πŸ₯‡ BANNER A GREAT DAY WITH MY SON AND A LITTLE GOLD!!!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we have had months and months of rain out our way and most places are wet and muddy! :BangHead:

Today, we had a beautiful day with 60 degree weather. The doggies have been inside as have we so it was time to get out and do some swinging. We hit one of our favorite sites just to get out. Started out just walking the old ghost town when the son said he wanted to try digging out some of the old Depot area of the tracks. The depot was built next to the old NCO rail line in 1891.

Not wanting to dig, I walked around while he dug and dug and dug. Feeling bad I decided to walk next to him and see how he was doing. He had found an old metal box buried in the middle of where the old platform sat around the depot. He found a coin in the dirt and so I thought I had better dig out some of the wall areas as well.

With our dogs helping dig and after moving some good size rocks that had been part of the foundation; I get a repeatable signal. Dig out a little more and there she was. I run off yelling like a little school girl as my son picks up the gold disk and calls me every name in the book. Turned out to a nice looking (except for the rust and crust) 1886-S $5 gold piece. (After hitting this place for over ten years, there's always something left:laughing7:)

After having a couple of beers and sitting in the dirt. I help the son dig out and scan his piles of dirt for him. He dug out an old 5 cent trade token in good shape. Not feeling to bad for him since he did find a 1915-S Barber Half the other day here lying on the ground in the old barn in the same area.

Anyway......finally out and about again so this was a nice start to the year!!!!

amedee d1.jpg digging in the old depot area

amedeed2.jpg my helpers!

amedeed3.jpg

amedeed4.jpg

amedeed5.jpg

amedeed6.jpg

amedeed7.jpg

Upvote 113
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Great story. Great pix. Great find. Thanx for sharing ! Congratz.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the BANNER gold coin from the Ghost Town! :notworthy:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not seen you in a little while. Glad to see that you are back.

Holy moly... a GOLD COIN.

Congrats on finding the holy grail of MDing!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic coin! Super Finds!
Yep, you never really clean up all the goodies - there's always tomorrow, with the "left-overs"...!

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not seen you in a little while. Glad to see that you are back.

Holy moly... a GOLD COIN.

Congrats on finding the holy grail of MDing!

Ya......We have been off the radar with all the weather issues up our way. Flooding three different times this last winter and snow really hampered our outings!!! Thank you again!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Great Gold! Makes for a nice trip and your son had the right area, he just needed you to "zero in" on the gold. Bet this leads to more trips there for more searchs for others like this. Banner for sure.

Magooru

Aug 13, 2013
Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett GTI 2000 (sold), White's XLT(sold), Garrett AT Pro, Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible finds!!!!!!!! Congrats.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet score Basque-man. :headbang: Welcome to the Banner club. :occasion14: You don't post as often as you used to, but when you do, wow, simply wow. Congrats on the gold piece and a well deserved banner may friend.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on a BANNER. I voted but I never tell till after a person gets it so they don't get disappointed if it never materializes. Glad you snagged one

SOSDIVING

Apr 2, 2014
Wake Forest, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter PI
White's Surfmaster II VLF
Tesoro Bandido II VLF
Tesoro Cibola VLF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lady Liberty with flowing hair in the 4th picture, never seen that hairstyle!!!!!!!!! WOW, what a great artifact from our great country, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! to you and your son.

Last edited:

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the school girl happy dance, knee wobbling find. I cast my banner vote also.

Don

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet score Basque-man. :headbang: Welcome to the Banner club. :occasion14: You don't post as often as you used to, but when you do, wow, simply wow. Congrats on the gold piece and a well deserved banner may friend.

Thank you so much sir. We have had terrible weather all winter and work has "SUCKED" the last few months for a lack of a better term. Things the past few weeks have loosened up and the weather has been wonderful! The best part is with all the rain we had over the past four months has really "moved" a lot of dirt, so were hoping to make some more finds!!! Thanks again Loco!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, we have had months and months of rain out our way and most places are wet and muddy! :BangHead:

Today, we had a beautiful day with 60 degree weather. The doggies have been inside as have we so it was time to get out and do some swinging. We hit one of our favorite sites just to get out. Started out just walking the old ghost town when the son said he wanted to try digging out some of the old Depot area of the tracks. The depot was built next to the old NCO rail line in 1891.

Not wanting to dig, I walked around while he dug and dug and dug. Feeling bad I decided to walk next to him and see how he was doing. He had found an old metal box buried in the middle of where the old platform sat around the depot. He found a coin in the dirt and so I thought I had better dig out some of the wall areas as well.

With our dogs helping dig and after moving some good size rocks that had been part of the foundation; I get a repeatable signal. Dig out a little more and there she was. I run off yelling like a little school girl as my son picks up the gold disk and calls me every name in the book. Turned out to a nice looking (except for the rust and crust) 1886-S $5 gold piece. (After hitting this place for over ten years, there's always something left:laughing7:)

After having a couple of beers and sitting in the dirt. I help the son dig out and scan his piles of dirt for him. He dug out an old 5 cent trade token in good shape. Not feeling to bad for him since he did find a 1915-S Barber Half the other day here lying on the ground in the old barn in the same area.

Anyway......finally out and about again so this was a nice start to the year!!!!

digging in the old depot area

my helpers!

Sweet story and nice finds! Way to get 'er done!!

All the best,

Lanny

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful find, and a great story. The hunt site looks wonderful too, and dogs are the best damn companions anybody could want.

You are a champion of the hobby!

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful find, and a great story. The hunt site looks wonderful too, and dogs are the best damn companions anybody could want.

You are a champion of the hobby!

Thank you so much......I'm just stoked my son is now addicted to the hobby as well. Sad thing is he is off to college this fall:sadsmiley:

At least he is only 80 miles away and has strict instructions to find new places for us to metal detect in Nevada!:laughing7:

Out doggies love to go and we take them as much as we can. Its nice to have some decent weather for a chance.

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
great find , i have some of those but i did not dig em up . congratulations

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bucket list coin, no doubt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread