A little more silver from The Giving Beach

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to my favorite beach, but the initial hunting conditions were awful. The waves were crashing into the shore and a rainstorm kept me from hunting for most of the falling tide. My first hour of hunting (before the rainstorm) produced only a fishing weight and two pull tabs. After the rain, I decided to try once again, and I'm glad I did. Although I didn't get anything to write home about, I did manage to find a couple of dateless wheat pennies and two pieces of silver - a 1957 USA quarter and a small ring marked "STERLING". (That was all that was written inside the band - there was no hallmark.) It wasn't my best day, by far, but I still came home with silver, which cleaned up well enough! Happy Hunting and good luck to all of you!

All Finds.jpg

1957 Quarter Obverse Pre-Cleaning.jpg
1957 Quarter Obverse Post-Cleaning.jpg

Silver Ring Pre-Cleaning.jpg
Silver Ring Post-Cleaning.jpg

Upvote 14

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet!!

Kace

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! :icon_thumleft: I like that ring, very cool.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice silver

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to my favorite beach, but the initial hunting conditions were awful. The waves were crashing into the shore and a rainstorm kept me from hunting for most of the falling tide. My first hour of hunting (before the rainstorm) produced only a fishing weight and two pull tabs. After the rain, I decided to try once again, and I'm glad I did. Although I didn't get anything to write home about, I did manage to find a couple of dateless wheat pennies and two pieces of silver - a 1957 USA quarter and a small ring marked "STERLING". (That was all that was written inside the band - there was no hallmark.) It wasn't my best day, by far, but I still came home with silver, which cleaned up well enough! Happy Hunting and good luck to all of you!

View attachment 1640444

View attachment 1640446
View attachment 1640447

View attachment 1640448
View attachment 1640449

Nice finds, not a bad day. I've had plenty of days finding nothing! Hey I'm very curious what method you used to clean the quarter? I have a merc and a seated dime that have that same gray oxidation and I was wondering if it would be possible to clean them without completely destroying them.

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, not a bad day. I've had plenty of days finding nothing! Hey I'm very curious what method you used to clean the quarter? I have a merc and a seated dime that have that same gray oxidation and I was wondering if it would be possible to clean them without completely destroying them.

I use a method I found posted by TNet member Buckleboy in the Cleaning and Preservation forum. Here's a direct link: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/442189-how-clean-blackened-silver-coins.html. Saltwater is particularly harsh on silver coins, so they sometimes come out a little pitted. I've found this method to be my favorite, though, as other methods I've tried before discovering Buckleboy's post really wiped away some detail.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's a great day.Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread