Abbey Site - Day 5 - Hammered - Finished...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were getting close to the end of the mapped scatter. We knew today would be tough (I predicted 3 scrappies, Dad predicted 2) but it needed finishing off properly. Sometimes you get the odd good outlier. The hope was for 1 hammered. In the first 3 hours we got the Roman Coins but the 4th hour we had no finds at all. Therefore, proving the edge of the scatter. At this point we decided to try the next field that had the Saxon Sceats for the last hour. Its a big field & I did the long walk to where I wanted to do a small grid, & on the 2nd run I got a hammered, so job done.
Got a little wet & the ground turn sticky after 2 hours but we made the best of a showery day.
5 hours 15 mins;

5 Roman Coins - 1 OK imitation of a Constantinopolis Commemorative Coin
Another strange Medieval Lead Token (bigger than the others, I'll have the expert look at it)
1584-86 Lizzy Halfgroat

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

Upvote 26

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys should have a show, so I can watch how you go about your hours. I do enjoy reading your posts and the strategies you describe at getting the most out of metal detecting, because your finds are some of the most interesting to see.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys should have a show, so I can watch how you go about your hours. I do enjoy reading your posts and the strategies you describe at getting the most out of metal detecting, because your finds are some of the most interesting to see.
Your not the first to mention such an idea. But I'm photophobic (SIC). My made up word for hating my photo taken, so a moving image would be hell. Therefore, never an option for me.
Not on Social Media, unless you count this. I think it's harmful to the world, & not at all Social.
The strategies you point to have taken years of honing & we are probably at the top of our game, although there will always be room for improvement. However, my main advantage - speed detecting, might slow with age. We do pace ourselves a bit now. I remember doing an 11 hour hunt & used to do lots of 7-9hr hunts. We now average 5-6hrs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader...you are like the " Energizer Bunny"...you keep going and going and going. I greatly admire your stamina and tenacity. Killer finds as always! Cheers!
Yes, I'm pretty hyper, really helps when detecting.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We were getting close to the end of the mapped scatter. We knew today would be tough (I predicted 3 scrappies, Dad predicted 2) but it needed finishing off properly. Sometimes you get the odd good outlier. The hope was for 1 hammered. In the first 3 hours we got the Roman Coins but the 4th hour we had no finds at all. Therefore, proving the edge of the scatter. At this point we decided to try the next field that had the Saxon Sceats for the last hour. Its a big field & I did the long walk to where I wanted to do a small grid, & on the 2nd run I got a hammered, so job done.
Got a little wet & the ground turn sticky after 2 hours but we made the best of a showery day.
5 hours 15 mins;

Another strange Medieval Lead Token (bigger than the others, I'll have the expert look at it)
1584-86 Lizzy Halfgroat

View attachment 2074649 View attachment 2074650 View attachment 2074651 View attachment 2074652 View attachment 2074653
Great job as always Cru

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 hours 15 mins;

1584-86 Lizzy Halfgroat

View attachment 2074649 View attachment 2074650 View attachment 2074651 View attachment 2074652 View attachment 2074653
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not the first to mention such an idea. But I'm photophobic (SIC). My made up word for hating my photo taken, so a moving image would be hell. Therefore, never an option for me.
Not on Social Media, unless you count this. I think it's harmful to the world, & not at all Social.
The strategies you point to have taken years of honing & we are probably at the top of our game, although there will always be room for improvement. However, my main advantage - speed detecting, might slow with age. We do pace ourselves a bit now. I remember doing an 11 hour hunt & used to do lots of 7-9hr hunts. We now average 5-6hrs.
I hear ya. I don't do any of the popular social media time outside of here and a little LinkedIn.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 hours 15 mins;

1584-86 Lizzy Halfgroat

Nice finds Cru',
Would love to hear more about the larger token.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to hear more about the larger token.
That will take some time (& may never happen?), as he is busy trying to finish some books. He was going to contact us, when ready, assuming he doesn't die first. Not being mean, but he is fighting & living on borrowed time. Amazing guy.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will take some time (& may never happen?), as he is busy trying to finish some books. He was going to contact us, when ready, assuming he doesn't die first. Not being mean, but he is fighting & living on borrowed time. Amazing guy.
Hope he gets a second wind... I'm not sure why but your story reminds me when Apocalypse Now was being filmed the main actor had a minor stroke.... Martin Sheen I think...he was hospitalized...the director, Martin Scorsese?was so focused on getting the film done....visited him the next day...asking him if he felt up to resume filming. :)

I'm not implying you'd do something like that... it's just triggered that memory...

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
You find some of the most amazing relics! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread