Absolutely stunned. Bucket lister out of a Coinstar

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Totally surprised when I look at the coins from the reject slot and found this 1865 2 cent piece. Never imagined I would find one of those anywhere. Half the battle around here is getting to look in a machine that isn't out of order.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• coinstar 8-11.jpg
    coinstar 8-11.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • coinstar 8-11a.jpg
    coinstar 8-11a.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 87
  • coinstar 8-11b.jpg
    coinstar 8-11b.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 89

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally surprised when I look at the coins from the reject slot and found this 1865 2 cent piece. Never imagined I would find one of those anywhere. Half the battle around here is getting to look in a machine that isn't out of order.

Thanks for looking
With that kind of luck you'd better buy a LOTTERY TICKET quick!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friend of mine long ago told me stories of how his mom ran this country store out in the mid west. Said the old folks would sometimes spend large cents and other old money and eventually his mom had a whole mason jar full of 19th century coins. This was in the 1940's-1960's. I myself once found a dime from 1883 simply among some other dimes. It happens, but a 2 cent piece is definitely something extra ordinary, it's not something the average person would recognize as money since the denomination's been obsolete for so long. Lincoln was president when your coin was minted! That's simply an amazing find! 😎👍

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Friend of mine long ago told me stories of how his mom ran this country store out in the mid west. Said the old folks would sometimes spend large cents and other old money and eventually his mom had a whole mason jar full of 19th century coins. This was in the 1940's-1960's. I myself once found a dime from 1883 simply among some other dimes. It happens, but a 2 cent piece is definitely something extra ordinary, it's not something the average person would recognize as money since the denomination's been obsolete for so long. Lincoln was president when your coin was minted! That's simply an amazing find! 😎👍
Thanks. You know, I said exactly the same thing to my wife and son - that Lincoln was president when this was minted and how on earth would this wind up here. I can see how you find an 1883 dime because it is the same size as a current dime (despite the different design and being silver - so in that regard, it is like finding a merc - but just scarcer). I can't really figure how this got in the mix after all these years. My guess is the person who dumped it in the machine thought it was foreign. Still given that it has been obsolete for so long, how it made its way into that person's loose change jar in 2022, I wonder.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for looking
Fantastic! How do those type coins end up in a jar at someone’s home. Crazy.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, damn, I've been detecting 10+ years and still haven't found a 2-center. And you pull one from the grocery store! Congrats man!

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow....if you could receive a banner from the coinstar I would vote for that coin !! Incredible save !!
It is not the most valuable coin (can get one for $10-$15 on ebay) to find, but it is probably the coolest coin I have ever found IMO. I probably saved it from being thrown in the garbage by someone, and I am glad it is now preserved.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for looking
What a find! It's in good hands now!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for looking
A bucket list find...and from a coinstar!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions