A gold/silver necklace, an old fire hose coupling a dollar coin and a bucket lister

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been getting warmer so I headed out. It was 30 when I got to the campus 12 miles east where it is warmer, the sun was warm and at the end of the hunt it was 54 and I was shedding layers. The ground conditions were strange. Some good digging next to small rock hard patches of ground so I gridded a section that I have gone over several times to do a final clean up of this area. Not expecting much, but you never know what was missed.

I swung the CZ21 for 4 hours and found 26 coins with a face value of $2.64 (a coin spill with 4 quarters and another with 3 quarters and a dime really upped the value for the day), a small child’s cheap ring, a finger lift for an old window sash, a zipper, a fire hose end, tabs, slaw and foil oh my.

891AE355-28D3-4EDF-A99B-45D665D9321E.jpeg

The spills were new, one on top of the ground just under the grass and the other with a thin layer of dirt on top of the coins. The brass hose end was a surprise and a mystery at first. It was 18 inches down in some clay heavy soil and I was sure I was digging up an aluminum can. When I pulled it out I was not sure what it was all caked with soil, but cleaned up it was easy to tell it was a hose end. It is a smaller diameter hose (1.5 inches ID) and has the turn knobs used to tighten the hose connection. This is the right size for older hoses, but they still make them that size today. This one has a nice layer for green crust on it and the new hoses I looked at had a coupling with different type grips for tightening which leads me to believe it is an older hose. The pipe part that goes into the hose turns freely as it should for this type hose. It is a very different sort of find. I’ve found many garden hose ends and nozzles, but nothing like this one. I like it, but I will probably recycle it.

3560406E-9C12-4EA7-A642-B16CA33E1C38.jpeg

The weather is staying warm during the day and slightly below freezing at night so I gave it a day off to thaw more and went back to campus. Still some frozen spots, but overall better digging.

I spent 4.5 hours extending my grid area and found 36 coins with a face value of $2.85, a necklace, a 1942 wheatie, a key, a few tabs, foil and can slaw. Not a lot of targets in this area but enough to keep the old man going.

8EEBBA12-D73E-449A-ACB5-34298C6FB08C.jpeg

The necklace was a nice surprise. The signal was weak and hard to get a fix on the exact location. It sounded like a foil or small copper or brass item deep. I got a fix on it and cut a wide deep plug (but not wide enough). I located a small piece of gold colored chain in the side wall about 1.5 inches down. It looked like a fresh break so I knew there was more. I located 2 more larger pieces. The clasp and ID tag were in the center of the plug so that is what I was picking up. The Excalibur or the ATPro would have picked it up better than the CZ, but old faithful did find it. It is a nice chain, smooth on one side and diamond cut on the other. Made in Italy out of silver with a 2/25 layer of 14k gold so it looks like gold, but is actually silver. But I chopped the darn thing into 3 pieces.:BangHead:. The best find so far in 2022 and I had to cut right through it :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:. In the last picture I laid the chain out the way it would have been when I dug my plug and the edge of the grid lines is where my shovel cut the plug (and the chain).

8EA9B079-7F07-4A9E-BAC9-93C3C57FAE71.jpeg

E8F54291-AFA8-4EED-9255-84A3EBB425E7.jpeg

I took another trip to the civil war school and did some more swingin. I extended the grid on the field where I found the first bullets and the man’s diamond ring. In 5 hours I found 50 coins with a face value of $3.27 (thanks to a 5 quarter spill as I was leaving), 3 older keys from the same hole, a J hook, a 1937 wheatie, a game tab, a pile of other tabs, some can slaw, a whole aluminum can, and miscellaneous junk.

F5DE51D6-C9A0-4019-B48B-A80E781B3C7A.jpeg

I have found over a thousand civil war bullets in my almost 20 years of detecting, but never a J hook. So scratch another one off the bucket list. This site is not producing a lot of civil war stuff, but it has given me 2 firsts, the knapsack hook and the J hook. Who knows what will be next. I’ll keep swingin and we will see.

9969DC08-14D6-465F-82B0-FF4C81A75CB5.jpeg

The weather got cold again and it snowed, in the teens at home and high 20s to the east. It is supposed to get even colder over the next couple of days so I went back to the school for another hunt. I went to the spot in front of the school to start a grid where I found a couple of bullets close to the building. There was a light dusting of snow, but nothing to interfere with the hunting.

I spent 4 hours gridding a section and found 82 coins with a face value of $5.24, 2 cheapie rings, a claw pendant (probably plastic), a Sacajawea dollar, a fancy brass something, tabs, foil and a pile of pencil ends (the metal part that holds the eraser on a wooden pencil). The pencil ends are one thing I could do without. You find lots of them at schools and they sound too good to pass up. They can be as big a pain as can tabs.

BC8F15E3-75F9-4FA6-B36C-8AFAEA6701F2.jpeg

The brass thingy has a slot for a strap or cord and 2 holes. No markings and I’m not sure if it was an ornament or jewelry. My best guess is some kind of hanging ornament.

533E6EB5-D9AA-45BC-9FD6-99B81331F87C.jpeg

79791E4A-FCC0-4963-832B-62EE2B87B03A.jpeg

So a good week overall. Decent clad for gas money, 3 rings, some interesting finds (especially the hose coupling), a little silver bling and another civil war bucket lister. Hopefully the cold snap won’t last too long so the ground doesn’t get too hard (even though it snowed last night and is still snowing grrrrrrrr) and I can get out again. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 7

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the j-hook! Your hard work and perseverance deserved to be rewarded!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been getting warmer so I headed out. It was 30 when I got to the campus 12 miles east where it is warmer, the sun was warm and at the end of the hunt it was 54 and I was shedding layers. The ground conditions were strange. Some good digging next to small rock hard patches of ground so I gridded a section that I have gone over several times to do a final clean up of this area. Not expecting much, but you never know what was missed.

I swung the CZ21 for 4 hours and found 26 coins with a face value of $2.64 (a coin spill with 4 quarters and another with 3 quarters and a dime really upped the value for the day), a small child’s cheap ring, a finger lift for an old window sash, a zipper, a fire hose end, tabs, slaw and foil oh my.

View attachment 2010197

The spills were new, one on top of the ground just under the grass and the other with a thin layer of dirt on top of the coins. The brass hose end was a surprise and a mystery at first. It was 18 inches down in some clay heavy soil and I was sure I was digging up an aluminum can. When I pulled it out I was not sure what it was all caked with soil, but cleaned up it was easy to tell it was a hose end. It is a smaller diameter hose (1.5 inches ID) and has the turn knobs used to tighten the hose connection. This is the right size for older hoses, but they still make them that size today. This one has a nice layer for green crust on it and the new hoses I looked at had a coupling with different type grips for tightening which leads me to believe it is an older hose. The pipe part that goes into the hose turns freely as it should for this type hose. It is a very different sort of find. I’ve found many garden hose ends and nozzles, but nothing like this one. I like it, but I will probably recycle it.

View attachment 2010196

The weather is staying warm during the day and slightly below freezing at night so I gave it a day off to thaw more and went back to campus. Still some frozen spots, but overall better digging.

I spent 4.5 hours extending my grid area and found 36 coins with a face value of $2.85, a necklace, a 1942 wheatie, a key, a few tabs, foil and can slaw. Not a lot of targets in this area but enough to keep the old man going.

View attachment 2010198

The necklace was a nice surprise. The signal was weak and hard to get a fix on the exact location. It sounded like a foil or small copper or brass item deep. I got a fix on it and cut a wide deep plug (but not wide enough). I located a small piece of gold colored chain in the side wall about 1.5 inches down. It looked like a fresh break so I knew there was more. I located 2 more larger pieces. The clasp and ID tag were in the center of the plug so that is what I was picking up. The Excalibur or the ATPro would have picked it up better than the CZ, but old faithful did find it. It is a nice chain, smooth on one side and diamond cut on the other. Made in Italy out of silver with a 2/25 layer of 14k gold so it looks like gold, but is actually silver. But I chopped the darn thing into 3 pieces.:BangHead:. The best find so far in 2022 and I had to cut right through it :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:. In the last picture I laid the chain out the way it would have been when I dug my plug and the edge of the grid lines is where my shovel cut the plug (and the chain).

View attachment 2010199

View attachment 2010200

I took another trip to the civil war school and did some more swingin. I extended the grid on the field where I found the first bullets and the man’s diamond ring. In 5 hours I found 50 coins with a face value of $3.27 (thanks to a 5 quarter spill as I was leaving), 3 older keys from the same hole, a J hook, a 1937 wheatie, a game tab, a pile of other tabs, some can slaw, a whole aluminum can, and miscellaneous junk.

View attachment 2010201

I have found over a thousand civil war bullets in my almost 20 years of detecting, but never a J hook. So scratch another one off the bucket list. This site is not producing a lot of civil war stuff, but it has given me 2 firsts, the knapsack hook and the J hook. Who knows what will be next. I’ll keep swingin and we will see.

View attachment 2010202

The weather got cold again and it snowed, in the teens at home and high 20s to the east. It is supposed to get even colder over the next couple of days so I went back to the school for another hunt. I went to the spot in front of the school to start a grid where I found a couple of bullets close to the building. There was a light dusting of snow, but nothing to interfere with the hunting.

I spent 4 hours gridding a section and found 82 coins with a face value of $5.24, 2 cheapie rings, a claw pendant (probably plastic), a Sacajawea dollar, a fancy brass something, tabs, foil and a pile of pencil ends (the metal part that holds the eraser on a wooden pencil). The pencil ends are one thing I could do without. You find lots of them at schools and they sound too good to pass up. They can be as big a pain as can tabs.

View attachment 2010203

The brass thingy has a slot for a strap or cord and 2 holes. No markings and I’m not sure if it was an ornament or jewelry. My best guess is some kind of hanging ornament.

View attachment 2010204

View attachment 2010205

So a good week overall. Decent clad for gas money, 3 rings, some interesting finds (especially the hose coupling), a little silver bling and another civil war bucket lister. Hopefully the cold snap won’t last too long so the ground doesn’t get too hard (even though it snowed last night and is still snowing grrrrrrrr) and I can get out again. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread