A proper device for coin shooting??

ARROW1

Greenie
Jul 29, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife bought me a cheap detector (Bounty Hunter Tracker PRO) to shoot coins with. Yes, it can detect a quarter at 6" deep but 99.99% of the targets it finds are false (beep, beep, beep, beep.... nothing there. And every 5th target is a silver dollar or a 50cent piece. Hundreds of targets in only one hour (beep, beep, beep) yielding nothing. Yes I put it in "coin mode" discriminating everything but silver coin. Found nothing in the course of a week but did a whole lot of digging. The device has been returned to the vendor, I need a more reliable, predictable device - without spending $1000.
Any ideas???

Thanks You!!

Upvote 1

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife bought me a cheap detector (Bounty Hunter Tracker PRO) to shoot coins with. Yes, it can detect a quarter at 6" deep but 99.99% of the targets it finds are false (beep, beep, beep, beep.... nothing there. And every 5th target is a silver dollar or a 50cent piece. Hundreds of targets in only one hour (beep, beep, beep) yielding nothing. Yes I put it in "coin mode" discriminating everything but silver coin. Found nothing in the course of a week but did a whole lot of digging. The device has been returned to the vendor, I need a more reliable, predictable device - without spending $1000.
Any ideas???

Thanks You!!
Minelab Vanquish Series, 340, 440 or 540. Great detectors for coin shooting with same Multi-IQ technology as the Equinox. Can't go wrong with any of these for the price ($199 - $369).
DD

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good advice from guys. Good luck finding the machine you want and fits your needs at a price you are willing to pay.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I second the Simplex Plus, I purchased a simplex plus for my grandson it came with two coils the standard 11 inch coil and a free 9.5 x 5 inch coil plus wireless headphones the Simplex plus at the price point it sits at is way more detector then the price point it sits at it would lead you to believe, it is also water proof has a on board flashlight as well as vibration for hearing impaired

it is marketed as a beginners detector but do not let that fool you because it detects way above its price point at $254 for the base unit and $339 for the unit I purchased for my grandson you cannot beat it and I do know from looking on the web yesterday that package with the free 9.5 x 5 coil is still available from some dealers

every time my grandson detects with me that detector astounds me each and every time just how deep and versatile of a detector it truly is, and like I said in another post I wish when I started back in 2010 they would have had a Simplex plus when i started out

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any ideas???

Thanks You!!
I want to know the location you are detecting if every 5th target is a silver dollar or a silver half i will take them odds every day LOL

the other thing is you will dig all kinds of trash targets and vary few good targets, if you think you are not then you need to find a different hobby which we hope you do not give up, it takes time to really learn what a machine is telling you and the only way to do that is to go out and detect and dig 100s of targets then and only then will you become one with your detector and will soon be able to distinguish a good or great target from bad targets

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would the Ace Apex fit the bill?

Garrett is known for their easy to use interface.
I suppose, but, the others mentioned are a better buy for the price. If you want waterproof, get the Simplex, if you don't need or want that, the Vanquish series would be my choice.

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suppose, but, the others mentioned are a better buy for the price. If you want waterproof, get the Simplex, if you don't need or want that, the Vanquish series would be my choice.
Dude, I think you're right. A single frequency waterproof detector for like the Simplex for like two fifty is a great deal. Multi frequency Vanquish detectors start about two hundred.

You're getting a lot for your money these days I think.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the OP is going to search wet ocean sand, I'd lean toward the Vanquish. It's multifrequency and will handle the salt better.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the OP is going to search wet ocean sand, I'd lean toward the Vanquish. It's multifrequency and will handle the salt better.
you are most likely correct but he better not dunk it in the water LOL

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are probably going to have issues with any machine if you are discriminating for only silver coins, maybe try not discriminating everything and dig some other targets, you would be amazed how iron can mask out a good target, but your machine said oh there is Iron so forget about the silver coin next to the iron object. Give your next machine a chance to work without discrimination on and see if it doesn't work better for you.

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would the Ace Apex fit the bill?

Garrett is known for their easy to use interface.
I find my Ace 400 to be a good coin shooter. It helped me dig less trash. (Less, but you still dig it)

I bought an Apex very recently, it's winter only got out once for a couple hours.
I think the Apex is going to be even better at coin shooting.

I find the Ace series very easy to learn/use. But the first detector I really spent anytime with was an Ace 250, still have and use it some. Got it in 2008, so it's really all I know. I don't get to hunt with others very often, but the few times I have, I didn't feel my machine was defiant.

Disclaimer, I live in the middle of the country. I have never hunted a salt beach, only sand I ever hunt is at a lake or river.

WesP

Greenie
Sep 25, 2012
Mound House, NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Extera 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt that any detector you buy no matter how much you pay will discriminate everything except coins. If it’s setup with that tight of discrimination you going to hear a lot of silence. As the Hover Boys say “All holes matter”. Digging trash is part of the hobby. If you found a silver dollar and a silver half you luckier then 90% of detectorist out there. Dig it all and take your trash with you……..l

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Vanquish Series, 340, 440 or 540. Great detectors for coin shooting with same Multi-IQ technology as the Equinox. Can't go wrong with any of these for the price ($199 - $369).
DD
TRY Doing this Take the Bountyhunter outside away from ALL METAL . Turn it on tale a dime slowly move the dime back and forth 2 inches from the coil/ Start at one end of the coil move the dime back and forth under the coil to the other side. YOU will SEE HOW VERY LITTLE the DETECTING area of the COIL really is 111 TRY it and report back to us please

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to jump in, I have owned multiple Garret machines, they did their job. Owned and still have a Tesoro. But the simplex was a game changer for many reasons. Recovery speed, depth, sensitivity, wading through iron infested fields and picking up multiple capped bust coins was just a game changer. You get a lot of bang for your buck. The rechargeable batteries will run all day.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread