🥇 BANNER About as close to the fur-trade holy grail as I am gonna get. The Cross of Lorainne.

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20221010_143838.jpg
Now I have had a couple of decent years of detecting but nothing compared to THIS!

I found a decent fur trade site in the middle of the Michigan woods and was happy to have unearthed a couple pairs of scissors, musket ball, fire-steel, etc. The usual good stuff I love to find. I kept on until I got a decent deep high-tone and started whacking away (but being careful) and about passed out when I saw this thing sticking out from the roots.

This is a bucket-lister I never really thought I would ever see. A French silver 'Cross of Lorainne' stamped 'RC' (Robert Cruikshank / Montreal silversmith) which dates this to the late 1700s. I am not sure I can ever top it.

Crazy. Crazy. Crazy. Cheers fellow diggers!!

20221011_201720.jpg
20221011_201736.jpg
20221010_144131.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 174

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful cross perfect example straight out of any fur trade book, is that first pic all of your other major finds or just the ones from the same day? I’d be curious to see the other stuff too if you have more, I found my own trade site and have developed a fascination with the period I’d love to see how they compare.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
View attachment 2050246 Now I have had a couple of decent years of detecting but nothing compared to THIS!

I found a decent fur trade site in the middle of the Michigan woods and was happy to have unearthed a couple pairs of scissors, musket ball, fire-steel, etc. The usual good stuff I love to find. I kept on until I got a decent deep high-tone and started whacking away (but being careful) and about passed out when I saw this thing sticking out from the roots.

This is a bucket-lister I never really thought I would ever see. A French silver 'Cross of Lorainne' stamped 'RC' (Robert Cruikshank / Montreal silversmith) which dates this to the late 1700s. I am not sure I can ever top it.

View attachment 2050243 View attachment 2050244 View attachment 2050245
True piece of history there!

OP
OP
mglentz4125

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful cross perfect example straight out of any fur trade book, is that first pic all of your other major finds or just the ones from the same day? I’d be curious to see the other stuff too if you have more, I found my own trade site and have developed a fascination with the period I’d love to see how they compare.
Just the finds from that day. :) I may need to work on a post with the fur-trade highlights from over the years

Oct 18, 2022
Detector(s) used
I have not used a metal detector yet. I just look for pennies after watching that viral tiktok of the 1992 penny D-closed AM that is worth around $26,000
View attachment 2050246 Now I have had a couple of decent years of detecting but nothing compared to THIS!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................according to my observations, I see a cross with two arms, I see two scissors, a nail, a magnet, a musket ball, a needle, and other pieces. Just in case if you didn't know what you're looking at :tongue3::hello2: good find though :icon_thumright::usflag::3some:

Oct 18, 2022
Detector(s) used
I have not used a metal detector yet. I just look for pennies after watching that viral tiktok of the 1992 penny D-closed AM that is worth around $26,000
Thanks for posting that....great overview!
If you or anyone knows anything about pennies, can y'all check out my account and my posts? I have some questions about pennies (Closed AM to be exact). Thanks!!

Tracey845

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2022

This is truly magnificent!! How wonderful for you!!

mrcolin2u

Dec 23, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax
Fisher CZ20
Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome find Congratulations 👏👏👏👏

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Off the chart buzz! How do you plan to conserve the iron scissors? I have several iron artifacts that I need to finish conserving. For now, all I have done is put them in a bath of distilled water and calcium carbonate.

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Beyond WOW! Cant get any earlier than that in Michigan and to just randomly find in the woods. The gods were smiling on you. Banner vote for me (after the fact)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BANNER well deserved.
You may find two articles interesting regarding Cruickshank:
AND

Don........

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! CLR would make that cross look amazing. HH & GL

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Great find! I love checking in once in a while to see finds like this to get me excited again. There is nothing more exciting than finding a new site, and nothing worse than old sites drying up and wondering if you will ever get on one again……
Oh, and scissors have always shown up at my best spots along with various metal “curls” likely cut by them

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Bravo! 👍👍👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread