A signal in solid rock

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Went out detecting with a couple friends this weekend. My friend was gracious enough to let me borrow my old sdc I have so many fond memories of. Got out early and poked around a spot Ive never spent much time on, but looked like it had some promise. Well as it goes most often, there wasnt any gold found, I know its there, but its not easy getting around. We walked down the trail towards areas I know quite well, and my friend mentioned that he had found gold just right in the next gully, so we spent some time poking around there. One small piece was found within 2 minutes, and then the lead gods gave us our portion. After awhile it was getting hot, but I knew if I just spent a little time in the creek Id have a nugget to cover my gas money. Maybe I need to downsize my vehicle, or I need to find bigger nuggets, because what I found I would not call a nugget, and it certainly didnt cover my gas. Once we got to the creek it didnt take long for the heat to be a bit too much to call this fun, so we headed out, but I had a card up my sleeve Ive been saving for a "rainy" day.

Some years ago I came upon a target in a rock. Being quite green behind the ears I caulked it up to a hot spot. Time went on, my skill improved, and again I found myself looking at this hot spot, I see someone else's attempt to recover the target, and it comes to me that I was that person. I knew my machine much better by now and I am fairly confident it is indeed a target. So I attempt to recover it, except theres one problem, there are no fractures in this rock. I tried and tried, but it was a failed attempt. There was my nugget, and I couldnt get to it. Ive kept that in my mind for years. It has always reminded me of the story Lanny told about the nugget in solid rock.

We went to the location and my friend who was swinging a top of the line vlf showed me how awesome his detector was. There was not one nugget there, the entire structure of the rock was disseminated with gold. Luckily I brought my tweaker survival kit with me and I proceeded to scrape the area with a razor knife, a paint brush and a straw. The size of the gold we picked out was insanely small. Basically everything in the vicinity needs to be processed. We were not able to recover the nugget, but next time we will be properly prepared. ( To be continued )

Upvote 7

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Good luck, keep us posted!
CoolEcstaticGerenuk-small.gif

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out detecting with a couple friends this weekend. My friend was gracious enough to let me borrow my old sdc I have so many fond memories of. Got out early and poked around a spot Ive never spent much time on, but looked like it had some promise. Well as it goes most often, there wasnt any gold found, I know its there, but its not easy getting around. We walked down the trail towards areas I know quite well, and my friend mentioned that he had found gold just right in the next gully, so we spent some time poking around there. One small piece was found within 2 minutes, and then the lead gods gave us our portion. After awhile it was getting hot, but I knew if I just spent a little time in the creek Id have a nugget to cover my gas money. Maybe I need to downsize my vehicle, or I need to find bigger nuggets, because what I found I would not call a nugget, and it certainly didnt cover my gas. Once we got to the creek it didnt take long for the heat to be a bit too much to call this fun, so we headed out, but I had a card up my sleeve Ive been saving for a "rainy" day.

Some years ago I came upon a target in a rock. Being quite green behind the ears I caulked it up to a hot spot. Time went on, my skill improved, and again I found myself looking at this hot spot, I see someone else's attempt to recover the target, and it comes to me that I was that person. I knew my machine much better by now and I am fairly confident it is indeed a target. So I attempt to recover it, except theres one problem, there are no fractures in this rock. I tried and tried, but it was a failed attempt. There was my nugget, and I couldnt get to it. Ive kept that in my mind for years. It has always reminded me of the story Lanny told about the nugget in solid rock.

We went to the location and my friend who was swinging a top of the line vlf showed me how awesome his detector was. There was not one nugget there, the entire structure of the rock was disseminated with gold. Luckily I brought my tweaker survival kit with me and I proceeded to scrape the area with a razor knife, a paint brush and a straw. The size of the gold we picked out was insanely small. Basically everything in the vicinity needs to be processed. We were not able to recover the nugget, but next time we will be properly prepared. ( To be continued )
I’m confused. You have a rock with gold disseminated throughout it, that the gold detector sounds off on, and you walked away? This must be a boulder that is too big to pack home? The prize would likely be all the small gold embedded in the rock, not the “target”. I’d be breaking off chunks, then crushing and panning it. Good luck!

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m confused. You have a rock with gold disseminated throughout it, that the gold detector sounds off on, and you walked away? This must be a boulder that is too big to pack home? The prize would likely be all the small gold embedded in the rock, not the “target”. I’d be breaking off chunks, then crushing and panning it. Good luck!
I’m confused. You have a rock with gold disseminated throughout it, that the gold detector sounds off on, and you walked away? This must be a boulder that is too big to pack home? The prize would likely be all the small gold embedded in the rock, not the “target”. I’d be breaking off chunks, then crushing and panning it.
Solid bedrock and 105+ degrees

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I know how all my deep into bedrock signals have worked out. It’s usually a pocket of pyrite or iron oxides. So the fine gold must be placer that’s embedded into the cracks?

If you don't bust it open it'll eat at your psyche until you do.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Often signals in solid bedrock are just graphite schist mineralization.
You called it.

Sorry for the late update but yes, obviously it was quite disappointing and messy. It was ringing louder and louder, hopes were high. Then all of the sudden it vanished. It was an abrupt end to any expectations of a nugget.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I know how all my deep into bedrock signals have worked out. It’s usually a pocket of pyrite or iron oxides. So the fine gold must be placer that’s embedded into the cracks?
It was pyrite/ graphite. I have recovered nuggets from seams that had closed long ago. I thought thats what I had.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
It was a mineralized rock. The miners had removed the gold vein and my friend was able to pick a couple tiny pieces of gold off the face of the rock they had scraped out. There was a target in the rock I had kept mental note of from way back when. Decided to extract it. It was a big nothing burger. neat looking stuff though.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a mineralized rock. The miners had removed the gold vein and my friend was able to pick a couple tiny pieces of gold off the face of the rock they had scraped out. There was a target in the rock I had kept mental note of from way back when. Decided to extract it. It was a big nothing burger. neat looking stuff though.
Well the only real way we gather knowledge is to DO. Too bad it wasn’t something else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread