🔎 UNIDENTIFIED A friend gave me a present, Can you help me read it? {Hieroglyphs}

EVF

Oct 6, 2021
My friend gave me an ancient (I think) artifact.
It has written language, I believe it's hieroglyphs.

Who can translate it for me?

Thank you :)
photo_2021-10-06_15-36-54.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

It appears to be an Egyptian scarab seal impresser, with hieroglyphs including a hawk. Since you're querying whether or not it's actually ancient, forum rules allow me to express an opinion that it isn't. It looks like it's meant to be made from 'faience' but there are many fakes kicking around made both from faience and other materials which have a similar appearance (including resin casts). Sold in the thousands to tourists at Egyptian markets near archaeological sites. Also now ubiquitous on ebay.

I can't be 100% sure without having it in hand, but it doesn't look good to me. There's some great information at the link below (three pages) on determining authenticity:

Did your friend give you any story about where it came from?

Upvote 3
OP
OP
E

EVF

Oct 6, 2021
Thank you for your quick response and the welcome msg :)

I will look into the site that you've mentioned
Unfortunately not. He got it from another person that came from Egypt.

I agree with Red-Coat - tourist piece.

You don't mention the size. These are soapstone scarab beads. 1.5 to 2 cm tall. Bought in the 90's near Luxor:
I have exactly the same as your picture. Just with a different symbols

So, I believe it came from a souvenir shop

BTW,
One of your know what it says?

Upvote 1

INFJ'S4THEWIN

Nov 22, 2021
Welcome to Tnet.

It appears to be an Egyptian scarab seal impresser, with hieroglyphs including a hawk. Since you're querying whether or not it's actually ancient, forum rules allow me to express an opinion that it isn't. It looks like it's meant to be made from 'faience' but there are many fakes kicking around made both from faience and other materials which have a similar appearance (including resin casts). Sold in the thousands to tourists at Egyptian markets near archaeological sites. Also now ubiquitous on ebay.

I can't be 100% sure without having it in hand, but it doesn't look good to me. There's some great information at the link below (three pages) on determining authenticity:

Pasadena? Think it is actually a depiction of a bird and either wind behind him or the seasons/eliments

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread