A supposed Spanish cache, in the Superstitions up Hewitt Canyon. Latter supposedly from the 1970's.

Wyatt_DH

Greenie
Oct 3, 2022
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't typically take selfies especially when in the wilderness, and especially not when alone. However, I did this time as proof of being somewhere for someone. I heard about this spot from Larry Hedrick on his YouTube channel, "Mysteries of the Superstition Mountains". Nothing at the bottom other than wood and rock, and could just be a random hole in the ground dug up behind a pathetic waterfall(some trickling even in July), but certainly interesting and has a brief history so I had to go. I am not looking for the LDM but rather the history surrounding it, but I do go out just about every weekend looking for anything I can find-if someday that happens to be the LDM hundreds have legitimately looked for, then I would be pretty stoked but I'm not making that a goal or I might go crazy. I cannot help but think this had to have been put here for a reason, why I do not know. Not even Larry Hedrick knows, nor the gentleman who showed it to him. All he said was it could have been a possible Spanish cache. Cache or not however, it is a beautiful area and definitely worth the trip...just maybe not when I went in mid July starting at noon. It is just over a mile of hiking but there are 60% grades and that goes on for ~500ft. I am a rock climber at heart, and I also work outside so I am plenty used to the heat and exposure(took nothing with me other than water, a gun, a headlamp, and a preroll(not trying to show off in fact I would suggest you travel light as well if you want to go, especially from April-October)), but anyone going whether it be unprepared, unskilled, or anyone thinking it's a nice walk up there will need access to contacting search and rescue via cell phone or emergency SAT phone, which is not a joke. The terrain required to traverse through involves some class 3(YDS) climbing, 60% grades as previously stated, predatorial animals, and a nice high of 118 degrees with minimal shaded areas along the "trail"(there is no trail and has never been, you have to make your own). Hopefully many more posts to come, whether you're interested in my adventures/findings or not is up to you, yourself, and you, but hopefully everyone can at least appreciate the beauty of the areas I go to or maybe the history. I won't be posting anything unless I find something truly interesting or actual evidence, and most will have more than just one picture, but I needed a first post so here it is. If you are interested in this specific spot, message me or go watch Larry's video for yourself and find it!
unnamed.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.

Might want to remove the rocks that are poised precariously on that slanted ledge.

They are perched in such a way that one of them is bound to take you out whilst you are descending or ascending that shady looking ladder.

OP
OP
W

Wyatt_DH

Greenie
Oct 3, 2022
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wyatt, am up in Payson, how did that cache dig turn out?
I did not dig around it at all, only found a few old nails and a bucket and stuff like that. I am not interested in finding gold or anything like that, mainly just the geography and history. You could take a beep there and try for yourself, I can give you exact coordinates if it is something you would like to try to go and do. I am sure it has been cleaned/checked out more than once though. There is a video on YouTube of a guy who digs through it if you want to see it, he also goes to the surrounding outcroppings in the area as well. Though, he did not go into one that I went into, neither did Larry in his video that initially brought me out there.

that is the one kid who dug around out there. Not much going on other than cool rock features and beautiful mountains surrounding.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread