Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

ABANDONED TRAILS IN SILVER COUNTRY

Introductionā€¦

Silver country represents a small part of a vast, heavily forested wilderness perched on the sprawling Precambrian Shield here in northeastern Ontario. Away from the small towns and villages, and widely scattered farms and rural homesteads, there exists a largely uninterrupted way of life in the more remote areas. There are uncounted miles of lonely country backroads, overgrown tracks leading to abandoned mining camps, innumerable rough timber lanes, and a virtually infinite tangle of winding trails that reach deeply into the distant forests.

Nothing in my experience has been so completely companionable as the soft forest whisperings and the beckoning solitude that reigns over this ruggedly beautiful country. This is where my carefree days of autumn prospecting have been agreeably spent for many years. We returned again this year to unbounded, satisfying autumn days of kicking rocks, exploring and detector-prospecting adventures, followed by evenings spent evaluating silver ores and hot coffee over blazing campfires.

Irrespective of silver recoveries, the flaming autumn colors of the boreal forest are the real treasure of the season. They persist for only a few short weeks, reluctantly yielding to the autumnal yellows of the tamarack, birch, and aspen in sharp contrast to the deep conifer greens. Scenery as depicted below accentuates your enthusiasm to get into the field, and pretty much ensures that an autumn prospecting trip to silver country is a memorable experience.

AUTUMN ELECTRONIC PROSPECTING BBBLSF.JPG

General Discussionā€¦

Unprecedented, persistently wet conditions eliminated any potential for a banner season, but nonetheless we did manage to find considerable worthwhile silver. In addition to an assortment of rich silver and associated minerals, my friend Sheldon Ward recovered a large, very high conductive native silver ore that weā€™ll take a closer look at shortly. Most of my quality silver finds were fairly smallā€¦ although a specimen grade silver ore at five pounds was found during the final week of the trip, and frankly I felt very fortunate to get it. Larger material was recovered, for example a 24-pound highgrade silver ore from the same areaā€¦ but these invariably were mixed ores dominated by cobalt and various arsenides, most notably niccolite as illustrated below.

2.6 LB NICCOLITE SILVER SFLOGDEEE14.JPG

On a more positive note, we both found plentiful small silver generally ranging between one-half and ten ounces that added real weight to the orebag over the seasonā€™s duration. It is much easier to find small but rich, high character silver than is the case with larger material. Even so, specimen grade detectable silver in any size range is becoming increasingly difficult to find at many of the obvious, readily accessible sites nowadays.

The photo below is a pretty fair representation of the overall quality, although anything below a half-oz was excluded from this shotā€¦ such are not terribly photogenic beside larger samples. Some rich ā€˜nuggetyā€™ ores were HCl acid-bathed to free the silver from carbonate rock, and all samples were subjected to a rotary tool circular wire brush to remove surface residues, followed by a dish detergent wash and rinse.

SMALL SILVER IN GOLDPAN SSWETYY14.JPG

By way of a brief background explanation to readers unfamiliar with this prospecting application, we search for more valuable coin-size and larger pieces of silver. Natural native silver target ID is determined by physical and chemical factors such as silver purity, types of mineral inclusions, structure (for exampleā€¦ dendritic, plate, disseminated, massive), size, shape, and the profile presented to the coil. Virtually all natural silver from this area will target ID from low foil up to a maximum of silver dime range. Only infrequently over the years have we found isolated, rare examples of our naturally occurring silver exceeding that range.

The specimen depicted below is a commonplace example of silver typically recovered here. It isn't terribly large or particularly handsomeā€¦ but it is mostly comprised of native silver by weight. Its target ID is a bit elevated from the usual, but consider that even small changes to some of the more influential factors listed above can significantly alter target ID. I tend to pay minimal attention to it when evaluating samples.

It was detected adjacent to an abandoned mining track that leads directly to a former mill site at the mining camp scene depicted above. No treatment required other than a leather glove rubdown followed by a soapy wash and rinseā€¦ in fact it looked quite presentable fresh out of the dirt. The darker material you see is heavily tarnished native silver that I intend to leave undisturbed.

1.7 MASSIVE AG CALCITE SFY1G18GR.JPG

Ground conditions also play an important role in determining target ID, and refer to factors such as strength of non-conductive magnetic susceptible iron minerals, ground moisture content, proximity of adjacent targets, and disturbed ground. These factors sometimes contribute to good silver at depth producing a VLF target ID in the iron range.

Probably the best photo example available to me is a specimen found a few years back at good depth in tough magnetic diabase. It produced a predominantly iron target ID on the Fisher F75. It was detected in a fairly low trash area, the signal was suspect, and it was checked with the groundgrab feature. In this instance, there was no ground phase reduction to more conductive values as would be anticipated over rusty iron or a positive hotrock, and so the target was dug.

But otherwise, the rule of thumb over questionable weaker signals is to remove some material to acquire a stronger signal and target ID readout before making a decision to continue digging in our difficult, hard-packed rocky substrates, or move on. If there is the least doubt we dig the target and learn what actually produced the signal.

5.2 OZT AG NUGGET SF18YGLOGS.JPG

The specimen depicted below was found by eyesight while hiking along an old abandoned rail track. In the field our rock samples seem more attractive or valuable than they do once we return to camp, where we tend to view them far more critically. If they donā€™t look to have good specimen grade potential, my samples either get chucked or given away. But thatā€™s just meā€¦ others are more resourceful with unwanted samples, theyā€™re refined by some, subjected to treatments, or slabbedā€¦ and ultimately sold. In any case, this rock didn't terribly impress me and was placed with the other discards on the picnic table. But nobody other than my wife seemed much interested in it, and that is how it came to be included here.

In its original condition, it could only be described as nondescript, with very little showing on the surface prior to treatment. It did produce a broad solid PI signal, despite that the few surface indicators were non-conductive dark ruby silver pyrargyrite and to a much lesser extent what I think is the black silver sulfosalt stephanite. To see more, it was acid-washed to expose silver and associated minerals, cleaned-up with a rotary tool followed by a dish detergent bath and rinse.

Both these minerals produce a good luster that makes them a bit more difficult to distinguish from native silver in a photo. But in reality it is easy to see the differences and do some simple tests to confirm if necessary. As it turned outā€¦ the sample does have a good showing of dendritic native silverā€¦ a timely reminder that metal detectors see what we initially canā€™t see inside rocks.

2.2 LB NATIVE RUBY CALCITE SF19Y1G.JPG

Abandoned Trails, Minesite Tracks and Roadbedsā€¦

Abandoned, frequently overgrown trails, mining tracks, and roadbeds provide convenient routes to prime detecting sites that otherwise would be much more difficult to access. But the important thing is that most such routes were built with discarded mine tailings to considerable depth, and contain good silver more frequently than you might think possible. Some snake through the bush to more remote areas, but the vast majority of these now abandoned routes were built to service existing minesites at the time. They were used to transport discarded rock to the tailing disposal areas, and silver ores to storage buildings and to mill sites, and generally to service other mining camp requirements.

ABANDONED TRAILS SFRR14.JPG

We know from research and experience that silver was misgraded, inadvertently misplaced, or lost directly from spills to eventually reside on, within, or alongside these now abandoned trails and roadbeds. These mine tailingsā€¦ frequently containing rich silverā€¦ were also used to build storage beds, minesite entrances, loading ramps, and as notedā€¦ routes to facilitate waste rock transport. All these offer excellent, obvious prospects to search with a suitable metal detector.

The nugget below, with several other pieces, was found in the tailings adjacent to the abandoned track in the photo above. Some good weather following a horrendous week of persistent heavy rainfalls prompted me to head out late one afternoon for some casual detecting. I had sampled those tailings earlier in the season but nothing by way of thorough searching. And while the silver was generally small, it had been surprisingly good quality. So I was looking forward to a few relaxing hours of detectingā€¦ nothing ambitious that late in the dayā€¦ just happy to get out of camp.

That particular spot formerly housed storage beds, and was now replete with large rusty nails. I should have used a VLF unit, as things would have gone much more quickly. VLF motion all-metal detection depth in that moderate ground would pretty well match Infinium equipped with the 8ā€ mono, with the further advantage of target ID. If conductive pyrrhotite hotrocks had also been present, I would have switched over to my F75 or MXT.

But I stayed with the Infinium primarily because I enjoy using it. By comparison it is slow going, but that isn't such a bad thing over potentially good ground. It silences what can be described as VLF ground noise, in addition to sizable non-conductive mafic hotrocks in this area. It also has some limited high conductive iron handling capability, for example elongated iron such as drillrods or rail spikes at sufficient depth that VLF unitsā€¦ even using small iron discriminationā€¦ misidentify with perfectly good signals and non-ferrous target ID readouts. More information on this subject can be found atā€¦ Garret Infinium Silver Rock Hunting - Revised Edition February 2011 White's TDI Pro in Silver Country [including Infinium Comparison]

Nearly all the signals proved to be nails, plus one drillbit with a perpendicular profile to the coil. The silver below produced a low-high signal in zero discrimination and a good high-low signal in reverse discrimination at maybe eight to ten inches depthā€¦ almost identical to the drillbit. The exposed silver was unusually tarnished and the remainder partially embedded in carbonate rock. It was acid-bathed to free the silver, cleaned with a rotary tool diamond bit and circular wire brush, followed by a detergent wash and rinse.

9.6 OZT SILVER NUGGET SFPANGY17GRN.JPG

While searching one such abandoned route with his Fisher F75, Sheldon Ward found a large highgrade silver ore comprised of a thick calcite vein containing massive dendritic native silver. It should weigh about 20 lbs give or take a bit, and is attached to dark country rock. It generated a moderate but broad signal from several feet depth, requiring about 30 minutes of hard pick and shovel work to recover it. It possesses an unusually elevated target ID well above silver dime range, making it quite rare indeed. Over nearly 30 years in this area and perhaps thousands of silver samples later, I've seen only a handful of silver produce a similar target ID.

On site we obviously have the benefit of closely examining the vein material, but itā€™s impossible for readers to evaluate the silver based on the photos below because of the camera to rock distance and the smudged dirt layer on the vein. And outdoor photos do tend to make native silver look much like grey rock. A better view of the cleaned sample can be had at Sheldonā€™s photobucket link to a half-minute video.
http://vid307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/InsaneTundra/P1020237.mp4

Sheldon if you happen to be reading along here, congratulations on your many superb silver and associated mineral recoveries over the past year. Nothing that your dedication and persistence achieves in the years to come will ever surprise me. :)

SHELDON WARD & ROCK.JPG

SHELDON'S HIGHGRADE SILVER.JPG

Persistence Pays Dividendsā€¦

Letā€™s wrap things up with a tale about the rock sample below. It was recovered at the edge of a tangled overgrown trail near a former millsite just a few years ago. Its recovery exemplifies that the more you work towards your objective of finding silver or gold, the more likely your luck will correspondingly improve.

Iā€™d been searching that particular area for two days without meaningful results while evaluating a newly purchased Garrett Infinium for this application. The second day had again been filled with digging hard-packed rocky substrates for iron junk, worthless or otherwise unwanted arsenides, and plenty of conductive pyrrhotite hotrocks. As the sun was reaching for the western horizon, I decided to make one final effort before heading elsewhere the following day.

Methodically working along the old track towards the mill, lots of old diggings were plainly evident. But previous hunters had avoided an area with a scattering of large, flat rusty iron pieces and other miscellaneous modern trash. I moved quickly to clear it away, because daylight was fading fast beneath the dense forest canopy. My Infinium soon produced a surprisingly strong high-low signal that practically vanished in reverse discriminationā€¦ a promising indication of naturally occurring ores. I dug down a foot before my Propointer could locate the signal.

Probability says that it could have been any number of possible targets altogether more likely than good silver. But fickle Lady Luck was more kindly disposed towards me that evening. The rich, finely dendritic piece depicted below was in my gloved hands just as twilight was stealing across that lonely abandoned trail in remote silver country.

5.2 LB SILVER IN CALCITE DDSFGR14.JPG

A Final Wordā€¦

A special mention to my friend Dr. Jim Eckert. I hadnā€™t seen much of Jim recently, but happened across his trail late one overcast afternoon in the outback. I was about to hike into a site when this fellow came flying down the trail on a motorbike, and despite the riding helmet I recognized him. We had a good long chat about this and thatā€¦

Later in the season, one bright sunny afternoon at the site of my short-lived testhole diggings, Jim stopped around to show me a recent specimen find comprised of native silver and possibly crystalline stephanite. We talked mineralogy and other interests many hours until finally the sun was going down. These were highlights of the trip, and I want to say how much I enjoyed and appreciated having that companionable time together.

Thanks to everyone for dropping by. We hope that you enjoy presentations about our silver, particularly since it is different from what many rockhunters normally encounter in their areas. All the very best with your prospecting adventuresā€¦ perhaps one day it will be our good luck to meet you in the field.

Jim Hemmingway
December 2014

Last edited:
Upvote 4

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Jim- Greetings from the west Texas oil patch. Always nice to see your posts! I love the scenery and the fall colors in your pictures. The silver finds are absolutely amazing! A Merry Christmas to you!

I keep your other long detailed silver posts bookmarked and have read them many times in order to soak up the knowledge you've been so kind to share. I'll be bookmarking this one for sure. Many thanks for being willing to share your adventures and techniques.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a claim on both Birch and Ruby plus one that is difficult to reach in an outlying area that I will probably forfeit. I have had claims on other creeks, but they were not was I was after. There is still active mining on most of the top 7 historic creeks in the area. They best detecting is for those who can get into the pits after the machines are done. What I like about fine gold, is at least you are finding something, but there is a great deal to be said about the clichƩ "two cents looks like a million dollars". I have an awful time when I show my wife a jar of fines and explain it took two weeks and oodles of $$ to scavenge it out. There is noting like a "sassy" nugget (stealing Lanny's ADJ).

It is interesting that you sometimes find a bit of gold with the silver. By the way, nice picture. You have a skill to be able to photo and show off your specimens in such an attractive way.

It was the Ruby that I was trying to remember when I last posted to you. At least I think it was... I recollect you had to drive through the townsite, and continue along the dirt road skirting the lakeshore... more or less... to get to the Ruby. But it wasn't very far. I do have detailed records for the area, but not sure exactly which storage file cabinet to look for in the basement.

The above highlighted quote. I agree with you, you're quite right in what you say. It is so easy to make a bold statement like "detect it or forget it" on a forum from the comfort on one's home, but your remarks brought back a clear memory of being delighted with the swirling gold particles in my pan at clean-up. I say "swirling" because a lot of that gold was quite flat and a good portion of it floated until the surface tension was broken. I remember the smell of the roiled stream water, it was brown with suspended / colloidal sediments from the operation upstream.

Well I must say placergold that you have posted some interesting comments that bring back a lot of good memories. That really is a beautiful area, cool in late summer to make for ideal search conditions. There is also a public camping area right on the fringe of the townsite, and not too bad at all. You know, my fondest memories run to the local laundromat... I was never so glad as to discover it and get my bag of filthy clothes cleaned. It was a great clearinghouse for information and meeting a lot of others visiting the area... at the time that included a journalist / photographer from National Geographic, and the folks who invited me to hunt their claim.

Do you happen to have a photo of the area that could be posted here? If so, could you size it to roughly a 100 KB or slightly less and maybe post it here?? I'd sure like to see something from the area...

Jim.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
very nice Jim, great post very informative. Hope you and all your ladies had a wonderful Christmas.May next year be even better for you and your loved ones. That is some amazing specimens .Keep it up.

Hi Jim... I am delighted to hear from you again... it has been awhile. I hope all is well with you and the family, I can only imagine your boys are growing up all too fast. I hope you've been able to get them out to do some dredging with you.

Oh well... I'm not sure what to say about the girls here, other than now I seem to have three kindly bosses... the wife of course, and my two daughters. But if I thought any of them were seriously interested in running this ship, I'd gladly give them the helm... because I have no further interest at all. A future without tedious, ceaseless house-chores looks good, the main thing is to live long enough to enjoy some of it.

Hope your Christmas was good Jim, and I would like to wish you and yours all the very best in the forthcoming New Year. :)

Jim.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim- Greetings from the west Texas oil patch. Always nice to see your posts! I love the scenery and the fall colors in your pictures. The silver finds are absolutely amazing! A Merry Christmas to you!

I keep your other long detailed silver posts bookmarked and have read them many times in order to soak up the knowledge you've been so kind to share. I'll be bookmarking this one for sure. Many thanks for being willing to share your adventures and techniques.

Hi IanSF... thankyou for dropping by with those kindly comments. It is a long way from your west Texas oil patch to our silver country up on the Shield. But over the years I've met a number of guys from Texas searching for silver.

In fact, probably the best silver float I've ever seen was found by some guys from Texas and Tennessee. They'd been up for a week and during the last day I met one fellow who had been looking at real estate in the area, while his two partners had gone float hunting. We hunted for an afternoon together and said our goodbyes later on. At the day's end I was sitting on the rear bumper of my truck having coffee, when I saw a car racing up the road towards me, with a great plume of dust following along. They swerved up the minesite driveway to show me what they'd found. It took two strapping men to lift this float out of the car trunk.

Up until that time, such a piece had only existed in my imagination. Beautiful, gleaming silver with small patches of dark moist earth everywhere. Memories are uncertain at times, but if I hazarded a guess now, that float probably weighed somewhere near 150 lbs. By contrast, I dashed outside to take the photo below, it's a very good representation of the small stuff that constituted the vast majority of my finds over the past autumn. Despite what looks like a lot of calcite, most of the weight of this sample is native silver, and you can see that it has good character... I'm happy to get this sort of material for my "micro" collections.

I'd like to mention that if you are bookmarking, I keep updated articles under the TreasureNet by Location, the Canada sub-forum... these are way down near the bottom of the forum listings. Hope you had a good Christmas, and we would like to wish you all the very best in the forthcoming New Year. :)

2.2 TROY OZ PAN SFYYY14P.JPG

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is funny that you mention the silted water. I learned this year at the recreation site that the water can be crystal clear and then boom - it rises by a few inches and is so dirty that you can no longer see anything. I drove around to see where it was coming from, but never figured that one out. I also got wet when it happened because I could not tell the good places to step.

Here are a few pictures:

Attachments

• atlin 12.jpg
    atlin 12.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 103
  • atlin 11.jpg
    atlin 11.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 103
  • atlin 10.jpg
    atlin 10.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 125
  • atlin 9.jpg
    atlin 9.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 113
  • atlin 8.jpg
    atlin 8.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 101
  • atlin 7.jpg
    atlin 7.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 115
  • atlin 6.jpg
    atlin 6.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 94
  • atlin 4.jpg
    atlin 4.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 99
  • atlin 3.jpg
    atlin 3.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 106
  • atlin 2.jpg
    atlin 2.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 132
  • atlin 1.jpg
    atlin 1.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Merci beaucoup placergold, those pictures bring back a lot of good memories. Some of the bush shots I don't recognize but the townsite photo indicates not much has changed in 25 years. The 4th photo down from the top, ID #1099291, looks a lot like the view from the recreational site looking downstream into the small canyon... or at least it is quite steep-sided.

I imagine the bottom three shots are from your claims, as I don't recognize them at all. The top shot of the fast-food outlet wasn't there in the old days. Too bad, many is the time I could have used a burger and fries at the end of the day. I think I would like to revisit the area, its a long drive but if I did it, there is no way in heck I would drive out to BC and not stop off for coffee and a sandwich with Lanny... even if it meant a big detour to find him.

Thanks again placergold for the memories, any fool can understand why you return to that area year after year... breathtakingly beautiful country. :cool:

Below is a five-pound piece found late in the season, it hasn't been treated, but was cleaned with dish detergent. Itā€™s high density, slight erythrite dusting for added interest, but needs to be judiciously acid-bathed to expose more silver. There was no place for it in the ā€˜Abandoned Trailsā€™ article, and the cold, wet weather here discouraged cleaning any non-essential ores out in the patio. This could be my last post to this thread, so I figured it might as well be tossed in...

Jim.
5.0 LB NATIVE & RELATED CALCITE PAN .JPG

cryptic

Oct 10, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to write this article. I always enjoy reading about your visits to the area and the hunt for great silver specimens. I agree that is becoming increasingly difficult to find nice specimens these days. It is not uncommon to spend a full day of silver hunting only to return home with a few small pieces of silver to show for it. Once in a while you might find something really good.

I finally got around to removing the dark rock the silver vein was attached to. It came off fairly easy and now the total weight of that piece is 25 pounds. It is a solid vein of silver in calcite with a little bit of rock on each side. Certainly a fine example that anyone would be proud to display.

You ended your trip at a very good time. Shortly after all of the rain we were having decided to stop the snow came. A lot of it.

Hope to get together again next year and do some more hunting, sit around the fire enjoying a coffee, and just being out in The Abandoned Trails in Silver Country.

Here is a quick picture I took of the 25 lb. silver vein with the extra rock removed. A small acid bath would reveal more silver.

Sheldon.

IMAG1100_1.jpg

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seasonā€™s Greetings Sheldonā€¦ you are welcome, the article was a pleasure to do. I may have mentioned to you earlier that ā€˜Abandoned Trailsā€™ pretty much wrote itself. I sit back and detachedly watch my fingers running amuck along the keyboard, its almost surreal and then presto, itā€™s done. Sometimes it seems as if I had nothing to do with it, but regardlessā€¦ me and whoever controls these fingers are both glad you enjoyed it. :wink:

I knew you were contemplating separating the vein from the host rock. Exposing the perimeter sidewalls to acid will definitely improve its looks. If there is a thin wafer of host rock on either the top or bottom, keep a close eye on it to see that acid doesn't work its way beneath it and chew away a good deal of the calcite deeply into the silver. Following any acid treatment, you might consider a more complete cleaning / polish such as was done to the silver specimen posted above to Clay Diggins. To that end, Iā€™ll inquire tomorrow about the specifics as to how that sample was treated. It should prove more effective and a real timesaver.

In closing Sheldon, allow me to say how much I enjoyed and appreciated your companionship this past autumn, it was always a joy to see you. It was good to see some of your beautiful findsā€¦ not just that extraordinary wire silver, but the handsome bismuth sample, large galena, and many other silver samples. You've done so well to date, but there will be many more successes in your electronic prospecting future. Happy New Year to you and the family, our very best wishes for every success in the forthcoming season. Below is a beautiful example of fern silver, courtesy of our good friend Dr. Jim Eckertā€¦

Jim.

14 LB SLABBED DENDRITIC 'FERN' SILVER SF B.JPG

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thinking about driving out there next summer, but it is 72 hours in the truck. It would be nice to have my own vehicle with me and all of my supplies, dog, ATV, etc. Not bad if there are two drivers, but probably too much for one guy.

The top two pictures were from town. The food from that shack was excellent and the owner/cook a really nice guy. On the downside, you won't get any change from a $20 for lunch. The next two pictures were from a claim that I let go on Wilson Creek. There was some fine gold, but not the kind of spot that I was hoping for - - although the scenery was great and the camping spot perfect. The river was stuffed with grayling and I could catch dinner on a fly in a few minutes. The last pictures were my Birch Creek claim - mostly hand stack cobbles and exposed bedrock. I don't think the creek is big enough to replenish the gold, so along the obvious/exposed areas was poor prospecting.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim, that was very interesting and extremely well-written. Thanks.

And thanks for memories you brought back of the Pozo Seco Singers.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim, that was very interesting and extremely well-written. Thanks.

And thanks for memories you brought back of the Pozo Seco Singers.

Hi Goldpanner Daveā€¦ thankyou for taking an interest and stopping by with your kindly comments above. It seems odd to me that it has only been three weeks since starting this threadā€¦ and yet between the whirlwind of shopping, Christmas, and holiday family gatherings, somehow it feels like generations ago.

Weā€™re glad you enjoyed ā€˜Abandoned Trailsā€™ and the Christmas tune posted above that brings back memories of the Pozo Seco Singers. That encourages me to post the photo below depicting a specimen found a few years backā€¦ a good example of a branching or dendritic native silver in a calcite matrix.

We would like to wish you a happy and prosperous forthcoming New Year, and all the very best with your prospecting endeavors... good luck and good hunting. :)

Jim.

2.2 LB DENDRITIC SILVER SFY14 McKINLEY-DARRAGH.JPG

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am thinking about driving out there next summer, but it is 72 hours in the truck. It would be nice to have my own vehicle with me and all of my supplies, dog, ATV, etc. Not bad if there are two drivers, but probably too much for one guy.

The top two pictures were from town. The food from that shack was excellent and the owner/cook a really nice guy. On the downside, you won't get any change from a $20 for lunch. The next two pictures were from a claim that I let go on Wilson Creek. There was some fine gold, but not the kind of spot that I was hoping for - - although the scenery was great and the camping spot perfect. The river was stuffed with grayling and I could catch dinner on a fly in a few minutes. The last pictures were my Birch Creek claim - mostly hand stack cobbles and exposed bedrock. I don't think the creek is big enough to replenish the gold, so along the obvious/exposed areas was poor prospecting.

Placergoldā€¦ looking at those scene photos from your claims, I was thinking about the higher ground, the slopes rising from the creek bottoms. I take it that you would have sampled those slopes and any benches above, although I realize the steep ones would be more difficult to navigate. Those streams were hard hit in bygone days, some like the Spruce were diverted several times from the main channel.

While the creek bottoms may be hard to resistā€¦ I do think time spent on the higher ground depicted in your photos might produce some surprises with a suitable detector. Would you be able to describe the ground minerals within the general area of your Birch Creek claim, and have you used a modern prospecting-capable VLF detector there? If not, what GPX5000 timing seems to you to work best over that ground?

If you have any more photos of the general area, or of your Birch Creek claim that you can conveniently post, then please feel free to do so. The photo below depicts a native silver nugget found just a few years ago with a Fisher F75 and stock 11ā€ DD coil using the motion all-metal mode.

Jim.

3.7 OZT AG NUGGET SF18YGROR.JPG

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Goldpanner Daveā€¦ thankyou for taking an interest and stopping by with your kindly comments above. It seems odd to me that it has only been three weeks since starting this threadā€¦ and yet between the whirlwind of shopping, Christmas, and holiday family gatherings, somehow it feels like generations ago.

Weā€™re glad you enjoyed ā€˜Abandoned Trailsā€™ and the Christmas tune posted above that brings back memories of the Pozo Seco Singers. That encourages me to post the photo below depicting a specimen found a few years backā€¦ a good example of a branching or dendritic native silver in a calcite matrix.

We would like to wish you a happy and prosperous forthcoming New Year, and all the very best with your prospecting endeavors... good luck and good hunting. :)

Jim.

Actually, it was the quote in your sigline, "Time, oh good sweet time...where did you go?" See

They had a great sound. The actual quote was "Time, oh good, good time...where did you go?" but it was close enough to remind of the group from the 60's.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a GPX5000, used mostly with an 8x5 waterproof Coiltech Platypus Mono. Soil timings special - fine gold, motion slow, rx gain 14, signal peak 16 and tracking medium. It disregarded most hot rocks, but there were still some that sounded off. It was really hard to resist the bedrock around the creek. It looked so darn good, but for sure the obvious crevices had been effectively and completely cleaned out and the existing creek is not large enough to replenish.

One side of the creek has a steep slope and lots of large slide rock. The other side is not as steep and without exposed bedrock - it may have been cat mined in places a long time ago and is now densely overgrown with low brush birch. I suspect the creek itself may in fact have been relocated by earlier mining below the canyon (the old timers knew what they were doing and would have done this to work in the dry). I was hoping to find some indication of gold along the creek which might indicate a place to look above in either of the banks. The creek was not powerful enough to move coarse gold very far. This creek was known for unusually coarse gold. However, this strategy only found one place that I would say merits further investigation, with some very small (rice size) pieces of rough quartz with visible gold. I mostly found little slivers of iron (from mining equipment) and lead bullets and brass. The area must get hit hard by bird hunters (brass, lead 22 and shot were everywhere).

I was handcuffed on this last trip by the fellow who was with me. While we were there, some hunters shot a caribou up the canyon. He was terrified that the gut pile would attract bears. He also did not like to be left alone. I benefited because he paid half the expenses, but will probably not travel with him again. The fact that there were no bear tracks or scat did not dissuade him. As such, I did not get to climb the hills as I would have liked nor checked out the top end of the main canyon or its tributary. I would very much like to move aside some of the hand stack cobbles to see what might be underneath. As for pictures, he was supposed to be the photographer, but the shots he took were not so much about the geology and instead focused on long photos of mountains, clouds, cabins, etc. All in all, it was a bit of a bust for me.

The main mining on the creek was below my claim, starting maybe 1KM below. Minor amounts of visible hard rock gold have been found in quartz veins between Boulder and Birch along a major fault line that is about the same distance from both creeks and then tends over Boulder at the top. There is a small tributary to Birch on my claim that cuts over towards that fault, but I have not yet been up it. It is believed that some of the gold in Birch, Boulder and Pine may be from pockets of gold along this fault line.

As for the mineralization, there was quite a bit of rust stained and milky quartz. Some of the quartz was wormy. The quartz boulders had sporadic traces of pyrite and arsine pyrite and larger pieces had occasional traces of galena.

I will post a few more pictures shortly.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
exposed bedrock.jpg slide.jpg handstack.jpg

The first picture shows some of the common fractured exposed bedrock. On the second slide, the ATV belonged to the caribou hunters. You can see on the right side the whole mountain side is all slide rock. There are other places further up the canyon that are similar. On the last picture, is some of the hand stack below the canyon along the edge of the current creek. There are also places off to the side of the creek with similar stacks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually, it was the quote in your sigline, "Time, oh good sweet time...where did you go?" See

They had a great sound. The actual quote was "Time, oh good, good time...where did you go?" but it was close enough to remind of the group from the 60's.

Goldpanner Dave... doggone it, you are 101% right about my signature line... I always loved that song... once had it on an old tape but that tape eventually wouldn't play. It is such a sad, melancholy but endearing song of reflection about our lives... it found a place in my heart and the feelings I associate with it have endured for many, long decades.

I am glad you returned to this thread and cleared that up for me. I had wondered, but didn't want to say anything above. I simply presumed you had referred mistakenly to the Beach Boys. What a fool I am... but hey... I'm a happy fool today thanks to you. What a nice surprise, thanks Dave. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

OP
OP
Jim Hemmingway

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Placergold... give me a day to reply to the above. I'm going to dig out my information on the area and then I will get back to you.

Jim.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goldpanner Dave... doggone it, you are 101% right about my signature line... I always loved that song... once had it on an old tape but that tape eventually wouldn't play. It is such a sad, melancholy but endearing song of reflection about our lives... it found a place in my heart and the feelings I associate with it have endured for many, long decades.

I am glad you returned to this thread and cleared that up for me. I had wondered, but didn't want to say anything above. I simply presumed you had referred mistakenly to the Beach Boys. What a fool I am... but hey... I'm a happy fool today thanks to you. What a nice surprise, thanks Dave. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Jim, I also always loved this song and the group. I always thought it was Poco Seco Singers from the radio (they always pronounced it that way). When I bought an album, I noticed the Pozo spelling. I no longer have the LP because my wife, bless her heart, years after you could only buy CD's and DVD's, tossed all my LP's (including my Marty Robbins albums!). Later when I found them gone, I asked why. She said our stereo was broke, so what good were the records. She doesn't believe in keeping stuff she considers useless. This is the biggest thing we disagree on. Oh well, I explained to her that between the albums and an old Gary Gygax wargame, she tossed over $1000. Most of that was for the game; Gygax, whom I knew, was the inventor of D & D, so his name would bring 4 figures.

Anyway, one of the members because very famous later as a country singer/writer, Don Williams (who I think wrote the lyrics to Time. I think this song was the best of the group. That is why I recognized the sigline!

Glad I read this thread because I learned so much and I got to find the song online and post it so you could listen to it. :occasion14:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1103268 View attachment 1103269 View attachment 1103270

The first picture shows some of the common fractured exposed bedrock. On the second slide, the ATV belonged to the caribou hunters. You can see on the right side the whole mountain side is all slide rock. There are other places further up the canyon that are similar. On the last picture, is some of the hand stack below the canyon along the edge of the current creek. There are also places off to the side of the creek with similar stacks.

Wow, would I love to get in there with my bazooka sluice or my 2" backpacker dredge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread