A silver ring, tiny golden surprise and my first complete shoe buckle (it’s pewter)

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you first start detecting any coin is a good find, but after you have been digging for 20 years those kind of hunts are a disappointment, but they do happen. The first hunt was one of those hunts. Just coins and miscellaneous junk to recycle.

It was at the festival ground. I gridded a small area and did some walk around. In 4 hours I found 48 coins with a face value of $3.40, a weird ball, a guitar pic, personal tent pegs, can tabs and aluminum cans and slaw.

BCCF523B-C4D7-43A6-9365-B9D6E45AE2D3.jpeg

The ball had a mid tone signal, but when I dug up the ball I was surprised when it set off the pinpointer because it looked like scratched up plastic. It rattled a little so I figured it had a metal center and when I washed it the letters appeared and it turns out it is a compass ball off the end of a walking stick. Sometimes you do find the strangest things.

E41C0429-F79C-40A5-BFD2-95A02A3DC7EF.jpeg

I went back to the civil war bullet school and did a grid on the section where I found the bus token. Nothing special there but it was 101, the ground was hard and dry and I needed to hydrate so I headed back to the truck doing a little swingin as I went. I got a high tone and dug a dime out of the plug. As I was about to close the plug I saw a small gold colored circle in the hole. It was thin and small and did not set off the pinpointer. I stuck it in the finds box and when I got home I looked it over carefully, no marks of any kind, but it looked good so I tested it. The silly thing is 14k. Good things do show up sometimes when you least expect it.

26B814E9-C03A-4AF4-9610-E11ED035CC2E.jpeg

All together in 4 hours (too hot do any more for this old man) I found 70 coins with a face value of $3.97, a toy car and motorcycle, a watch ring, a cheapie earring (on the surface), a kiddie ring, a toasted wheatie, the gold earring, half a key, a crusty brass thingy, a few tabs, and whole cans, slaw and aluminum bottle caps.

C053A722-5964-42A4-A7B6-9466CBD942D1.jpeg

I recognized the crusty brass thingy. It is part of a WW2 snap fastener used on canteen covers and small canvas satchels. I used surplus military gear when I was a scout in the 60s and that’s what was on the gear.

385D838A-35BC-4221-A88F-47905BDDBC69.jpeg

I went back to the dog park for a short hunt. Family obligations didn’t give me much time. The ground was really quiet. I did manage to find a few coins and one unexpected bucket lister.

I got a real weak high tone signal and I decided to dig it and I cut a real deep plug thinking it might be something deep from the sound. At about 10 inches the pinpointer gave a decent signal, but the target was still deeper so I scooped out about 4 inches more. The I got a strong signal that covered the bottom of the hole and I was sure I was chasing another aluminum can (I had just dug one 4 feet away). So another shovel full and the signal was gone so I checked the last shovelful on the bucket lid I use and there it was. My first complete shoe buckle. It was down around 16 inches and unfortunately the area was worked over with heavy equipment to make the ball fields and then reworked to make the dog park. It looks like I scraped the edge of it when I dug it. It is pewter and pewter does not hold up well in our soil. This one is flaking some and it has been badly mangled. I don’t think in its present state I can do anything to improve its condition except maybe use some diluted Elmer’s glue to stop the flaking. Let me know if you have any better ideas. The guts are in great shape and the pitchfork still moves which is amazing. If I ready the buckle book right this style was made between 1720 and 1790. So another nice surprise. Too bad it is in such bad shape, it was a real beauty at one time.

1208047C-BFB6-4F3B-AE86-1C9129D80250.jpeg

71EEB3E0-244C-4BF7-AFFB-5F8A727C40AA.jpeg

5127EB89-108A-4F7C-B3B9-D1DCD085AC68.jpeg

In the 1.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 I found 13 coins with a face value of $0.95, the shoe buckle, a few tabs some slaw and one whole aluminum can.

I still had a little time left and the dog park was getting busy so I decided to go to a baseball field and give the concession/spectator area a quick look. In the hour I was there I found a surprising 36 coins with a face value of $3.91, a mashed brass whatzit, a few more tabs and a little can slaw. I walked around a decent sized area so it looks like it might be worth my while to grid this spot some time soon.

EB7C4BEE-C61F-40A7-ADF9-7693E5721F0F.jpeg

I went to the other school and did a little swingin. I only had 4 hours because I needs to get home and pack for scout camp. Hopefully I will get a little detecting in while I am there.

I continued my grid by the old baseball field. I managed to find 65 coins with a face value of $5.30, a silver ring, a cheapie cross and chain, 3 modern buttons, a football spike, a makeup tin, a nice pile of can tabs and the smallest amount of junk I have found in a long time.

DA3DA49A-CB2F-4385-8809-E75EEDA01963.jpeg

86584B1E-C8AA-47C0-BC80-0367954EAB97.jpeg

The ring is an adjustable ring with a cheapie stone setting (the stone is missing). It was either on a very small child when it was lost or it got mashed together. It is marked AVON 925.

CBEA1389-80C4-47A4-BE30-432EA785FE50.jpeg

D02D8F0C-D75E-4C5F-9279-EC29F7D5D8C0.jpeg

The buttons are all different. The first button is all aluminum and the second has a plane brass face and a rusted ferrous back. The ball button is like others I have found at the school and probably came off a band or drill team uniform when this was a high school.

2DED1EA7-88EF-4360-B608-D5ACD5EAA842.jpeg

The make up container is badly squashed. It has an Egyptian Queen silhouette on the front and ARMAND, COLD CREAM ROUGE, TRADE MARK REG, MADE IN USA on the back. I believe it was made in the 1930’s.

B2CF2D13-EAA0-476E-AC6D-94894F95A039.jpeg

0743B5F1-DBAC-489A-B575-E1404F43A413.jpeg

We always start a hunt with hope. We hope for the best and accept that we might not find much. Sometimes we get surprises and sometimes we get disappointed but if you don’t go you won’t know so keep swinging and sometimes those surprises are in the most unexpected places. This week I got 2 unlikely surprises. The tiny gold I eyeballed in the hole and the complete pewter colonial shoe buckle in a spot not occupied during colonial times. Don’t you just love this hobby!

Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

FYI: I will be at scout camp next week with limited internet service so I may not see replies or be able to react to them until later.

Attachments

• EE341FEC-1C10-44FF-8BF9-26830E67BD3B.jpeg
    EE341FEC-1C10-44FF-8BF9-26830E67BD3B.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 24

Zakon Krzyżacki

May 25, 2022
I would be happy with all that exercise!
Cool finds.

I can relate to the feeling of disappointment.
I started detecting in 1978 or 79.
Back then a trip to any local park resulted in pockets full of silver, wheats and Indians.

Oh and thank an old timer detectorist, if you think the pull tabs are bad on old sites nowadays, you should have seen how bad it was back then lol but not lol!

Thanks for sharing.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you first start detecting any coin is a good find, but after you have been digging for 20 years those kind of hunts are a disappointment, but they do happen. The first hunt was one of those hunts. Just coins and miscellaneous junk to recycle.

It was at the festival ground. I gridded a small area and did some walk around. In 4 hours I found 48 coins with a face value of $3.40, a weird ball, a guitar pic, personal tent pegs, can tabs and aluminum cans and slaw.

View attachment 2033861

The ball had a mid tone signal, but when I dug up the ball I was surprised when it set off the pinpointer because it looked like scratched up plastic. It rattled a little so I figured it had a metal center and when I washed it the letters appeared and it turns out it is a compass ball off the end of a walking stick. Sometimes you do find the strangest things.

View attachment 2033863

I went back to the civil war bullet school and did a grid on the section where I found the bus token. Nothing special there but it was 101, the ground was hard and dry and I needed to hydrate so I headed back to the truck doing a little swingin as I went. I got a high tone and dug a dime out of the plug. As I was about to close the plug I saw a small gold colored circle in the hole. It was thin and small and did not set off the pinpointer. I stuck it in the finds box and when I got home I looked it over carefully, no marks of any kind, but it looked good so I tested it. The silly thing is 14k. Good things do show up sometimes when you least expect it.

View attachment 2033866

All together in 4 hours (too hot do any more for this old man) I found 70 coins with a face value of $3.97, a toy car and motorcycle, a watch ring, a cheapie earring (on the surface), a kiddie ring, a toasted wheatie, the gold earring, half a key, a crusty brass thingy, a few tabs, and whole cans, slaw and aluminum bottle caps.

View attachment 2033865

I recognized the crusty brass thingy. It is part of a WW2 snap fastener used on canteen covers and small canvas satchels. I used surplus military gear when I was a scout in the 60s and that’s what was on the gear.

View attachment 2033868

I went back to the dog park for a short hunt. Family obligations didn’t give me much time. The ground was really quiet. I did manage to find a few coins and one unexpected bucket lister.

I got a real weak high tone signal and I decided to dig it and I cut a real deep plug thinking it might be something deep from the sound. At about 10 inches the pinpointer gave a decent signal, but the target was still deeper so I scooped out about 4 inches more. The I got a strong signal that covered the bottom of the hole and I was sure I was chasing another aluminum can (I had just dug one 4 feet away). So another shovel full and the signal was gone so I checked the last shovelful on the bucket lid I use and there it was. My first complete shoe buckle. It was down around 16 inches and unfortunately the area was worked over with heavy equipment to make the ball fields and then reworked to make the dog park. It looks like I scraped the edge of it when I dug it. It is pewter and pewter does not hold up well in our soil. This one is flaking some and it has been badly mangled. I don’t think in its present state I can do anything to improve its condition except maybe use some diluted Elmer’s glue to stop the flaking. Let me know if you have any better ideas. The guts are in great shape and the pitchfork still moves which is amazing. If I ready the buckle book right this style was made between 1720 and 1790. So another nice surprise. Too bad it is in such bad shape, it was a real beauty at one time.

View attachment 2033869

View attachment 2033871

View attachment 2033872

In the 1.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 I found 13 coins with a face value of $0.95, the shoe buckle, a few tabs some slaw and one whole aluminum can.

I still had a little time left and the dog park was getting busy so I decided to go to a baseball field and give the concession/spectator area a quick look. In the hour I was there I found a surprising 36 coins with a face value of $3.91, a mashed brass whatzit, a few more tabs and a little can slaw. I walked around a decent sized area so it looks like it might be worth my while to grid this spot some time soon.

View attachment 2033874

I went to the other school and did a little swingin. I only had 4 hours because I needs to get home and pack for scout camp. Hopefully I will get a little detecting in while I am there.

I continued my grid by the old baseball field. I managed to find 65 coins with a face value of $5.30, a silver ring, a cheapie cross and chain, 3 modern buttons, a football spike, a makeup tin, a nice pile of can tabs and the smallest amount of junk I have found in a long time.

View attachment 2033877

View attachment 2033879

The ring is an adjustable ring with a cheapie stone setting (the stone is missing). It was either on a very small child when it was lost or it got mashed together. It is marked AVON 925.

View attachment 2033883

View attachment 2033882

The buttons are all different. The first button is all aluminum and the second has a plane brass face and a rusted ferrous back. The ball button is like others I have found at the school and probably came off a band or drill team uniform when this was a high school.

View attachment 2033880

The make up container is badly squashed. It has an Egyptian Queen silhouette on the front and ARMAND, COLD CREAM ROUGE, TRADE MARK REG, MADE IN USA on the back. I believe it was made in the 1930’s.

View attachment 2033885

View attachment 2033886

We always start a hunt with hope. We hope for the best and accept that we might not find much. Sometimes we get surprises and sometimes we get disappointed but if you don’t go you won’t know so keep swinging and sometimes those surprises are in the most unexpected places. This week I got 2 unlikely surprises. The tiny gold I eyeballed in the hole and the complete pewter colonial shoe buckle in a spot not occupied during colonial times. Don’t you just love this hobby!

Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

FYI: I will be at scout camp next week with limited internet service so I may not see replies or be able to react to them until later.
That buckle is a beauty. I hope to find one someday.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2033861

View attachment 2033863

View attachment 2033866

View attachment 2033865

View attachment 2033868

View attachment 2033869

View attachment 2033871

View attachment 2033872

View attachment 2033874

View attachment 2033877

View attachment 2033879

View attachment 2033883

View attachment 2033882

View attachment 2033880

View attachment 2033885

View attachment 2033886

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for the nice replies and likes. I am back on line now that we are back from camp. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice posting :) Looks like you had fun. I hope you were wearing knee pads LOL Thanks for sharing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread