Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the festival grounds. They couldn’t get enough workers for the festival this year so it was canceled. I had hoped that after the festival there would be a bunch of new losses to go with some of the older stuff in the ground, but I decided to give it a try anyway. I spent most of my time gridding part of the grass parking area and a little time wandering around near the adjacent ball fields.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 101 coins with a face value of $6.68, a copper bullet jacket missing the lead, a ring, a mystery item, a copper rivet, can slaw, whole cans, bottle caps, tabs and some foil.

6D82A655-7BCE-446C-92E7-3D88C247481B.jpeg

The ring is sterling with a black heart of some kind,not a stone or gem. It is a recent loss and was on top of the ground under the grass. When I got the high tone signal I parted the grass to use the Garrett carrot and there it was.

3E0FE4CF-60A9-4EB2-9DC6-E93F60EA5932.jpeg

20DB9C8E-AD4A-4F83-9B74-49967507EAB2.jpeg 3B03AF27-CE77-40AD-A0C3-79573D2794FC.jpeg

I dug a coin signal and a nickel sized item came out of the ground. I rubbed at it, but it did not come clean and it was not recognizable. I put in my pouch and went on. When I got home I rubbed at it again and thought I saw something under the crud. I chipped a little bit off with my finger nail and I could see it was a Jefferson nickel. It looked a little too shiny to be a regular nickel so I turned it over and chipped a little more and there was the S above the dome of Monticello. So I got out a tooth pick and worked a little more. It is a 1943 S. The S mint mark on a war nickel is an unusual find in these parts. So something that could have been a nonferrous electrical box knock out is actually a silver coin. Woo hoo.

Here are pictures after the first chipping.

00709698-F5B5-40B9-A0A5-C9240310A6E6.jpeg

BBA3AC3F-B0F7-4710-A3FF-2DE75EC3F709.jpeg

Here it is after the second more thorough cleaning. It still needs more cleaning, but I now know what it is now. It might need electrolysis or andres pencils to finish the job.

4C875761-775B-4A9D-A752-F3789CF1FAA9.jpeg

B5CC14B0-DDF2-4DFB-A152-B8015DB5EE23.jpeg

So, nice fresh air exercise in the sunshine, with a nice silver hiding in the crud and a cute little silver ring. That makes a 2 silver day and that ain’t bad for me. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck, and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 14

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the silvers and clad.
That war nickel is one crud covered coin.
I've dug a few crud covered older coins over the years but nothing from the war era that is like yours.
Good job so far in cleaning it up.
Makes one wonder why it is so cruddy.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice recoveries well Done Congratulations

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the festival grounds. They couldn’t get enough workers for the festival this year so it was canceled. I had hoped that after the festival there would be a bunch of new losses to go with some of the older stuff in the ground, but I decided to give it a try anyway. I spent most of my time gridding part of the grass parking area and a little time wandering around near the adjacent ball fields.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 101 coins with a face value of $6.68, a copper bullet jacket missing the lead, a ring, a mystery item, a copper rivet, can slaw, whole cans, bottle caps, tabs and some foil.

View attachment 1987820

The ring is sterling with a black heart of some kind,not a stone or gem. It is a recent loss and was on top of the ground under the grass. When I got the high tone signal I parted the grass to use the Garrett carrot and there it was.

View attachment 1987819

View attachment 1987821 View attachment 1987822

I dug a coin signal and a nickel sized item came out of the ground. I rubbed at it, but it did not come clean and it was not recognizable. I put in my pouch and went on. When I got home I rubbed at it again and thought I saw something under the crud. I chipped a little bit off with my finger nail and I could see it was a Jefferson nickel. It looked a little too shiny to be a regular nickel so I turned it over and chipped a little more and there was the S above the dome of Monticello. So I got out a tooth pick and worked a little more. It is a 1943 S. The S mint mark on a war nickel is an unusual find in these parts. So something that could have been a nonferrous electrical box knock out is actually a silver coin. Woo hoo.

View attachment 1987823

View attachment 1987824

Here it is after the second more thorough cleaning. It still needs more cleaning, but I now know what it is now. It might need electrolysis or andres pencils to finish the job.

View attachment 1987825

View attachment 1987826

So, nice fresh air exercise in the sunshine, with a nice silver hiding in the crud and a cute little silver ring. That makes a 2 silver day and that ain’t bad for me. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck, and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1987820

View attachment 1987819

View attachment 1987821 View attachment 1987822

View attachment 1987823

View attachment 1987824

View attachment 1987825

View attachment 1987826

Nice job with the finds.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread