✅ SOLVED A friend’s daughter found these, what are they?

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 94BFEE5B-790F-4DF7-ABC3-1D5B9833EEE9.jpeg
    94BFEE5B-790F-4DF7-ABC3-1D5B9833EEE9.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 125

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is Pangea? Kind of bewildering. Thanks Crash.
Best I can understand,that,s the name of the celebration. I don,t know what exactly it means other than that.I searched on yahoo under 1997 pangea-USSR-USA Frederick,Maryland.You,re welcome.Hope you find more than I did.if so let us know.:laughing7:

Upvote 1

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were found in East Nashville, eyeball finds. Have tried searching the words I’m seeing on the bottom shiny medal but coming up short. Thanks in advance.
Yes, as said, Pangea is the name given to a supposed single land mass of all of the continents, in the distant past.

Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help much here, except that the Pangaea Festival in Frederick is referenced at the link below, but it says “The first annual Pangaea Heritage Festival was another great family event in the City of Frederick” and that seems to have been 2008, whereas the medallion seems to be dated 1991.

https://sites.google.com/a/frederick.com/frederickevents/pangea

There are pictures for the festival in 2009 and 2010 but presumably it didn’t take place for a while, since it’s mentioned again at the link below in the context that “The Golden Mile Alliance is reviving Pangaea, a festival celebrating heritage and diversity, with the next celebration slated for Oct. 4, 2015

http://businessinfrederick.blogspot.com/2015/02/experience-authentic-international.html

The only other thing which sprang to mind is that Pangaea was an ancient super-continent that broke up… and the super-alliance that was the U.S.S.R broke up in 1991 when most of its member countries declared independence from the Soviet Union.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have been a great help Red- Coat thank you.Dang that bread in the pictures looks good! I will mark this as solved.

Upvote 1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to some friends from my hometown Facebook page I think this is a medallion from the Pangaea Invitational track meet held around the state of Maryland. The 1991 may or may not relate to the actual year of the event. It may relate to the fall of the USSR.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 22-37-45 Our Hagerstown Tymes Can anyone identify this medal a friend...png
    Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 22-37-45 Our Hagerstown Tymes Can anyone identify this medal a friend...png
    4 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 2

dozer dan

Jan 14, 2008
PNW
Primary Interest:
Other
What I don’t understand is this is supposed to be from 1997?
I can’t begin to imagine anything steel or iron like this made as late as 1997. Are we absolutely sure of the date? Possibly a damaged date stamp?
if my tired old eyes aren’t deceiving me, there’s only 48 stars on the American flag.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I don’t understand is this is supposed to be from 1997?
I can’t begin to imagine anything steel or iron like this made as late as 1997. Are we absolutely sure of the date? Possibly a damaged date stamp?
if my tired old eyes aren’t deceiving me, there’s only 48 stars on the American flag.
The date is 1991.

Upvote 2

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pangaea Inc. was an international exchange program for high school athletes.

From the Washington Post:

By Donald Huff
March 5, 1991

Girls City Title winner O'Connell will host an exhibition game against a team from the Soviet Union on Sunday at 2 p.m. The game is part of the goodwill exchange program sponsored by Pangaea Inc.

The organization was responsible for bringing a Soviet high school track and field team here last year to compete against a handful of schools from Montgomery County. The track meet was such a success that Pangaea expanded its exchange program to basketball.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to some friends from my hometown Facebook page I think this is a medallion from the Pangaea Invitational track meet held around the state of Maryland. The 1991 may or may not relate to the actual year of the event. It may relate to the fall of the USSR.
Thank you so much fyrffytr!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions