May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad & I spent the morning exploring a new Pasture Field. It was ridge & furrow but had not been plough in living memory. Dad dug a Victorian plough bit, so we knew it was ploughed over 100 years ago! My best find was a 1690-1720 Buckle, so the was some hope.
After lunch we detected another adjecent pasture field that had been plough, but that seemed to have less signs than the other one. Therefore, I decided to cross over into the 'Buckle Field' for awhile. I went over the noisy productive area but as we had gridded it already, I hit it from a different angle. After about an hour I had most of the finds listed below;

Tudor Spectacle Buckle
Tudor Clothes Fastener
Saxon Brooch Piece
2 Hammered
895-915 Viking Penny - St Edmund Memorial Type;
Even though the Vikings killed the Saxon King (Edmund), he became a Christian Martyr, & the Vikings who were beginning to convert decided to venerate him on this coin!
They named a City after where he was buried - 'Bury St Edmunds'
Read More:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_the_Martyr

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 132
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Upvote 21

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds! Is that the fragmentary coin with the "+" on it? What country issued it?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! Is that the fragmentary coin with the "+" on it? What country issued it?

Yes, & it was occupied Danish East Anglia.

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
What a great piece of history that Viking coin is, and I can't recall see one posted previously. The two silver hammereds would also make my day. Congrats and thanks for posting the history on the Viking piece!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great piece of history that Viking coin is, and I can't recall see one posted previously. The two silver hammereds would also make my day. Congrats and thanks for posting the history on the Viking piece!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...y-9-updated-id-rare-coin-further-update2.html

Actually I think the only other one posted was by me in 2011. Slightly larger fragment. Viking coins are very rare & if I got 1 of any type in a year, its a good year!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AH CRUSADER THE GROUND RAIDER WHAT I HAVE YE NOW? THAT LATE 1600S BUCKLE AND COINS AND OTHER RELICS ARE NICE . WELL AS I SAY WHATS NEXT ?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow those silver coins made my day. Absolutely awesome! Congrats buddy

Steve

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some sweet and delicious hammered silver, hope you get to pull a perfect full flan example sometime soon. Good stuff!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
It's always amazing how using different techniques to search a site that's been heavily hunted always seems to produce, and makes you wonder how you missed it all. Been there, done that many, many times. And great job on the coins!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Congrats!

I would love to find a Viking coin here, but I would have a better chance of finding hens teeth!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job guys !! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always amazing how using different techniques to search a site that's been heavily hunted always seems to produce, and makes you wonder how you missed it all. Been there, done that many, many times. And great job on the coins!

I won't say heavily hunted. This is the first year on this new land & Dad & I went over it once. So that means 50% of the gridding is only the Cortes. So by me going over it again, I have a fairly good chance in high iron areas, which is where I targetted.

Plus we had rain yesterday for the first time in ages, & it was wetter than our last hunts on this land.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru, that to me is just an incredible piece of history. It's difficult to wrap your head around a coin from the Vikings. Great find man. Really loving that one

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some great history :occasion14:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing day out Cru - I love the patina on the buckle - to think that Viking coin bit was likely dropped a century before the
epic poem Beowulf was written (that's what I love about this metal detecting thing ) Cheers ! Hoisting an adult beverage
to the Cru !!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice 50cal. :laughing7:

In all seriousness Cru congrats on the penny, they sure seem to be brittle suckers, and rare as hens teeth to boot. Liking the Saxon piece and the clothing fastener also, it adds up to a great pasture hunt for sure!

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Dad & I spent the morning exploring a new Pasture Field. It was ridge & furrow but had not been plough in living memory. Dad dug a Victorian plough bit, so we knew it was ploughed over 100 years ago! My best find was a 1690-1720 Buckle, so the was some hope.
After lunch we detected another adjecent pasture field that had been plough, but that seemed to have less signs than the other one. Therefore, I decided to cross over into the 'Buckle Field' for awhile. I went over the noisy productive area but as we had gridded it already, I hit it from a different angle. After about an hour I had most of the finds listed below;

Tudor Spectacle Buckle
Tudor Clothes Fastener
Saxon Brooch Piece
2 Hammered
895-915 Viking Penny - St Edmund Memorial Type;
Even though the Vikings killed the Saxon King (Edmund), he became a Christian Martyr, & the Vikings who were beginning to convert decided to venerate him on this coin!
They named a City after where he was buried - 'Bury St Edmunds'
Read More:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_the_Martyr
Nice St Edmund Cru. That's pure history.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 50cal. :laughing7:

In all seriousness Cru congrats on the penny, they sure seem to be brittle suckers, and rare as hens teeth to boot. Liking the Saxon piece and the clothing fastener also, it adds up to a great pasture hunt for sure!

Sadly the pasture only had the 1 good buckle, the rest was from the stubble Buckle Field next door.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread