A SERIOUS question for those that KNOW or think they KNOW

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
The foundation stones of temple mount in Jerusalem are huge, the largest found so far is 47’x11’.

(Edited because of loose nut behind the keyboard)
The Romans sacked, and tore down the Temple in the 70s CE.

They rebuilt it as a Temple to Jupiter. Ancient Roman crane technology moved blocks such as these.

I see shows like Ancient Aliens treat these types of material as mysterious when it's in only crane engineering.

Just search "Ancient Roman Greek Cranes".

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I respectfully disagree? There was a "chief" and a "spiritual leader", side by side. As cultures moved from scattered family groups to centralized cities, the political factions began to dominate the spiritual factions. This was required because, as the cultures grew, a central system was needed to control groups larger than the family unit. A natural progression. I'm not talking about today's political abomination.... we'll leave that discussion for another forum. ╦╦C

This reminds me of a book passage (The Murder Room by Michael Capuzzo, introduction).

"Chieftain, warrior, shaman or king, knight, magician. When the world is broken and needs fixing the thing to do is to find the three right men. The story begins with the world in ruins. Crops wither, even the trees are dead, tortured bones. The wounded king is powerless and cannot act without help. He needs two other men to embark on a journey. Men of great and unique talents that complement his own."

ETA: Ugh - corrected spelling.

Last edited:

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today i was watching the history channel about VERY EARLY Stone works. They are talking THOUSANDS of years ago with no HEAVY equipment . They built many stone works with a lot of stones weighing over 200 TONS perfectly cut STRAIGHT EDGES ! PREFECT FITS . South America, Africa , Europe just to name a few places. How do you think they did it ?I find it TOTALLY AMAZING 11! What is YOUR OPINION

1650179121558.png
1650179121558.png 1650179121558.png

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How is it that Roman concrete is vastly superior to the very best modern concrete. Which requires rebar for strength whereas Roman doesn’t need it.
Roman concrete is not superior....it's actually weaker in compressive strength by a considerable margin, but it's WAY more durable. Modern chemists are still working to accomplish our modern strengths with greater durability.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today i was watching the history channel about VERY EARLY Stone works. They are talking THOUSANDS of years ago with no HEAVY equipment . They built many stone works with a lot of stones weighing over 200 TONS perfectly cut STRAIGHT EDGES ! PREFECT FITS . South America, Africa , Europe just to name a few places. How do you think they did it ?I find it TOTALLY AMAZING 11! What is YOUR OPINION ?
The physics haven't changed in all those millennium. The only real difference between the stone work of thousands of years ago and the stonework of today is the simple fact that we have electric and fuel powered tools whereas the ancients had to rely on human or animal power.

Humans haven't gotten smarter nor have they gotten dumber. We can work faster today and the "modern" mentality is that perfection isn't a goal it's an obstacle to more good stuff cheaper and faster. I seriously doubt you could find any ancient stonework that couldn't be reproduced today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are examples all over this world . To do what they have done with out the tools and equipment we have now is totally amazing

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story of man is not one of evolution but devolution. As created, our ancestors were made in the image of God. It's been all downhill since then. We are conditioned to think that if we find a primitive tribe in the jungle, that that is a picture of early man. It is actually a picture of extremely advanced man, who degenerates to primitivism over time.

Finding seemingly impossible constructions such as you point out shows that we have lost some of our once-natural abilities.
Interesting take from the other side of the coin.

I've always believed in a remote, or distant past without the 'modern man' hubris to believe that we are always advancing. Global, catastrophic events in the past have left primitive humans to grow our ant colony again, toward the next collapse. Oral histories globally, contain fragments of this technology and our past, as do pictographs and cave art.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used

Some people are addicted to their imagination.

Remember that drug addictions, and thought addictions are closely related on a neurological level. The latter is basicly what one wants to believe is what brings about the neurochemical processes for behaviour repetition.

With our increased cognitive abilities we invented ways that go beyond our energy gathering, and specie perpetuation instincts.

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roman concrete is not superior....it's actually weaker in compressive strength by a considerable margin, but it's WAY more durable. Modern chemists are still working to accomplish our modern strengths with greater durability.

I'm not sure if it's weaker... the pozolantic ash/sand changes the chemical composition from calcium carbonate (which causes the cracks & weakness of the cement) to something more durable... a silicon blend which doesn't crack. I think the pozolan comes from volcanos -- which doesn't really explain the durability of Roman concrete in England.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used

Attachments

• ZomboMeme 21042022151739.jpg
    ZomboMeme 21042022151739.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 18

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure if it's weaker... the pozolantic ash/sand changes the chemical composition from calcium carbonate (which causes the cracks & weakness of the cement) to something more durable... a silicon blend which doesn't crack. I think the pozolan comes from volcanos -- which doesn't really explain the durability of Roman concrete in England.
It's been tested. Roman concrete is about 1000-1500 psi. Modern concrete easily makes 3,500, and can go as high as 7,000 with special mixes. We have the capability of chemical blends where the Romans were dependent on natural chemical blends. It may turn out that the stronger the compressive strength, the less durability. It could turn out that weaker concrete is more "flexible" and thus less likely to fracture.
Jim

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been tested. Roman concrete is about 1000-1500 psi. Modern concrete easily makes 3,500, and can go as high as 7,000 with special mixes. We have the capability of chemical blends where the Romans were dependent on natural chemical blends. It may turn out that the stronger the compressive strength, the less durability. It could turn out that weaker concrete is more "flexible" and thus less likely to fracture.
Jim
Knife blades are kind of like that -- sharp, easy to sharpen but difficult to keep that edge, dulls quicker, more brittle vs dullish (a knife isn't really ever 'dull'), difficult to actually get an edge but dang... it will last forever and nothing will break it.

Generally speaking, of course.

Zakon Krzyżacki

May 25, 2022
Today i was watching the history channel about VERY EARLY Stone works. They are talking THOUSANDS of years ago with no HEAVY equipment . They built many stone works with a lot of stones weighing over 200 TONS perfectly cut STRAIGHT EDGES ! PREFECT FITS . South America, Africa , Europe just to name a few places. How do you think they did it ?I find it TOTALLY AMAZING 11! What is YOUR OPINION ?
Those who came before.

Andysfinds

May 22, 2022
England
Detector(s) used
Cscope 3mxi pro (inland)
Cscope pi (beach)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they used woven strings or vines to get a straight edge. Just a thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread