abandoned mines, old mines etc..

chris rizin

May 6, 2013
Fair Oaks CA
Detector(s) used
brand new in the box hunk of junk discriminator 11 i got for twenty bucks!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone... I have been looking for information regarding accessible old abandoned mines. I have zero interest entering them by the way. I had back surgery about a year ago and still deal with a lot of pain, anyway I do a little prospecting and hiking for exercise. I have really gotten into geology, mineralogy and would really like to be able to find some areas to hike around these historical area mines. I live in Fair Oaks just outside of Sacramento so if anyone has any information regarding online sites I can view of maps (other than the typical blm site or .gov sites) or maybe places you have been and feel like sharing the location with me I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to respond here or in private message as well. Thanks for your time.

Chris

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Chris!
There is an app for iPhone called diggers map. It sounds like it's right up your ally, it's a geologists dream!
Have fun and heal quickly!

OP
OP
chris rizin

chris rizin

May 6, 2013
Fair Oaks CA
Detector(s) used
brand new in the box hunk of junk discriminator 11 i got for twenty bucks!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Chris! There is an app for iPhone called diggers map. It sounds like it's right up your ally, it's a geologists dream! Have fun and heal quickly!

Yea I have the app, totally forgot about it! Thanks for the response and reminder..

Chris

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are very few abandoned mines. Most are still under claim and many of the larger ones may be Patented Mining Claims and not listed on BLM maps as mining claims.

A friend of mine owns a Patented Mine as has yearly problems with people removing his private property keep out signs and filing mining claims.
he has also had people pull guns on him claiming that it was there property(mining claims.

He has now put game camera covering his new trespassing signs and has had people arrested for removing his signs and entering his property..

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link to the USGS historic topo map database
USGS US Topo and Historical Topographic Map Collection
You can also search the USGS archives for their Mines and Mining minerology reports which were printed several times a year dating back to the 1800's. Hope this helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions