not as strong especially when they are deeper so my method works pretty well for me.

I got back out to the festival grounds for 5.0 hours swingin the old reliable CZ21 and found 54 coins with a face value of $3.06, a key, a very well toasted wheatie, a pair of cheapie earrings on the surface , tabs and the normal trash assortment. Not a great day, but a long way from skunked.

2087F550-E071-4A27-8741-E90C94BC031A.jpeg

22916A3D-DC3B-4545-AE4D-797AE344F90C.jpeg

So another day I went to a set of ball fields in a small community nearby. I have found lots of coins here and some older items as well. This area once had an 8 room log cabin built in the late 1700s so anything is possible. This hunt yielded 103 coins with a face value of $8.87, a flat button, the copper jacket from a bullet, an aluminum shaker top and a small batch of junk.

EC62C939-D36F-47F3-A139-0B34DD6A11D8.jpeg

The flat button is a plain civilian button and has RICH and on the opposite side of the shank remnant is a 6 pointed star that is made like an asterisk. There might be something else on there, but no matter how I look at it I can’t see anything. At least I got an oldie.

7DD6671D-7EEF-4A54-B3F9-0693DA9FC116.jpeg

40C9CBDE-E81F-483D-9F8B-10C18B4AB016.jpeg

I did my weekly trip to the civil war bullet school. It is getting hot again (99) and it was sunny so after about 15 minutes I was soaked with sweat. I stayed for 4.5 hours and had to take 2 water breaks to keep going, but I did have some luck.

All together I found 64 coins with a face value of $3.53, 2 civil war bullets, an aluminum kiddie ring, a key, a wheatie, a brass end off a pencil type tool and only a moderate amount of tabs and junk.

1017ECEF-174C-4B04-8B9C-2C3C244C5E65.jpeg

The bullets are nothing special, just a .58 caliber minie ball and a Williams Type III cleaner. The cleaner has the good side up, I scratched it pretty good with the trowel trying it dig out of the rock hard ground. We have been having some showers lately, but the water still has not penetrated more than a half inch so far.

BD95920B-2D56-4C2E-AA5B-5FD29D876FF0.jpeg

Because of the afternoon showers my wife and I have been walking at the mall more in the afternoon. I found 9 nickels in the coin return of one machine, a quarter in another and have found a quarter, a dimes and a penny on the floor. I did get to check the coinstar at the grocery store once and found a game token, a dime and a cob coin. Now the cob coin is one of those souvenir copies but it was a surprise to see it in the slot.

9E6C03EA-0EF6-4465-AF8C-E2259BAE7F96.jpeg

CBE063B3-76CB-41EA-9485-4207C15E3483.jpeg

I did my last hunt of the week at the other school. 5 hours of swingin produced 69 coins with a face value of $7.83 that included 2 dollar coins, part of a cable clamp, a modern brass button with the back rusted off, a cheapie pin, a small piece of a harmonica reed, 25 railroad spikes and a small batch of tabs and trash.

BEE32241-F403-456F-AE92-939E183BAC7D.jpeg

72193CBE-7B1D-40C8-A4C0-EFD4A3150993.jpeg

The dollar coins are the second and third ones since my year started May first. I have found railroad spikes here before. Somebody must have used them to stake something down a long time ago. Normally I only find 4 or 5 a day when I run into a batch, but today they were everywhere. Well more iron to recycle so it’s not a total loss.

13CA719D-BEA6-43EC-9E62-354A490CC396.jpeg

I won’t be doing much detecting this coming week. One day will be our 51st wedding anniversary and then my wife is going in for some surgery. Outpatient, nothing serious, but we are traveling out of town for the procedure and I will be home a few days while she recovers. With luck I might get out at the end of the week, but we will see.

Not a super week but not a bad one either. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 21

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m a digger. I grid and dig all the mid tones, high tones and any combination with a mid or high tone in it. I dig a fair amount of junk, but I don’t leave much good stuff behind either (nobody gets it all). When you detect this way it takes a long time to finish a location so I just keep going back and extending the grid hoping for good stuff and taking what the ground has to offer. In these very dry conditions often the good stuff signals are more iffy and not as strong especially when they are deeper so my method works pretty well for me.

I got back out to the festival grounds for 5.0 hours swingin the old reliable CZ21 and found 54 coins with a face value of $3.06, a key, a very well toasted wheatie, a pair of cheapie earrings on the surface , tabs and the normal trash assortment. Not a great day, but a long way from skunked.

View attachment 2040566

View attachment 2040567

So another day I went to a set of ball fields in a small community nearby. I have found lots of coins here and some older items as well. This area once had an 8 room log cabin built in the late 1700s so anything is possible. This hunt yielded 103 coins with a face value of $8.87, a flat button, the copper jacket from a bullet, an aluminum shaker top and a small batch of junk.

View attachment 2040568

The flat button is a plain civilian button and has RICH and on the opposite side of the shank remnant is a 6 pointed star that is made like an asterisk. There might be something else on there, but no matter how I look at it I can’t see anything. At least I got an oldie.

View attachment 2040570

View attachment 2040569

I did my weekly trip to the civil war bullet school. It is getting hot again (99) and it was sunny so after about 15 minutes I was soaked with sweat. I stayed for 4.5 hours and had to take 2 water breaks to keep going, but I did have some luck.

All together I found 64 coins with a face value of $3.53, 2 civil war bullets, an aluminum kiddie ring, a key, a wheatie, a brass end off a pencil type tool and only a moderate amount of tabs and junk.

View attachment 2040571

The bullets are nothing special, just a .58 caliber minie ball and a Williams Type III cleaner. The cleaner has the good side up, I scratched it pretty good with the trowel trying it dig out of the rock hard ground. We have been having some showers lately, but the water still has not penetrated more than a half inch so far.

View attachment 2040565

Because of the afternoon showers my wife and I have been walking at the mall more in the afternoon. I found 9 nickels in the coin return of one machine, a quarter in another and have found a quarter, a dimes and a penny on the floor. I did get to check the coinstar at the grocery store once and found a game token, a dime and a cob coin. Now the cob coin is one of those souvenir copies but it was a surprise to see it in the slot.

View attachment 2040575

View attachment 2040576

I did my last hunt of the week at the other school. 5 hours of swingin produced 69 coins with a face value of $7.83 that included 2 dollar coins, part of a cable clamp, a modern brass button with the back rusted off, a cheapie pin, a small piece of a harmonica reed, 25 railroad spikes and a small batch of tabs and trash.

View attachment 2040573

View attachment 2040572

The dollar coins are the second and third ones since my year started May first. I have found railroad spikes here before. Somebody must have used them to stake something down a long time ago. Normally I only find 4 or 5 a day when I run into a batch, but today they were everywhere. Well more iron to recycle so it’s not a total loss.

View attachment 2040574

I won’t be doing much detecting this coming week. One day will be our 51st wedding anniversary and then my wife is going in for some surgery. Outpatient, nothing serious, but we are traveling out of town for the procedure and I will be home a few days while she recovers. With luck I might get out at the end of the week, but we will see.

Not a super week but not a bad one either. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
great finds and great post. big time gratz on the anniversary and good luck on the bride's surgery

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2040566

View attachment 2040567

View attachment 2040568

View attachment 2040570

View attachment 2040569

View attachment 2040571

View attachment 2040565

View attachment 2040575

View attachment 2040576

View attachment 2040573

View attachment 2040572

View attachment 2040574

For sure not a bad week. Will add your wife to my prayer list.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2040566

View attachment 2040567

View attachment 2040568

View attachment 2040570

View attachment 2040569

View attachment 2040571

View attachment 2040565

View attachment 2040575

View attachment 2040576

View attachment 2040573

View attachment 2040572

View attachment 2040574

Very Cool!!! Have a Great Anniversary & hope the surgery goes Good!! Congrats!!!

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500

View attachment 2040566

View attachment 2040567

View attachment 2040568

View attachment 2040570

View attachment 2040569

View attachment 2040571

View attachment 2040565

View attachment 2040575

View attachment 2040576

View attachment 2040573

View attachment 2040572

View attachment 2040574

Great finds 👍😀

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on celebrating 51 years of marriage! That's amazing! I pray all goes well with your wife's surgery and she has a speedy recovery.
Congrats on all your digging finds, also. Lots of fun digging coinage.
Maybe the spikes were used in a wooden harrow frame and the wood has rotted away? :dontknow:

Wood frame, steel spike drag harrow | Abandoned farm equipme… | Flickr 1,024 × 768

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your nice finds and congrats on your 51 years married! I hope your wife has a speedy recovery!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for the nice comments and good wishes. We had a nice anniversary, just the 2 of us. My wife’s surgery went well and her recovery is on track.

Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions