🥇 BANNER About as close to the fur-trade holy grail as I am gonna get. The Cross of Lorainne.

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20221010_143838.jpg
Now I have had a couple of decent years of detecting but nothing compared to THIS!

I found a decent fur trade site in the middle of the Michigan woods and was happy to have unearthed a couple pairs of scissors, musket ball, fire-steel, etc. The usual good stuff I love to find. I kept on until I got a decent deep high-tone and started whacking away (but being careful) and about passed out when I saw this thing sticking out from the roots.

This is a bucket-lister I never really thought I would ever see. A French silver 'Cross of Lorainne' stamped 'RC' (Robert Cruikshank / Montreal silversmith) which dates this to the late 1700s. I am not sure I can ever top it.

Crazy. Crazy. Crazy. Cheers fellow diggers!!

20221011_201720.jpg
20221011_201736.jpg
20221010_144131.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 174

Cobradude22

May 11, 2018
Crawfordsville, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
mglentz4125

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off the chart buzz! How do you plan to conserve the iron scissors? I have several iron artifacts that I need to finish conserving. For now, all I have done is put them in a bath of distilled water and calcium carbona
I used a soft wire wheel to get down to bare metal then boiled in parafin wax.

orange_sweetheart

Sep 5, 2014
Denton, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2050246 Now I have had a couple of decent years of detecting but nothing compared to THIS!

I found a decent fur trade site in the middle of the Michigan woods and was happy to have unearthed a couple pairs of scissors, musket ball, fire-steel, etc. The usual good stuff I love to find. I kept on until I got a decent deep high-tone and started whacking away (but being careful) and about passed out when I saw this thing sticking out from the roots.

This is a bucket-lister I never really thought I would ever see. A French silver 'Cross of Lorainne' stamped 'RC' (Robert Cruikshank / Montreal silversmith) which dates this to the late 1700s. I am not sure I can ever top it.

View attachment 2050243 View attachment 2050244 View attachment 2050245
That is just fabulous! Congrats!!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2050246 Now I have had a couple of decent years of detecting but nothing compared to THIS!

View attachment 2050243 View attachment 2050244 View attachment 2050245
WOWWWWWW!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY NICE FIND !!! CONGRATS !!!

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question for this thread or any thread similar to this, obviously this is worth some money, but if some day they decided to sell it or any important relic, where would you go and how would you go about doing that ?

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a ridiculously amazing find, congratulations!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question for this thread or any thread similar to this, obviously this is worth some money, but if some day they decided to sell it or any important relic, where would you go and how would you go about doing that ?
There are many ways to sell good finds. Some people put them in auctions that specialize in that type of item. Coins in coin auctions for instance. Others sell their finds online. There are also collector shows for many types of artifacts, I have sold civil war artillery shells at civil war relic shows. Selling at shows is usually good since many transactions are cash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread