A weird civil war bullet, an old bus token, slide day at camp and a patch of wheat

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the civil war bullet school to do a little swingin of the CZ21. I started by extending the grid in front of the school. In 3 hours I only found 3 pennies, a dime and a fired bullet. So I moved to another part of the property and the coins were better.

In the 5 hours I was there I found 97 coins with a face value of $4.29, the cap roll compartment from an old toy gun, the aluminum screw on tip from something, a wrist watch frame, an old fired bullet, a ring, a wheatie and the usual assortment of tabs and trash.

97C00186-35C9-43CE-B67B-45F2CA6FC5D5.jpeg

The ring is a plated kiddie ring, nothing great and the wheatie is a 1956D. The wheatie was close to the surface and looks like it was a recent loss. It would have been a lot crustier if it has been in the acid soil for a long time.

398636D4-E26B-4659-BD96-AB887DF42280.jpeg

The bullet is kind of a mystery. It is definitely old and made of lead. But it has a hard round something imbedded in it the has a rod going through the center and into the lead. At first I thought it might be a fired Williams cleaner, but has too much lead for the type III I find at the school. I then thought it could be a minie ball that had been loaded with the zinc washer and plunger from a type III (I have found a number of unfired cleaners with the washer and plunger missing. I checked my Thomas and Thomas guide book and found that the Williams type II was larger and had 3 rings instead of the 2 rings of a type III. I have marked the rings in the second picture. If I am right this is my first Type II and the first fired civil war bullet from this site.

43095EE8-0889-4EB4-B3CE-3EAC97ABDEB9.jpeg

B2F6CAB1-AE21-47C6-85FC-ABBE08EDC142.jpeg

I went back to the other school to see what I could find. Not as good as usual for this site. In 5 hours I found 68 coins with a face value of $4.47, a football spike, 4 wheaties and the usual assortment of tabs and trash.

38B74F1C-C291-4AC4-837E-F089620EF68C.jpeg

The wheaties were all down at least 10 inches and are a 1940, 1942D, 1945 and 1957. I probably dug 60 tabs, lots of target, just not a lot of goodies. Unfortunately that’s the way it goes some times.

10C2CD93-0E63-470C-84FC-4C11DF02E0D1.jpeg

72012111-4A01-44B3-BE0B-2F9728014092.jpeg

I went back to the bullet school for another 5 hour hunt. I found 64 coins with a face value of $5.24, a toy car, an old brass faucet stem, an all metal football spike, a chunk of old lead (camp lead of construction, no way to tell), an old bus token, a Kennedy half, a wheatie, tabs and the usual assortment of junk.

53815BE2-9242-47E9-BE09-7593EDF10CBB.jpeg

Kennedy halves don’t turn up too often, too bad it’s not a silver one. The wheatie is a 1957.

A4129F15-4123-4012-AA53-E8C6AD2A9825.jpeg

The bus token is one I have found several times before. This one is in better shape than most. It reads CUMBERLAND TRANSIT LINES CUMB, MD with CTL in the center. On the back it says GOOD FOR ONE SCHOOL FARE.

5A0BAF95-3619-417D-AC8E-142DBA9DA9DA.jpeg

5649F8F9-4CD7-4D91-A7E8-F74DE8151642.jpeg

I did a little walking around a parking lot while my wife was shopping. Got some good exercise and found 4 coins, a cheapie ring and a plated mushroom pendant. Nothing great, but you have to keep looking because the next one might be gold.

793F77DF-1748-43B0-97EF-D128AD949F04.jpeg

So I took one last trip to camp before they open. I will be there for a week of camp, but I may be too busy to do any swingin. So this could be my last hunt there until mid August when camp closes.

The camp has been producing a nice variety and this trip was no exception. In 6 hours I found 144 coins with a face value of $9.97, 69 camp tent pegs, parts to an old wooden ruler, sinkers, an Allen wrench, 2 rope tensioners, 3 scout pins, 3 leatherwork stamps, part of a fishing lure, a Coleman lantern zipper pull, a key, 2 tokens, a fake cob coin, a scout knife, 6 neckerchief slides, some tabs, melted foil and junk.

A56D635D-CC5A-42DC-95A9-CDC6BAFFCD95.jpeg

9F18F038-D9A7-4640-8B35-B2283CE6BB00.jpeg

The tokens are 2 different sizes of the American Eagle NO CASH VALUE tokens and the fake cob is one I have found many times before and has the word COPY on it.

3AECBB99-44FE-4E31-9576-956F066B6B4B.jpeg

The slides are 3 Webelos slides (the style has never changed over the years) and 3 older style Cub Scout slides. The center one has been mashed flat.

8F8E844A-9131-46AA-8BFE-606DF886F40A.jpeg

The ruler pieces were out in the middle of the woods. I have been venturing out away from the camp sites more hoping to find areas that may have been used a long time ago and are no longer in use. These pieces were all together in the same hole. You can see the ruler markings on the larger piece. With a little research I was able to find a match. It is a Stanley #36. Not exactly sure when they were made, but chances are this one was lost before the scouts got here in 1980.

B330BB58-D41C-4657-9806-BB6BBFA0A36A.jpeg

49F0E785-70B9-4DED-A1B5-DE2213F2155F.jpeg

FD56F884-18D4-4E29-BA16-939A322324FC.jpeg

B6DB6AFF-EB69-4599-AD8D-896BEDF326AD.jpeg

I know some of you will not like this part, but I found another friend while I was swingin. He was hiding in the greenbriars. He was a 4 feet long black rat snake. My brothers and I used to catch snakes and keep them as pets when we were kids. I left this guy alone. These guys eat a lot of mice and other pests and are harmless. Years ago I heard someone say that the black snakes were mating with copperheads. People were seeing the patterns on the black rat snake and thinking it was a cross breed. The black rat snake is born gray and brown with markings SIMILAR to those of a copperhead. When they mature they are black, but you can see the pattern faintly in their scales. A lot of people kill all snakes on site which is a pity because most are harmless and beneficial. Keep your eyes open and just leave them alone, they do NOT attack and only bite in self defense if you step on they, corner them or try and pick them up.

B5411025-7D46-440F-A315-DE821C11CFE0.jpeg

So another decent week, no silver, but interesting stuff and decent clad. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 20

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the civil war bullet school to do a little swingin of the CZ21. I started by extending the grid in front of the school. In 3 hours I only found 3 pennies, a dime and a fired bullet. So I moved to another part of the property and the coins were better.

In the 5 hours I was there I found 97 coins with a face value of $4.29, the cap roll compartment from an old toy gun, the aluminum screw on tip from something, a wrist watch frame, an old fired bullet, a ring, a wheatie and the usual assortment of tabs and trash.

View attachment 2032752

The ring is a plated kiddie ring, nothing great and the wheatie is a 1956D. The wheatie was close to the surface and looks like it was a recent loss. It would have been a lot crustier if it has been in the acid soil for a long time.

View attachment 2032753

The bullet is kind of a mystery. It is definitely old and made of lead. But it has a hard round something imbedded in it the has a rod going through the center and into the lead. At first I thought it might be a fired Williams cleaner, but has too much lead for the type III I find at the school. I then thought it could be a minie ball that had been loaded with the zinc washer and plunger from a type III (I have found a number of unfired cleaners with the washer and plunger missing. I checked my Thomas and Thomas guide book and found that the Williams type II was larger and had 3 rings instead of the 2 rings of a type III. I have marked the rings in the second picture. If I am right this is my first Type II and the first fired civil war bullet from this site.

View attachment 2032754

View attachment 2032755

I went back to the other school to see what I could find. Not as good as usual for this site. In 5 hours I found 68 coins with a face value of $4.47, a football spike, 4 wheaties and the usual assortment of tabs and trash.

View attachment 2032756

The wheaties were all down at least 10 inches and are a 1940, 1942D, 1945 and 1957. I probably dug 60 tabs, lots of target, just not a lot of goodies. Unfortunately that’s the way it goes some times.

View attachment 2032757

View attachment 2032758

I went back to the bullet school for another 5 hour hunt. I found 64 coins with a face value of $5.24, a toy car, an old brass faucet stem, an all metal football spike, a chunk of old lead (camp lead of construction, no way to tell), an old bus token, a Kennedy half, a wheatie, tabs and the usual assortment of junk.

View attachment 2032760

Kennedy halves don’t turn up too often, too bad it’s not a silver one. The wheatie is a 1957.

View attachment 2032761

The bus token is one I have found several times before. This one is in better shape than most. It reads CUMBERLAND TRANSIT LINES CUMB, MD with CTL in the center. On the back it says GOOD FOR ONE SCHOOL FARE.

View attachment 2032762

View attachment 2032751

I did a little walking around a parking lot while my wife was shopping. Got some good exercise and found 4 coins, a cheapie ring and a plated mushroom pendant. Nothing great, but you have to keep looking because the next one might be gold.

View attachment 2032759

So I took one last trip to camp before they open. I will be there for a week of camp, but I may be too busy to do any swingin. So this could be my last hunt there until mid August when camp closes.

The camp has been producing a nice variety and this trip was no exception. In 6 hours I found 144 coins with a face value of $9.97, 69 camp tent pegs, parts to an old wooden ruler, sinkers, an Allen wrench, 2 rope tensioners, 3 scout pins, 3 leatherwork stamps, part of a fishing lure, a Coleman lantern zipper pull, a key, 2 tokens, a fake cob coin, a scout knife, 6 neckerchief slides, some tabs, melted foil and junk.

View attachment 2032763

View attachment 2032770

The tokens are 2 different sizes of the American Eagle NO CASH VALUE tokens and the fake cob is one I have found many times before and has the word COPY on it.

View attachment 2032765

The slides are 3 Webelos slides (the style has never changed over the years) and 3 older style Cub Scout slides. The center one has been mashed flat.

View attachment 2032764

The ruler pieces were out in the middle of the woods. I have been venturing out away from the camp sites more hoping to find areas that may have been used a long time ago and are no longer in use. These pieces were all together in the same hole. You can see the ruler markings on the larger piece. With a little research I was able to find a match. It is a Stanley #36. Not exactly sure when they were made, but chances are this one was lost before the scouts got here in 1980.

View attachment 2032766

View attachment 2032767

View attachment 2032768

View attachment 2032771

I know some of you will not like this part, but I found another friend while I was swingin. He was hiding in the greenbriars. He was a 4 feet long black rat snake. My brothers and I used to catch snakes and keep them as pets when we were kids. I left this guy alone. These guys eat a lot of mice and other pests and are harmless. Years ago I heard someone say that the black snakes were mating with copperheads. People were seeing the patterns on the black rat snake and thinking it was a cross breed. The black rat snake is born gray and brown with markings SIMILAR to those of a copperhead. When they mature they are black, but you can see the pattern faintly in their scales. A lot of people kill all snakes on site which is a pity because most are harmless and beneficial. Keep your eyes open and just leave them alone, they do NOT attack and only bite in self defense if you step on they, corner them or try and pick them up.

View attachment 2032769

So another decent week, no silver, but interesting stuff and decent clad. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.
Nice Hunt!!!! Congrats!!!!

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat stuff, congrats!
I'm pretty sure the knurled knob in the first pic is from the globe lid on a Coleman lantern. I had that burned into my thumb and index finger when I was about 12. Why they would put an inviting knob on the hottest part of a lantern is a mystery to me. Lesson learned.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat stuff, congrats!
I'm pretty sure the knurled knob in the first pic is from the globe lid on a Coleman lantern. I had that burned into my thumb and index finger when I was about 12. Why they would put an inviting knob on the hottest part of a lantern is a mystery to me. Lesson learned.
Thanks for the input. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2032752

View attachment 2032753

View attachment 2032754

View attachment 2032755

View attachment 2032756

View attachment 2032757

View attachment 2032758

View attachment 2032760

View attachment 2032761

View attachment 2032762

View attachment 2032751

View attachment 2032759

View attachment 2032763

View attachment 2032770

View attachment 2032765

View attachment 2032764

View attachment 2032766

View attachment 2032767

View attachment 2032768

View attachment 2032771

View attachment 2032769

great haul and a cool variety of finds. especially like that bus token

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat stuff, congrats!
At first I thought it was a valve stem cap,but I do believe you,re correct!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!

Your flatten bullet might be one of these?
View attachment 2039636
Thanks for your input. I’m sure it is not a wad cutter. It is way too large to be one. (The picture of my bullet is on quarter inch grid paper) I have dug over 500 fired civil war bullets and I am almost positive it is a Williams type II.

Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bunch of finds. I would say you dug your fanny off. Thanks for posting

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2032752

View attachment 2032753

View attachment 2032754

View attachment 2032755

View attachment 2032756

View attachment 2032757

View attachment 2032758

View attachment 2032760

View attachment 2032761

View attachment 2032762

View attachment 2032751

View attachment 2032759

View attachment 2032763

View attachment 2032770

View attachment 2032765

View attachment 2032764

View attachment 2032766

View attachment 2032767

View attachment 2032768

View attachment 2032771

View attachment 2032769

I run across snakes all the time, especially rattle snakes (affectionately known here in WVa as "slim" ) I won't kill them but I will kill a copperhead which is more aggressive if I have to. Other snakes such as black snakes, garter snakes etc are beneficial

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions