A Quick Hunt at a Colonial Site

SpacemanSpiff

Jan 9, 2022
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
White’s MXT
I had some vacation to burn so what better way to use it than detecting? I had an old site planned out but was unable to get to it due to water level on the road, so I changed plans to a site that Dad and I hunted many, many times over the years - with the last hint there being roughly 10 -15 years ago. We thought it was hunted out, but after all that time the underbrush changed/disappeared, uncovering these finds. I moved about 75 yards over and hit what I believe another house site. Funny how you can be next to something and never know. Not a bad day, 5 flat buttons, two parts of pewter spoons/forks, hatchet/tomahawk, and an old piece of a brick I dug out of the hatchet hole. This was in the woods and have never found brick, just a lot - and I mean a lot - of iron. The pottery piece was out of another hole. Low and slow was the name of the game today. We found a few coins at the site years ago and they were coppers and half reale - all dated in the 1700s .

There are two unidentified items shown in the last two pics. Ideas?
0C0194CD-8EC2-4CA5-BFA6-4E34E6B3DC5D.jpeg
4268E13E-3FA4-4086-A775-2315F1D3695D.jpeg
58961AB8-DE23-4B75-9DCA-C9EF6F64E4CA.jpeg

Upvote 14

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had some vacation to burn so what better way to use it than detecting? I had an old site planned out but was unable to get to it due to water level on the road, so I changed plans to a site that Dad and I hunted many, many times over the years - with the last hint there being roughly 10 -15 years ago. We thought it was hunted out, but after all that time the underbrush changed/disappeared, uncovering these finds. I moved about 75 yards over and hit what I believe another house site. Funny how you can be next to something and never know. Not a bad day, 5 flat buttons, two parts of pewter spoons/forks, hatchet/tomahawk, and an old piece of a brick I dug out of the hatchet hole. This was in the woods and have never found brick, just a lot - and I mean a lot - of iron. The pottery piece was out of another hole. Low and slow was the name of the game today. We found a few coins at the site years ago and they were coppers and half reale - all dated in the 1700s .

There are two unidentified items shown in the last two pics. Ideas? View attachment 2015733 View attachment 2015735 View attachment 2015734
great saves, thanks for posting

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are two unidentified items shown in the last two pics. Ideas? View attachment 2015733 View attachment 2015735 View attachment 2015734
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions