A rainy day hunt in the park brought me silver and diamonds! Help with bottle ID too?

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have jumped through hoops to get permission from all the necessary people to hunt this park. Its maintained by volunteers AND the city and is a community park. NEVER HUNTED FORMALLY! I had to get permission from the town, the police and the volunteers(which I am now proudly one of) before I was able to get at this baby! It was a rainy day today and I figured the tot lot would be deserted as well as most of the park... im a loner, lol.The park is about 6 acres and the creek runs just about forever, lol. It has been used for community gatherings since the late 1800's or so, as is recorded. But, there was and still is a mill dam just to the side of the park from as far back as the early 1700s. I believe the mill ran up until the early 1900's in one form or another. A local history book from 1963 mentions the mill being gone, but the water wheel still being there... the waterwheel is still there to this day! Ive pulled thousands of square nails weeding through the trash on the mill site. One of the first white families to settle this creek had there homestead just a few hundred feet off the creek. The creek I decided to take a trip up today! Our weeds and foliage finally died back enough for me to get a better look. I found an old stacked rock wall going up into nowhere in the woods with a small path and I followed that for a bit. I was finding old pottery and some old bricks etc, but the most interesting find was this unique bottle. I know it is not super old, but the small top and shape make me think liquor bottle or cleaner or something of the sort. The only marks I see are a Large "I" as well as the number 31 and a small letter "A". I wonder is the 31 a date mark? The intriguing part about this bottle to me is the heavy, super strong plastic like (bakelite?) Tamper evident ring(closest thing I can compare it to) about an inch from the screw top of the bottle. It is set down into the glass, not just stuck on etc. It obviously held the cap and something else onto the bottle until opened. And would have done a hell of a job! You can see the mold seams running right up the bottle. I just like the small opening on the mouth(smaller than a penny. and the cool, small, curved shape. Perfect for a pocket etc. What are your opinions on the bottle? It's hard to see in the pics, but it is a beautiful light aqua blue/green color. Any info is appreciated! Once I got sick of eyeballing I got out the metal detector and hit a place I have been researching off the edge of the creek in the park. Within 2 minutes among the iron, I had the most solid 77-79 signal you could ask for! I pulled out my propointer and started to rub it across the surface of the ground when I got a light alarm. I scraped back the dirt and saw shiny GOLD! I freaked! I grabbed the item and it turned out to be this beautiful little marked sterling silver and diamond, yes real TESTED diamonds(9 of them,1 round center and 8 baguette), engagement ring! Just about an inch under the surface. It is marked inside but only "925" and what looks like a makers mark of "TL". The stones arent huge or flawless, but they are real. The ring wasnt gold, but it is SILVER! And it's beautiful, AAANNDD my wife says I can sell it, lol! Perfect time to make somebody a nice present for Christmas. This thing came out of the ground nice, but cleaned up with tarnex and water like new! Check me out on Instagram @bonezcustoms or dm me if youd like to make an offer... just putting that out there, lol! I can resize the ring for free if needed, and I have already checked that all the stones are tight as can be! I am a jeweler by trade, among other things. Mention treasure forum on any of my sales platforms and you will get the family discount! Great stuff for diggers like us, for our ladies, even kids etc. I do custom tools, knives and sheaths, antiques, oddities and restorations. Custom and vintage jewelry, I turn detecting finds/coins into jewelry and keepsakes, build custom displays... Im a picker, digger, treasure hunter, collector and I have LOTS of cool things available! Let me know about that bottle guys and gals! I know the numbers usually dont mean much, but they sometimes are date codes and the "I" has to be an identifiable maker. Maybe somebody will even know what this bottle held! This park is also just a stones throw away from a huge civil war winter camp(I'm sure they spent time at the creek) and has hosted hundreds of fourth of July festivals over the years. Last time I was out, I found what I believe to be an authentic .22 caliber short bullet from the civil war era and my first wheat penny! I know, strange to have never pulled a wheat huh? I usually am out hunting civil war sites, camps and the like lol. Not much of a coin shooter. Thanks for the support guys and as always happy hunting! Today was cold, wet, muddy and slick... but I got out and had a great time, and made some great finds! Thanks for any info on the bottle. I'm guessing the EARLIEST date would be the '31 on the bottom, but it could easily be up to the 70's+... I'm still very new to the bottles. I pick what I like anyway and I like it,lol! 20191214_232509.jpg
20191214_232515.jpg
20191214_232528.jpg
20191214_232541.jpg
20191214_232617.jpg 20191214_232704.jpg
20191214_232714.jpg
20191214_232738.jpg
20191214_232757.jpg 20191214_232826.jpg
20191214_182806.jpg
20191214_204411.jpg
20191214_204411.jpg 20191214_204427.jpg
20191214_204444.jpg
Jim Brown
Bonez customs and Collectables
@bonezcustoms on IG
etsy.com/bonezcustoms
eBay.com/bonezcustoms

Upvote 12

Iggyks

May 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have jumped through hoops to get permission from all the necessary people to hunt this park. Its maintained by volunteers AND the city and is a community park. NEVER HUNTED FORMALLY! I had to get permission from the town, the police and the volunteers(which I am now proudly one of) before I was able to get at this baby! It was a rainy day today and I figured the tot lot would be deserted as well as most of the park... im a loner, lol.The park is about 6 acres and the creek runs just about forever, lol. It has been used for community gatherings since the late 1800's or so, as is recorded. But, there was and still is a mill dam just to the side of the park from as far back as the early 1700s. I believe the mill ran up until the early 1900's in one form or another. A local history book from 1963 mentions the mill being gone, but the water wheel still being there... the waterwheel is still there to this day! Ive pulled thousands of square nails weeding through the trash on the mill site. One of the first white families to settle this creek had there homestead just a few hundred feet off the creek. The creek I decided to take a trip up today! Our weeds and foliage finally died back enough for me to get a better look. I found an old stacked rock wall going up into nowhere in the woods with a small path and I followed that for a bit. I was finding old pottery and some old bricks etc, but the most interesting find was this unique bottle. I know it is not super old, but the small top and shape make me think liquor bottle or cleaner or something of the sort. The only marks I see are a Large "I" as well as the number 31 and a small letter "A". I wonder is the 31 a date mark? The intriguing part about this bottle to me is the heavy, super strong plastic like (bakelite?) Tamper evident ring(closest thing I can compare it to) about an inch from the screw top of the bottle. It is set down into the glass, not just stuck on etc. It obviously held the cap and something else onto the bottle until opened. And would have done a hell of a job! You can see the mold seams running right up the bottle. I just like the small opening on the mouth(smaller than a penny. and the cool, small, curved shape. Perfect for a pocket etc. What are your opinions on the bottle? It's hard to see in the pics, but it is a beautiful light aqua blue/green color. Any info is appreciated! Once I got sick of eyeballing I got out the metal detector and hit a place I have been researching off the edge of the creek in the park. Within 2 minutes among the iron, I had the most solid 77-79 signal you could ask for! I pulled out my propointer and started to rub it across the surface of the ground when I got a light alarm. I scraped back the dirt and saw shiny GOLD! I freaked! I grabbed the item and it turned out to be this beautiful little marked sterling silver and diamond, yes real TESTED diamonds(9 of them,1 round center and 8 baguette), engagement ring! Just about an inch under the surface. It is marked inside but only "925" and what looks like a makers mark of "TL". The stones arent huge or flawless, but they are real. The ring wasnt gold, but it is SILVER! And it's beautiful, AAANNDD my wife says I can sell it, lol! Perfect time to make somebody a nice present for Christmas. This thing came out of the ground nice, but cleaned up with tarnex and water like new! Check me out on Instagram @bonezcustoms or dm me if youd like to make an offer... just putting that out there, lol! I can resize the ring for free if needed, and I have already checked that all the stones are tight as can be! I am a jeweler by trade, among other things. Mention treasure forum on any of my sales platforms and you will get the family discount! Great stuff for diggers like us, for our ladies, even kids etc. I do custom tools, knives and sheaths, antiques, oddities and restorations. Custom and vintage jewelry, I turn detecting finds/coins into jewelry and keepsakes, build custom displays... Im a picker, digger, treasure hunter, collector and I have LOTS of cool things available! Let me know about that bottle guys and gals! I know the numbers usually dont mean much, but they sometimes are date codes and the "I" has to be an identifiable maker. Maybe somebody will even know what this bottle held! This park is also just a stones throw away from a huge civil war winter camp(I'm sure they spent time at the creek) and has hosted hundreds of fourth of July festivals over the years. Last time I was out, I found what I believe to be an authentic .22 caliber short bullet from the civil war era and my first wheat penny! I know, strange to have never pulled a wheat huh? I usually am out hunting civil war sites, camps and the like lol. Not much of a coin shooter. Thanks for the support guys and as always happy hunting! Today was cold, wet, muddy and slick... but I got out and had a great time, and made some great finds! Thanks for any info on the bottle. I'm guessing the EARLIEST date would be the '31 on the bottom, but it could easily be up to the 70's+... I'm still very new to the bottles. I pick what I like anyway and I like it,lol! View attachment 1779688
View attachment 1779690
View attachment 1779691
View attachment 1779692
View attachment 1779693 View attachment 1779694
View attachment 1779695
View attachment 1779696
View attachment 1779697 View attachment 1779698
View attachment 1779699
View attachment 1779701
View attachment 1779701 View attachment 1779702
View attachment 1779703
Jim Brown
Bonez customs and Collectables
@bonezcustoms on IG
etsy.com/bonezcustoms
eBay.com/bonezcustoms
I think that might be Bacardi rum. US liquor bottles changed to metric mid to late 1970s

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice finds. Congratulations :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! In reply to the selling of the ring, I'm not broke. I'm actually a jeweler and restore old jewelry as well as buy/sell antique jewelry. So it's really just my business. I've never sold any of my coins or civil war artifacts etc. I'd keep the ring, but it's just free inventory at this point. It will make someone else VERY happy and I can give an AMAZING deal, since I paid nothing for it. I cant speak for everybody, but that's why THIS ring is for sale. And in case anyone was worried... I checked with the other volunteers and park workers and noone has reported anything missing. I would gladly return the ring to it's original owner, but there are no engravings etc to prove this belonged to anyone. Just a run of the mill, mass produced ring. I WISH it had been engraved and could have been returned! I'd love to return something like this to someone someday. Its value as a metal is minimal, but the sentiment behind this ring is priceless. Atleast it can go and make some lucky lady smile again, rather than sitting in the mud! I appreciate the support guys! I also remember something about the switch from "one pint" etc.
To 375 ml etc during my research of another glass bottle. I have pulled a BUNCH of 1970's era bottles from the surface in this spot, and have found some older bottles off the beaten track. It would make sense to be 1970s. I really like the shape... too bad it's too small to fill with pennies(my main use for found bottles)! I plan to head back again to this park maybe even today, hopefully I will update with more silver...coins would be great! I'm still waiting to stumble upon this 1863 winter camp as well! It's all out here somewhere! Anybody have any tips for finding an old cw camp? I know the creek would have been used even in the winter by the soldiers, and I have been working my way up it... is this a good method? Any suggestions are always welcome!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing to do with the ring Im sure it will make someone happoy. True treasure hunter all the effort you put in to dig some History. Hope you find lots more . Really good post

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread