tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up today for $4.63 at a thrift store. It has a small mark that says "Sterling by Grand". I did find there's a small silver shop in Brooklyn, NY that's called Grand Sterling that sell mostly Judiaca related items of silver. As for this item its a pretty decent score of some 121 grams of scrap .925 silver, but I can't figure out what it's real purpose is.

Attachments

• 20221201_171913.jpg
    20221201_171913.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20221201_165858.jpg
    20221201_165858.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 20221201_165002.jpg
    20221201_165002.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 88

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I picked this up today for $4.63 at a thrift store. It has a small mark that says "Sterling by Grand". I did find there's a small silver shop in Brooklyn, NY that's called Grand Sterling that sell mostly Judiaca related items of silver. As for this item its a pretty decent score of some 121 grams of scrap .925 silver, but I can't figure out what it's real purpose is.
Nice score 👏
No idea either :dontknow:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh sorry.... heh.... "knife cruet" :P
Cruet of some sorts
I just noticed the 2 slots on each arm.
The upper arms the knife would hang through the openings, but not the lower ones.
Looking at this now the 2 slots, thinking they were the for a dish/plate/cup unit to rest on, that could be removed and cleaned.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The maker's mark picture is blurry, can you tell us what it says. "Sterling?"

OK-Had the :coffee2::coffee2:I read it again.....:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The maker's mark picture is blurry, can you tell us what it says. "Sterling?"
Once again, it says on the lower platform (Sterling by Grand) It's a small mark and I used jewelers magnifier in front of the lens to hopefully get a bigger clearer image.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once again, it says on the lower platform (Sterling by Grand) It's a small mark and I used jewelers magnifier in front of the lens to hopefully get a bigger clearer image.
I just edited my post-
No need if that's the mark

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cruet of some sorts
I just noticed the 2 slots on each arm.
The upper arms the knife would hang through the openings, but not the lower ones.
Looking at this now the 2 slots, thinking they were the for a dish/plate/cup unit to rest on, that could be removed and cleaned.
A cruet of some kind and what ever went in those slots, being small knives, pickle forks or whatever were possibly made of sterling also. It is scrap to me, being a cookie cut stamped out sterling silver item. The top is screwed on and I'll be cutting off that little nut and bolt before I take it to the PM buyer/coin shop. The value I get from them will go towards a most likely piece of jewelry from the thousands of pieces he has there to sort through. He marks his jewelry up by scrap value plus, but often overlooks something unique with a higher value than what it might be by weight, such as signed jewelry.

Attachments

• 20221203_065228.jpg
    20221203_065228.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you contact them? Even if they're not the ones that crafted this piece, perhaps they can tell you what it is.
Who really knows. I'm just going to speculate it was made in Israel and purchased by Grand Sterling in Brooklyn where they put their mark on it to offer to the Jewish consumers of that area. Grand Sterling has been in business since 1963 it looks like and catering to the Jewish community with religious type items made of precious metals it appears.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A cruet of some kind and what ever went in those slots, being small knives, pickle forks or whatever were possibly made of sterling also. It is scrap to me, being a cookie cut stamped out sterling silver item. The top is screwed on and I'll be cutting off that little nut and bolt before I take it to the PM buyer/coin shop. The value I get from them will go towards a most likely piece of jewelry from the thousands of pieces he has there to sort through. He marks his jewelry up by scrap value plus, but often overlooks something unique with a higher value than what it might be by weight, such as signed jewelry.
What are they paying for scrap .925 now?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are they paying for scrap .925 now?
It varies with an individual dealer, but some places online pay more, but you gotta ship it to them and they might only take a minimum amount. All the prices are based on the alloy of the silver to some degree. My guy won't take anything under 80% alloy. The price of pure silver by the gram today is about $0.74. I might get maybe $70.00 usd out of this item from my guy. The actual value of it by today's silver price is around $80. , but he has gotten a bit more stingy from when he first began buying scrap pm's locally, so I won't really know what he'll be willing to offer until I take it there. My first idea is to trade something he has. That can be at times the best way to get more out of these treasures I find searching these thrift stores or anywhere I might find that one man's trash.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread