A morning at an old WW2 airfield

ww2digger

Aug 27, 2008
Hey all

Spent a morning at an old WW2 airfield here in rainy old England.

Found lots of relics, most of which are hunks of this that and the other. However, i did find a number of interesting artifacts.

To begin with.....A bomb pistol (or time delay fuse). I found it behind a revetment at the same depth as other stuff i know is ww2 era. The double 'prong' thing inside still works and withdraws a screw thread from the inside of the narrower piece. You have to turn it until it is almost completely out of the larger end before the screw thread disengages. An exciting find !

KCobj1.jpg

KCobj2.jpg

KCobj3.jpg

Next is an unfired but badly damaged 50 calibre. Stamp on the base is TW 4 ( Twin Cities Ordnance Plant, Minneapolis, MN, 1944)

KC50cal1.jpg

KC50cal2.jpg

Then i found a 20mm casing, also badly damaged, also next to a revetment. Possible jam in the firing mechanism cleared out during repairs ? Markings are .... NESCO 1942 M21A1 20mm ( "National Enameling & Stamping Co.", Milwaukee [WI]. They manufactured 20mm Hispano rimless brass shell cases [20X110] between 1942-45 and 1951-54 using "NESCO" as a maker's mark

KC20mm.jpg

KC20mm2.jpg

And lastly something i have never found before so i was rather excited. Took a bit of cleaning as it was badly corroded but i believe it is a Kidney plate off a 1000lb bomb ! Good job it wasn't attached to the bomb itself ! Trouble is, it is dated 53/54 so not from WW2 :( :( Shame ........ but a good find none-the-less!

KCbombplate1.jpg

KCbombplate2.jpg

Hope you like them !

Relichunter

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Congrats on the finds!!! :thumbsup:

You are one lucky hunter to have sites like that to work. I'd love to just be able to walk around there and breathe in the history. Are any of the buildings still standing? A pic or two of the place would be appreciated, if possible....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions