Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey maps.... maybe you mentioned this earlier(not checking 160 posts) .. are those carvings on the flat rock in the 3rd video? Is there an old quarry nearby? As you know, there are capped outflows from the older sites, I'm sure you have ruled this out. If you are in Weymouth,/ Quincy,/ Dedham area there are several of these...good luck, and GO PATS!

Eirene

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have a chance to get out there for a few minutes today, I'll get a better look at the cap.

Any suggestions on how to avoid breaking it? I believe it is made of cement, and if it broke it would leave a dangerous situation for animals or people if someone found the mound.

“So what he supposed to do? Grab Bobbie's ax and make like Jack Nicholson in The Shinning? He could see it..... Smash....crash...bash - Heeeeeere's GARDENER!”
===========
Interesting read...right away at the start of the thread when you described the mound...I thought... 'Tommyknockers'. Be extremely careful.

“Late last night and the night before, Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers knocking on my door. I wanna go out, don't know if I can 'cuz I'm so afraid of the Tommyknocker Man.” Stephen King, The Tommyknockers

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that you have found yourself an old cistern. But, it could be full of good old bottles. JMO The ones we have around here are about twenty feet deep so be careful and good luck. BTW, Great thread to follow.:icon_thumleft:

And huge spiders the size of your face!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take Indiana Jones with you. I hear that guy kicks some serious a$$ in situations like these.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey maps.... maybe you mentioned this earlier(not checking 160 posts) .. are those carvings on the flat rock in the 3rd video? Is there an old quarry nearby? As you know, there are capped outflows from the older sites, I'm sure you have ruled this out. If you are in Weymouth,/ Quincy,/ Dedham area there are several of these...good luck, and GO PATS!

Not sure what those marks are, but they are made in the cement. One looks like a paw and another is a perfectly round circle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out there again on Friday. It's a half hour hike each way and I usually don't have much time.

I wedged up the lid a couple inches and placed a rock in there to hold up the lid.

Then I tried to take some video with my camera, hoping to see down into the thing.

The vid is below. I really need to slide the lid over if I want to see into the mound.

Here's the weird thing. As I was trying to see under the lid I heard a banging sound and a groan sound come from inside the mound.

Creeped me out and I left!

But then over night I worried about leaving the gap open between the lid and the base, thinking an animal could fall in (or something could come out!).

I went back Saturday morning and removed the rock so the lid would be closed.

Last edited:

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe you should call Scott Wolter of America unearthed, maybe he can help you with the lid and what's it all about, and shoot more videos giving us a better view inside as well?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out there again on Friday. It's a half hour hike each way and I usually don't have much time. I wedged up the lid a couple inches and placed a rock in there to hold up the lid. Then I tried to take some video with my camera, hoping to see down into the thing. The vid is below. I really need to slide the lid over if I want to see into the mound. Here's the weird thing. As I was trying to see under the lid I heard a banging sound and a groan sound come from inside the mound. Creeped me out and I left! But then over night I worried about leaving the gap open between the lid and the base, thinking an animal could fall in (or something could come out!). I went back Saturday morning and removed the rock so the lid would be closed. YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eost9j5Y8gs
Tell Hoffa to quiet down in there. You'll get him put in the spring. :/) On a more serious note this is really interesting and it would be great if you could get a quality probe to stick in that crack to maybe get some quality video. But like me, I'm sure you don't have one in your junk drawer so whatever course of action you take I wish you luck and be safe my friend! Curiosity can make us do foolish things

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I've read much of this thread's fascinating posts, but not yet the videos. I advise you now that the cap can be propped slightly open, to always take another strong guy along, both to help with the work and also for the slight chance that you may get a hand or foot caught tight during one of your future forays out there! Or other possible unplanned mishap where a second person could save your life right there or by going for help. That said, have fun! If there's any spiritual beings inside or nearby, you've already shown plenty of respect for your site, so they'll not mind your further investigations - imo. Looking forward to further posts! Andi

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
More than likely, it is a cistern used to water the orchard. Paul
This is what I'm thinking as well. The "cap" was likely set over the hole using a tractor. Possibly the section of railroad track was for them to wrap a chain around. If you do remove the cover and find that's what it is please replace it when your done so nobody can fall in. I'm betting you're not going to find much.

banderOH

Greenie
Jul 19, 2011
Hartville,OH
Detector(s) used
Ace250, BH
Are you afraid to open it? Just wondering....I think the majority of the people on this forum would have had it open by now. Do you need someone to go with you?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a friend and open using all the safety precautions mentioned before. Banging sounds may have a simple explanation but moaning????? At least you'll have help to put cap back into place and to get help if something bad did happen. Take camera, ball of string w/weight, friend and finish project.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you afraid to open it? Just wondering....I think the majority of the people on this forum would have had it open by now. Do you need someone to go with you?

We just got another 1/2 foot of snow, plus more snow tomorrow, so I don't know when I'll be going out there again.
I'm not afraid to open it, but I'm leery of a few things:

- I break the cap and leave a dangerous hole for people and animals
- I get too curious and drop my camera (phone) down the hole and then try to retrieve it
- stuff like that.

I've mentioned it to a couple friends and I'll have no problem getting someone to help me move the cap.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a friend and open using all the safety precautions mentioned before. Banging sounds may have a simple explanation but moaning????? At least you'll have help to put cap back into place and to get help if something bad did happen. Take camera, ball of string w/weight, friend and finish project.
Great advise as always, Limit!

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... If there's any spiritual beings inside or nearby, you've already shown plenty of respect for your site, so they'll not mind your further investigations ...i

I actually do believe in this kind of stuff, fyi.
I've found a lot of ancient things in these woods. This mound is probably a lot younger.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maps.... Just watched video. How about this idea maybe? Cut some 2x4 blocks maybe 3"-4" long or better yet 4x4 blocks (16-20 pcs). Throw them into bag and carry back. Now you don't have to move cap off of mound. Just bring long crowbar or lever and "walk" cap upward and place blocks under it until it's high enough to easily view within. Then reverse process to close. But I now highly advise you to take someone else along. You obviously don't know what is supporting the "roof" on this thing nor does anyone else at this time. And tying a short rope on yourself or both of you might sound silly but you need to be safe and not sorry. Tie some knots into short rope also every foot or so.

Sounds you heard could be echo's from your efforts and/or debris dropping within....????

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread