traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No telling how old those were,may have been little when DeSoto came through! Never even thought about killing or catching one.
How do you know a DeSoto camr through there? Sure some cars did. But a DeSoto? You can see things that happened@ you must be psychotic.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how they can leave marks on a stick.
Long leather gloves and no hugs. Darn that one that pissed on my shoe.🤣
Just helping it off the road, that's gratitude for ya.
Very nice thanks again for sharing
it’s a special moment to stop your car when there’s no traffic and help one across the road

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was surprised to see that snapping turtles lived in the small creeks where I live here on the Colorado front range.
They,re hardy creatures.They can stand a wide range of temperature and burrow into the mud to escape freezing.I,ve seen some pretty big ones easing along the bottom of irrigation ditches,back when we had ditches.All underground pipe now.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have this signage along the road leading to the house
201125_080348_75.jpeg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No telling how old those were,may have been little when DeSoto came through! Never even thought about killing or catching one.
My grandpa would eat snapping turtle, but he was born in 1892 and lived during the great depression. He lived in Burlington Iowa along the Mississippi and I guess it was a resource that got him and his family through those lean times.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandpa would eat snapping turtle, but he was born in 1892 and lived during the great depression. He lived in Burlington Iowa along the Mississippi and I guess it was a resource that got him and his family through those lean times.
Many of the old timers in the river and bayou country here ate them.For the same reason,got them thru the Depression.They,re all gone now,so nobody bothers the Turtles much since the Game and Fish put them on the no shoot list.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of the old timers in the river and bayou country here ate them.For the same reason,got them thru the Depression.They,re all gone now,so nobody bothers the Turtles much since the Game and Fish put them on the no shoot list.
When I was a kid I asked how he would catch them. He said the way the Indian did. He would bait a small dead fish just off the bank of the river in maybe a couple feet of water. Then he'd wait for that turtle's head to stretch out in the muddy bottom to take a bite out of the bait and thump it in the head by end of a big wooden pole stick. He said they were pretty good tasting

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I asked how he would catch them. He said the way the Indian did. He would bait a small dead fish just off the bank of the river in maybe a couple feet of water. Then he'd wait for that turtle's head to stretch out in the muddy bottom to take a bite out of the bait and thump it in the head by end of a big wooden pole stick. He said they were pretty good tasting
Old timers here used nets or traps made from screen wire.They all said it was pretty good eating too,I can,t vouch for that since I never tried it!:laughing7:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by a small pond to fish awhile back using live bait.
The pole started to bend and bend and I started reeling in and saw this huge snapper.it’s shell appeared to be close to one foot high and I had to cut the line

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old timers here used nets or traps made from screen wire.They all said it was pretty good eating too,I can,t vouch for that since I never tried it!:laughing7:
I met a guy years ago when I was in the mountains of NC that used to catch them by hand. He would walk along the bank with a pole feeling for them. When he felt the shell of on he would pin it with the pole. Then he slid his hand down the pole to the turtles shell. he then felt which way the bumps on the shell were pointing and would grab those suckers by the tail and pull em up. He was missing a finger though....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread