A once nice Silver pocket watch. padlock, interesting eagle buttons and 1826 British penny.

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More recent finds here on the Cape. To bad the pocket watch was smashed. Has lots of fancy writing on the back. Sterling Silver, weight little over a 1 oz though! Hail Columbia medal or button? Still has it's clip that goes on the back vertically. I am guessing this small eagle and shield button could be military or campaign related? Gold leaf under all the dirt. Surprise to me was this nice King George IV undraped penny. Condition and patina is wonderful. Round decorative brass item with a hole must be tack related. Back of a plain tombac button was much more fancy than usual with gold gilding, front is no Gold and boring. Brass Padlock is cool, not sure of it's age. Nothing written anywhere on front or back. Have not found anything like it on line. Somebody might know? I pulled this large copper finial out of the ground and thought thought it was hose spray nozzle. Have no idea what it was for.

Attachments

• 12  16 21.jpg
    12 16 21.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 324
  • watch back.jpg
    watch back.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 269
  • hail columbia pin.jpg
    hail columbia pin.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 267
  • eagle  button 3.jpg
    eagle button 3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 1826 a.JPG
    1826 a.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 1826 b.JPG
    1826 b.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 198
  • tack.JPG
    tack.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 170
  • button back a.jpg
    button back a.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 211
Upvote 35
OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cape Hunter, Congrat's on some very nice Saves. The silver pocket watch, the padlock, and the button, are all very nice. Early Christmas present. Well Done.
Thanks devidog! Rang at the very top end of my Equinox 800. Thought for sure it was going to be a silver dollar. But just as happy.

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
More recent finds here on the Cape. To bad the pocket watch was smashed. Has lots of fancy writing on the back. Sterling Silver, weight little over a 1 oz though! Hail Columbia medal or button? Still has it's clip that goes on the back vertically. I am guessing this small eagle and shield button could be military or campaign related? Gold leaf under all the dirt. Surprise to me was this nice King George IV undraped penny. Condition and patina is wonderful. Round decorative brass item with a hole must be tack related. Back of a plain tombac button was much more fancy than usual with gold gilding, front is no Gold and boring. Brass Padlock is cool, not sure of it's age. Nothing written anywhere on front or back. Have not found anything like it on line. Somebody might know? I pulled this large copper finial out of the ground and thought thought it was hose spray nozzle. Have no idea what it was for.
Nice finds my friend. Everyone of those finds are fantastic!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job!
Those are Premium Finds...! :icon_thumright:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great variety of quality finds.
I can't make out the maker's name/first line on the watch case?

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your button appears to be an 1803-1812 US officials diplomatic service button. Very cool find!
Thank you!
Looks to be the exact button on this very helpful GW button site: https://www.georgewashingtoninaugur...federal-officialdiplomatic-service-army-navy/

How a rare button like that ended up in the middle of the woods is a interesting mystery. It's only a minute walk on the same woodland path to the spot I found the British Royal Marine button a few days earlier. Both 1812 War era items in a pretty remote area. In 1814 British troops did make raids on Orleans which is close to where I found these buttons. Wonder if that had anything to do with them being there? I would have guessed that some of the cape local militia might have responded. I will keep hunting the area, it's pretty large.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The main company is listed in the database-though the "Gris" isn't included.

Looks like it pre-dates or is the Swiss made version.

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds neighbor! Our sandy soil tends to be nice to copper coins, and yours are a perfect example- incredible condition- Congrats!
Thank Jeff! Yes, soil here has been kinder to coins I find. The Hibernia I found recently looked like it was just dropped the other day.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great saves and love that silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread