A little more beach silver, including a first for me

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got in about 2 1/2 hours at my favorite beach this morning and I was initially dismayed at how sanded-in it has become. I scouted for any low spots or cuts, and found one small area. Fortunately it had plenty of targets, so there was more than enough digging to do.

Most of the targets were coins from the 1970's through the 1990's, as well as usual batch of fishing weights. I did, however, find a bit of silver. As usual, it was all very toasted, and took a bit of electrolysis to clean up.

Here are all of the day's finds:
All Finds.jpg

I found one dime, which just barely qualified as silver! (A 1964 Roosevelt.)
1964 Dime Obverse Pre-cleaning.jpg 1964 Dime Reverse Pre-cleaning.jpg
1964 Dime Obverse Post-cleaning.jpg 1964 Dime Reverse Post-cleaning.jpg

I found a neat little silver ring marked .925 in the band. There was a maker's mark as well, but I couldn't quite make it out. It doesn't show well in the picture below, but there are several tiny sparkly stones adorning the top of the ring.
Silver Ring Side View Pre-cleaning.jpg Silver Ring Top View Pre-cleaning.jpg
Silver Ring Side View Post-cleaning.jpg Silver Ring Top View Post-cleaning.jpg

My favorite find of the day, though, was a silver half dollar. It was so toasted that I didn't know what type it was until after electrolysis. It was a 1944 Walking Liberty Half! (This is my first!!!) I know the sea wasn't kind to her, but she's still beautiful to me!
1944 Half Dollar Obverse Pre-cleaning.jpg 1944 Half Dollar Reverse Pre-cleaning.jpg
1944 Half Dollar Obverse Post-cleaning.jpg 1944 Half Dollar Reverse Post-cleaning.jpg

Thanks, as always, for taking time to look at my post. I know it doesn't compare to the some of the incredible coins and relics the rest of you have been posting recently, but it was fun to get out again and I just felt like sharing my happy surprise. May your next hunt bring you joy!

Upvote 16

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok cool silver and living it up on the beach toss in a margaritta and thats pradise my friend Good job and nice finds. Tommy

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cleaning job. I never get much on the beach. I good day in my book...

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Tommy!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the finds and weathered look! :occasion14:

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt with quite a spread of finds, very nice on the ring & half & Eisenhower. Congratulations on all the saves & HH

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt with quite a spread of finds, very nice on the ring & half & Eisenhower. Congratulations on all the saves & HH

Thanks! I really appreciate that!

bobby5

Jun 19, 2012
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Garrett Carrot, Several Older Garrett Detectors and a Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take a walker on any giving day. HH

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you got a walker! She's been in the water for a long time! Congrats on saving her! :icon_thumleft:

BlueVW

Jan 17, 2015
Cabot, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
White Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An idea on why your silver turned to a reddish color. Most beach found silver I see on here are blackish.

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An idea on why your silver turned to a reddish color. Most beach found silver I see on here are blackish.

I think that's just a combination of the lighting and the red cloth background for the photos I took. The Roosevelt and the ring both came out black right off. The half dollar actually came out of the ground off-white, but quickly turned black once exposed to the air.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Sweet find on the Walker! I’ve only found 2 and I’d argue they are maybe the most beautiful coin coming out of the ground. Ugly Barbers, Bens and Kennedys don’t compare. Never found a seated so I wouldn’t know 🤷🏼*♂️

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread